How to expand my border?

Colossian

Prince
I've an experience. It was terrible.
I founded a new city.
I built many cultural buildings to expand my border but a big city were growing up faster than I had
Finally, "My city was swallowed up in the border of enemy city."
So I lost one of my new and small city.
How come? What do I have to do for this ? :confused:

Colossian said:
I've an experience. It was terrible.
I built many cultural buildings to expand my border but they were growing up faster than me.
Finally, "My city was swallowed up in the border of enemy city."
So I lost one of my city.
How come? What do I have to do for this ? :confused:

Yep, Culture is definately the key, if you want it to keep growing en masse, simply build every + cultural building you've teched to.

Have a great artist create a great work in that kind of situation. Works wonders.

I find this sort of issue to be vastly different from Civ III. In Civ III I would often plant some small cities near the borders of a rival civ to claim some small open pieces of land before their culture claimed it. It set me up with an extra city, extra income, and extra land.

In Civ IV, you sort of take your chances with that. If you put a new city near a nearby established city of a rival culture you stand a chance of losing it if you can't build up the culture fast enough. If you are going to plant a new city make sure you have built up a fair amount of culture to start, and then plant it a bit inside your own borders. That should slow down or eliminate the likelyhood of it being swallowed up.
Then there are city costs to consider, as well as relations.

I have to say these are some of the complexities I have really enjoyed with this game. You can't take anything for granted. Everything must be considered.

Top Bottom