Your first BNW win?

The A.K.T

Warlord
My first was as the Zulu. Conquered Maya with Impi(they are really cool). And lived off a strong economy. Picked Autocracy cause i thought most of them would. That was not the case. Most of them picked order. And becouse of that it dragged out and i won by 2012. Gonna say im loving the expansion. Keeping me intertained (allmost) all the way through.

How was your first win?

First win as assyria, basically I managed to get out ahead in science and I set up a superior economy and had a pick 'em: science or diplo victory.

but of my 3 full games played, I've lost twice. Both times losing to science victory. One time I lost track and was completely surprised. The second time it was against a near runaway Catherine who apparently is impenetrable. I marched 30+ on her. Took a city, then she immediately nuked the city I took to dead, mopped up my remaining forces, and left me stunned to lose the game in quiet.

Couldn't believe the ai would do that.

Zulu diplomatic triumph.

Moroccan diplomatic victory. Used money from trade routes to control congress and punish run away Carthage.

First win was Shoshone the America DLC Map, spawned around New York and by turn 150 took out Venice, this game me a total of 4 cities. I was going for cultural but it was my first game so I missed a few key wonders. I ended up with my strong economy winning a diplomatic victory. I had no chance to out tourism Pedro of Brazil, who was strangely in Brazil lol. I had already out cultured the Zulu, Morocco and Indonesia.

I won a cultural victory in 1994 as Morocco (Prince). It started complicated, with Portugal stealing a good city position, low production and almost having a city razed to the ground by the Spanish.

In the Medieval Era, with the help of Rome, we managed to defeat Spain. Later, I took Lisbon so I could have a good city in the coast. Then, there was peace. There were conflicts in the second continent (and Egypt lost its capital and later disappeared), and China had its own continent (a rather small one).

And yes, I was playing Standard Continents. It seems I rolled a map with three continents and no islands... :rolleyes:

I tried to convince my friends to go with Freedom (since I wasn't thinking of conquest at the late game), but they went Order. Looks like all the happiness penalties weren't enough to form a revolution (I even put Freedom as the world ideology! But then it was cancelled).

Everyone (including me) did bad in science. By 1994, me and other two civs were still at Atomic, while everybody else was in Modern.

Science victory as Indonesia.

It wasn't easy, I tried to play culturally yet Gandhi stole all the cultural wonders from me and had a huge lead. I tried switching to diplomatic, but Ramkhamhaeng had patronage and had taken over half of the city-states under his control.

Luckily Gandhi and Rammy had different ideologies (freedom vs autocracy) and both very strong cultures, so I sided with Gandhi by switching with freedom and slowly teched towards my spaceship. I'm pretty sure Gandhi would have won the game if it wasn't from Rammy having an almost equal culture to him.

Really solidified that culture victories are very much dependent on the other civs, if someone else is going cultural you are going to have a hard time.

Dark Horse diplo victory as Catherine.

Got off to a decent start, only to watch Portugal blob dangerously on the opposite side of the pangaea. Didn't have the infrastructure to stop her with an army and she snatched up a few city states early enough to be made Host.

I got the last laugh though, as my second-place position (thanks to a few city states I'd won over) let me push for all the world projects and then immediately gobble them up with my insane production capacity for maximum rewards, ballooning my happiness and culture, which let me snag a bunch of extra policies including the entire patronage tree

Despite never winning a host vote, in the second vote of the UN I had so much production and gold pumping out that I was able to easily secure the votes of the remaining city states and sweep the world congress

Moroccan diplomatic victory. Used money from trade routes to control congress and punish run away Carthage.
>Runaway
>Carthage
things really have changed in BNW

Shoshone--cultural victory, but it could almost as easily have been diplomatic. Shoshone early game advantages are awesome.

My first win was a diplomatic victory with Venice.
It was quite simple, actually.
By the end of the game I had upwards of 100,000 gold stockpiled.
I was the only one out of 8 civs to choose the freedom ideology, but I was still able to use my advantage as quintessential host of the world congress and my complete city-state monopoly to make freedom the world ideology. Essentially, every single one of the original 16 city-states was either bought by a merchant of Venice, captured by an AI and then liberated by me, or was my ally. I bought 3 AI's votes for around 20,000 gold each, and after that the world leader proposal was a cinch. I almost feel disgusted with myself because of how ridiculous Venice's double trade routes can be...almost.

Poland Can into Space! (steam achievement)

Venice took the city states around me. When Alex killed Venice, I made use of the chaos to take those CS. Had a relatively easy game after that (King).

Science as Russia, small, King, shuffle (I think it ended up being Small Continents). It didn't go very well in the start (got NC only at T140ish, was waaaay behind in tech until Oxford). Darius was the runaway by a reasonable margin and was building wonderafter wonder, nobody really liked Elizabeth. Both Washington and Ahmad were DoW her left and right, until Washington decided to conquer Milan (allied to England). Then he decided to wipe out England. Then, since Ahmad had denounced him as a warmonger, he decided to wipe out Morocco as well. I was REALLY afraid he was going to DoW me, but Darius went after him first. That gave me time to wrap my spaceship victory up.

On the same game, Pocatello backstabbed me and went after one of my cities by sea. And if he wasn't severely out-teched, he would've conquered it - 5-6 Privateers, plus land ranged support, but 1 Destroyer and 1 Sub destroyed his navy in a couple turns.

Let's see if i can manage Emperor now =)

Shoshone--cultural victory, but it could almost as easily have been diplomatic. Shoshone early game advantages are awesome.

