I'm the only one left with my own capital, yet no Domination Victory?

Fontaine59

Chieftain
Today I managed to defeat my archenemy Sweden and take his capital on turn 498/500. I own 5 capitals, he owns 2 or 3, but I'm the only Civ with my original capital remaining.

The victory was not awarded to me so I hit next turn to see if it would go off on turn 499. Still nothing.

I've been attempting a Domination Victory on a rewarding difficulty since the release of this game but it has always eluded me. What did I do wrong here?

Screenshots of Turn 500 (Time Victory):

Victory Progress

Spoiler :

Time Victory on notification mouseover

Spoiler :

Solved! Apparently this was recently changed to prevent capital sniping. I didn't feel as though I was winning through cheesy methods, it was difficult to make this happen. Two war fronts, tricky diplomacy, at least 8 Nuclear Missiles...

And it was a blast. I still won in the end and now that I know BNW quite well maybe I can begin to plan my next attempt. I hope this helps others not to make the same mistake I did. ;P

Domination victory was changed in BNW; to win it, you must control all original capitals (or, in OCC, have destroyed all original capitals but your own).

Victory progress has actually changed to reflect this.

I believe they tweaked the domination victory whereby you have to control EVERY capital.

Somewhere it was noted that you need to possess every original capital to win now. It's even mentioned in the "what we know" thread. Too bad Civ V's own docs (Civilopedia) are still horribly outdated and we have to scavenge all that info elsewhere.

This was a great change to prevent cheesy wins by capital sniping. You can still capital snipe but you also must pay attention to what is happening in the world and may require you to double-back to retake a capital.

To be fair, where would one check something like this? My first guess would be Civilopedia which still has the old victory condition. If I hadn't noticed errors like this before, I'd surely trust it.

Civilopedia is one of those things where Civ V's developers really blew it, they should put at least a bit of effort into keeping it up to date.

I didn't feel as though I was winning through cheesy methods, it was difficult to make this happen. Two war fronts, tricky diplomacy, at least 8 Nuclear Missiles...

And it was a blast. I still won in the end and now that I know BNW quite well maybe I can begin to plan my next attempt. I hope this helps others not to make the same mistake I did. ;P

Thanks guys.

To be fair, where would one check something like this? My first guess would be Civilopedia which still has the old victory condition. If I hadn't noticed errors like this before, I'd surely trust it.

Civilopedia is one of those things where Civ V's developers really blew it, they should put at least a bit of effort into keeping it up to date.

Yes! I looked everywhere online and double checked everything in game the first time it didnt work. I even found an old post saying something to the effect of "Just own your capital and make sure everyone else loses theirs."

So I reloaded thinking I missed it because I took Stockholm at 499 and 500 was "default time victory"

I spent another hour or so going from 495-499 again. But this time, with clever nuke tactics, I took it on turn 498. Failed again, posted here.

:cry:

Top Bottom