The power of early food trades

I started my first game yesterday, as Morocco because I wanted to try messing with trade routes. I'll switch my boats over to trade at a later time, but quickly pumping the two new cities in my small nation up to a usable size with 7 food a turn just seemed too good to pass up.

Cargo ship gives 6 or 7, which is insane.

!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Ok ToA and fertility rights it is then :lol:

EDIT:

it is sensible to start with 1 food, then add 1f more each era, plus one or two late techs to boost another 1 or 2f

Right now it starts with 3. 3 food means 4.5 hammers, because each 2 food can support a pop working on mined hill, not to mention early growth is easier.

Can any one confirm if a newbie city without granary can send food to capital with granary?

I wouldn't complicate things as much to be honest. Instead I would make it an actual cost and having an option as to how much food and or hammers you can ship (with a hard cap OFC). By actual cost I mean those food and hammers to be reserved from the originating city instead of been conjured by thin air :D

I am curious how you have the scores displayed in the upper left? Is that a mod?

Thx
jonpfl
(i assume you mean the score table in the upper right)
it's not a mod, it's in the game at least since g&k. under options there is a box you can check that says something like "show singleplayer score list".

I'm pretty far from other civs atm, and actually chose swords to plowshares for my religion. My two towns got up to pop 7-8 very quickly.

Ok Ill try Byzantium and get all three :lol:

Truth be told I had a bad experience with plowshares in a MP game.
The others just DoWed me to deny me the buff (because they knew I am always going growth crazy) and in effect I was into a Cold War with anyone the entire game.

Won by nuking them back to the stone age though :goodjob:

Cargo ship gives 6 or 7, which is insane.

Oh really? :lol:

I was able to build a cargo in my example but didn't think about it. Thought it was more or less the same bonuses.

It's even more evident that this food exchange will be nerfed soon in a future patch.

Monarchy policy from Tradition fuels the happiness needed for growth while you are improving land before making roads.

I thought it took a % amount of what the base city had in food or hammers, is this wrong?

I thought it took a % amount of what the base city had in food or hammers, is this wrong?

Yes, that's wrong. The value for a sea route starts at 6 in the Ancient era and then increases by 1 per era. Land routes are half that.

Yes, that's wrong. The value for a sea route starts at 6 in the Ancient era and then increases by 1 per era. Land routes are half that.

I remember now that the food bonuses are increasing. Wasn't sure how. In the med. era it jumps to 5 fpt for land trades then...6 fpt is free Victoria Lakes! Free HGs!!!

Definitively too strong.

Edit :

The idea is simple : You grow your cities very high so you can build/buy everything faster. Then when you reach happiness level you switch food trade routes for gold ones with other civs/cs.

They also have double the chance of getting pillaged by barbarians. :p

Post a Caravel at either end of the trade route. At least until the barbs get the ability to travel in deep water, you can keep them off your trade route.

The idea is simple : You grow your cities very high so you can build/buy everything faster. Then when you reach happiness level you switch food trade routes for gold ones with other civs/cs.

Yup. It's now to your advantage to start tall, and then you can go wide once your happiness & gold are flowing.

naval trade routes make naval combat more relevant
i see no problem here
you're going to have to produce ships to protect the route anyways so it's an ok investment
not op

Hanging gardens with a very high maintenance would be more accurate to describe the food route.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yeah, I'm not ready to say it's OP or anything because of the very minimal experience I have playing this new game . . . on the surface it does seem VERY GOOD though.

It's more easy to defend our trade routes confined into our empire while barbs are outside. When you have the ability to protect from a larger scale the foreign trade routes it will be the time to switch from food trades to gold ones. Cities will be large enough to produce sufficient defense.

This is what i call synergy :p

I remember now that the food bonuses are increasing. Wasn't sure how. In the med. era it jumps to 5 fpt for land trades then...6 fpt is free Victoria Lakes! Free HGs!!!

Definitively too strong.

Edit :

In my game as the Shoshone, I went tradition and had it finished by the time my 3rd and 4th cities were started. Nothing like sending 4 fpt to a brand new city with a free aqueduct for 30 turns, by which time they'd grown nicely and I could then send the caravan for gold.

Is what is shipped to the other city (food or hammers) deducted from the production of the sending city?

Top Bottom