Internal trade route questions

jessie23

Chieftain
What determines how many food and/or hammers internal trade routes are worth? I find that it seems to vary throughout the game and from city to city, but I don't know what the determining factor is.

I've also found that sometimes my capital can establish an internal trade route with one of my cities, but that city cannot establish a trade route with the capital. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know why this is?

I don't believe I had a caravansary in the capital when this happened. It was very early game, as I was building a caravan to food boost my capital, but then was unable to do it. Trading with a CS was my only choice.

The starting city needs a granary to do food caravans (and a workshop to do hammer caravans).

That would explain why I couldn't establish the route.

What determines how many food / hammers the route is worth?

land: 6.
sea: 10.
(not sure if game speed modifies this, probably not)
science: 0.5 per tech unknown to the other party
gold: complex stuff, mainly about gold output of the cities involved (and their buildings)
religious pressure: same pressure as a single city exerts. Only applies if the involved cities do not exert pressure via their natural religion spreading range (10 tiles or 13 tiles if you took "presomething teachers" enhancer belief).

This is definitely not true. I do play on epic, but at the start of my game my land routes were around 5, and at the end of the game sea routes are around 14. At the start they were higher than land, but still single digits.

(I don't really understand why you would ever use land routes).

It goes up throughout the game in a fashion I don't entirely understand. Based on my general impression of the numbers, it might be some base + the number of trade routes you're allowed to have by tech. But I'm not sure.

science: 0.5 per tech unknown to the other party

Something modifies it, because for me the values are different

I think:
land: 4.5
sea: 9

(Large, epic)

I have not seen any change in these numbers over the course of a game.

These numbers definitely change over the course of the game. in the beginning my land trade routes are usually worth 3 or 4 food, while later they become 6 or 7 food. Sea trade routes also increase accordingly. Usually increases like this are due to changes in era, but I have no idea if that's actually the case with this.

I believe the increases are a result of changes in era, but I'm sure someone else can confirm this for us.

I haven't done extensive research, but from what I recall,

On normal speed:

Ancient era: 4(land, 8(sea)
Each era gives you a .5 increase on land (which is a 1 increase for sea trade routes).

So around 8(land) & 16(sea) is what you get when you're in the future era.

Land vs Sea also depends on your map and settings. Raging barbs can pillage a sea route left unguarded for only a couple of turns even later in the game, and clone their caravel to continue the problems. Early on a sea route can get clobbered very easily by one stray barb.

IOW the double value of sea routes is countered by the cost of units to patrol them, to varying extents based on map, settings, and era.

I'm not sure of this, but sea trade routes seem to be at around 8/9 food in the classical era, and I've seen them get as high as 12

I'm not sure of this, but sea trade routes seem to be at around 8/9 food in the classical era, and I've seen them get as high as 12

I thought the food was calculated as a percentage of the food from the origin city.

And it goes up because you work more and better tiles as you grow, get civil service, etc.

Never proved that but always assumed it.

I haven't done extensive research, but from what I recall,

On normal speed:

Ancient era: 4(land, 8(sea)
Each era gives you a .5 increase on land (which is a 1 increase for sea trade routes).

So around 8(land) & 16(sea) is what you get when you're in the future era.

This is correct.

Top Bottom