Have to agree

Pocatello can be really dominant. I usually grab an early tech (because hey free tech) and some gold (to buy another pathfinder - their production cost is higher than a scout's, but I don't think their gold or faith costs are) from the first couple goody huts.

If you're quick to explore and lucky in finding huts, you can get a huge bonus from that, plus their UA is great. And their Pathfinders are as strong as a Warrior, meaning there's really not much reason to build warriors - just direct a couple Pathfinders towards advanced weapons and enjoy gatling gun scouts.

The Shoshone have some real explosive potential.

Assyrian domination, but it was 2 levels downgraded from my usual G&K diificulty level.

Science victory as Assyria on Emperor. Had a bit of a rough start with an expansion-happy Siam and China (Siam also stole Desert Folklore from me) since I was still getting used to the new mechanics. Once I got Petra and some of those sapper towers online, it was gameover for my continent. Despite China's Great Wall (and the stupid AI that refused to attack my UU), I rolled through China, Siam, and the Shoshone.

Halfway through taking the Shoshone capital the rest of the world (Austria, Indonesia, Denmark, and Venice) DOWs me and sends some fleets to attack my capital. Venice shook things up a bit by eating up my CSes, but otherwise the tech lead from tech stealing made it easy to fend them all off.

I have to admit the Assyria UU is just amazing. And the UA allows you to focus a little harder on army in the early game without having to worry about falling behind in tech.

Venice. Huge map, epic speed. Tried all game to get cultural victory, but got diplo victory accidently a couple of turns before.

In the end, i was pumping out over 3000 tourism, and over 3000 culture (won world games & international fair at same time). Still couldnt win cultural victory.

Hi there, first time poster but have lurked a while in the G&K threads :) Just finished my first BNW game playing Morocco on King, standard earth size and time. Got a diplomatic victory on turn 451 with 29 delegates making myself World Leader. Just missed it by one vote the first time 20 turns before that and was panicking on 2nd attempt until I realized I got one extra delegate from previous attempt at world leader.

My first two attempts on BNW didn't go too well since I didn't take any time to read up on any hints or pointers. I tried Poland first for the cultural victory but was overwhelmed by barbarians and -4 gpt because I was clueless on caravans. I also had 3 great artists just sitting around unable to use because I didn't know how to make slots for them lol. Anyway once I read up on how to actually play BNW I decided to try as Morocco tempted by +3 gold/+1 culture for each trade route and the Kasbah sounded really cool.

I went for a Legendary Start so that all civilizations are on even footing with good resources for their starting spot. My starting city Marrakech was in India on the ocean. My humble beginnings http://imgur.com/zcRCaRD I settled there and went straight for AH for caravans then mining, pottery and calendar to get at those luxes. A unit ran smack into a city state just to the NW and as I explored one to the SE and NE of me so getting caravans was key to getting off to a good start with positive gpt and enough units to beat back the barbarians. I was at two cities for a long time and for many turns everything was very peaceful and slow paced. I had no real plan in mind except to focus on culture. By 100AD I had my 3rd city and +14 gpt. My 3rd city Fes was in a perfect spot with desert and hills and very easy to defend against northern invaders(which came later courtesy of Boudicca). I made sure to build many Kasbahs and got for Petra when I got the chance. At this point my religion was Eastern Orthodox with Sacred Path, Initiation Rites and Pagodas.

Suleiman to my north would soon be captured by Boudicca. By 680 AD I was making +44 gpt with a 5 man army. By 920 AD it was +58 gpt. Things were a bit on the boring side until Boudicca changed the outcome of my passive nature and turned me into a juggernaut of an army from there till the end :) I forget exactly since I don't have saved games for every year but around 1100 AD she turned on me sensing my weak army but not knowing I had 2500 gold saved up so I popped some units quickly and was easily able to defend Fes with the narrow passages and Kasbahs. After defending I went on the offensive and after a long battle took Instanbul from her around 1580AD See http://imgur.com/eqCwKwY

From here I headed west and focused on military all the way until I took Boudicca's capitol Edinburgh around 1880AD. I strung 3 Golden Ages in a row with Great Artists and was raking in some serious money at this point.

http://imgur.com/RCkdPVe

I then met up with Darious in western Europe who I learned was going to secretly attack me so I decided to just keep the war machine rolling. After I took all of Europe I headed into Africa where my ally CS Ur and eventually Ife helped me out quite a bit taking out more of Darius's cities :) I got a bit tired of the war games and eventually negotiated for a few of his cities which I razed. From there I started to realize how lucky I was that 14 of 16 city states were all within my area from Europe, Africa and Asia. That's when I started to focus on keeping allied with all those city states with spies and quests. I missed the first World Leader by one vote in 2008!! Argh but I got one extra out of it so I had to do was hang on to the ally CS I had and pickup one more which proved to be mighty expensive because I lost track of two of them and didn't realize they had been just friends for a while. At the very last turn I had to spend 4k gold to get them to be my allies lol.

Victory on turn 451
http://imgur.com/dRgHolF

And finally my humble starting city Marrekech looks like this at the end. I had to turn off some of the ocean tiles near the end to stop from growing so much.

http://imgur.com/KNfeDRQ

Whew ok now I'm exhaused. Next game will be emporer or higher and no legendary start. Should be interesting. I'll probably try Poland or Brazil this time and go for a more focused cultural victory. Those wars really drag out the turns and gets tiring after a while.

Moderator Action: similar threads merged

:thumbsup:
I still haven't finished a BNW game... everything is too shiny & I keep getting distracted & restarting.

Top Bottom