Best way to get the "Losing My Marbles" achievement?

JSMCAG

King
So I am playing my first game (Prince difficulty), and I want to see if I can shoot for the "Losing My Marbles" achievement.
Looking at my map, I can see three different ways of doing it:
  1. Stealing 5 artifacts from the Inca, making them super angry at me;
  2. Steal two artifacts from The Inca, two from Venice and one from Spain - making them angry at me, but they are all on another continent, and I have a strong navy;
  3. Steal one artifact from each civilization, making all of them slightly annoyed at me.
Also, I am alone on an island, with only one city bordering America. I am planning on winning Diplomatic (so I want to play nice with civilizations), but I have Cultural and Scientific Victories as my plans B and C.

From those who already have some experience with the game, how should I go through this? How harsh is the penalty for stealing artifacts?
I am aware that, if I promise them to not steal from their cultural heritage, I cannot break that promise without severe repercussions...

Stealing once and promising not to do it again is a pretty minor hit

Being unrepetant or stealing a bunch of times will piss them off quite a bit, though if you're aching for a tumble anyway, might as well yank some of their goodies.

Stealing once and promising not to do it again is a pretty minor hit

Being unrepetant or stealing a bunch of times will piss them off quite a bit, though if you're aching for a tumble anyway, might as well yank some of their goodies.

Looking back at my game, maybe pissing off Pachacuti isn't the best idea - he's my best trade partner (Trade Routes with him are delisciously profitable).
Though I was thinking of digging them up all at the same time to diminish his reaction (I suspect doing them all in the same turn I can then promise not to do it again and everything's fine).

If I can steal once with minor hits, then I might just go for all of them. My museums will be rich indeed! :D

Looking back at my game, maybe pissing off Pachacuti isn't the best idea - he's my best trade partner (Trade Routes with him are delisciously profitable).
Though I was thinking of digging them up all at the same time to diminish his reaction (I suspect doing them all in the same turn I can then promise not to do it again and everything's fine).

If I can steal once with minor hits, then I might just go for all of them. My museums will be rich indeed! :D

As far as I'm aware, taking one artifact and never doing it again doesn't carry any diplomatic penalty, in my experience, though to be fair, I was stealing from my friends.

Yeah I was thinking of ways to get this achievement as well. It is probably one of the easier "tricky" ones to get though doing something like you said.

Though I am not quite sure on the reading. From the achievement wording, it seems like all 5 artifacts need to be from the same civ.

"It Belongs in a Museum" sounds like a pain in the ass though. Its hard enough to find any CS artifacts, but 10 of them? I'm thinking maybe a huge map is the best way for that, with A LOT of CS in the game.

Though I am not quite sure on the reading. From the achievement wording, it seems like all 5 artifacts need to be from the same civ.

Well, that would be a hurdle... :sad: Everyone just denounced The Inca (most probably because they proposed their religion for World Religion), so maybe pissing them off isn't that bad... Still, getting 5 artifacts from the same civilization makes for a hard achievement! :eek:
Well, I guess I will find out... No harm done if I don't get it - I still plan a Culture game as Brazil, and late game aggression is not that bad for them! ;)

EDIT: It appears to be the case, unfortunately... :sad:
By now I already promised Pachacuti I would not steal anymore artifacts... Is this like the "I will not settle near you" promise? I mean, does it eventually run out and I may safely break it again?
If so, I might just wait and see if I can lay my hands... Oh wait... I have no more slots to place Artifacts... :sad: Well, I'll try it again on my Brazil game! :D

Top Bottom