''Real life'' strategies that work well in CiV 5

Ranged units are way better than melee units (even if the melee units have guns and have just as much "range")

Not effective in real life: THe Zimmerman Telegram

It is effective in the game though. I saw that Germany was massing troops on my border. I bribed the Mongols to attack the Germans. The Mongols received the brunt of German's invasion and I remained at peace with Germany.

Depending on a Civ like Carthage or Songhai, this:

Originally quoted by Polybius
A lesson of posterity in actual war it is better to have half the number of infantry, and the superiority in cavalry, than to engage your enemy with an equality of both.

Haven't tried it out yet, though.

Sun Tzu`s strategies work somewhat as well, especially now that G&K provides spies. However, it`s not indepth enough as spies are too limiting.

However, I always think Sun Tzu when an enemy leader comes and is suddenly all nice wanting peace cos it reminds me of Sun tzu`s words, `If the enemy comes with compliments in his words, he is looking for peace`.

Not a strategy per se, but I do think Von Moltke's observation is borne out in nearly every game: (translated) "No plan of operations extends with certainty beyond the first encounter with the enemy's main strength" (often paraphrased as, "no plan survives first contact with the enemy"). In Civ, you can't afford to fall in love with your initial plan, or your revised plan, or the plan after that....

Top Bottom