Path to a diplomatic vicotry

eben

Chieftain
I just won a diplo victory on Emperor, as Venice, but it left me a bit cold. It's easy with them, since their cash means you can ally up with every city state and pretty much win in congress automatically when you hit the atomic era. But I get the impression it's almost impossible to get any other civ to vote for you as world leader.

I've seen there is at least one mod out there that tweaks diplomacy to make it a bit more workable, but I was wondering: has anyone else managed to get another civ to vote them in on Emperor or harder?

DV is stupid and will hopefully be fixed in the up coming patch.

I never even tried to get the AI to vote for me, was there an option in the trade window with civs that you had a spy schmoozing in? I would think you should be able to buy the vote if you had a DoF or possibly cultural influential with.

BTW, the vote starts when a civ enters the info era, not the atomic.

BTW, the vote starts when a civ enters the info era, not the atomic.

ah, right.
I didn't even bother trying to get votes from other civs, since they were all "guarded" by the time I got close to winning. they seem to be a bit quick on the "warmonger" draw...

I'll never vote for any other civ as world leader, so I don't even want them to vote for me. Sadly, I think it is possible if they are really good friends with you.

The diplo VC still needs a reworking. I love the world congress, but the UN should be built somehow, either as a resolution or a wonder.

I'll never vote for any other civ as world leader, so I don't even want them to vote for me. Sadly, I think it is possible if they are really good friends with you.

I've seen that, if you revive a civ, they will vote for you as world leader. Happened in a game I played a while back where I liberated Darius. I've also heard that you can bribe a civ into voting for you as world leader but I haven't confirmed it myself.

They need to bring back the UN as a wonder built in the late Atomic Era and give the resolutions that give extra diplomats more weight. That should at least help fix diplo.

I'm giving Falcon AI's Diplomacy mod (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=502562) a go. It seems like it makes diplomacy a bit more workable, though I don't think it makes civs who like you any more likely to vote you in. Not sure why he elected to disable denouncing, though. he calls it "broken" but it seems to make sense to me...

I never even tried to get the AI to vote for me, was there an option in the trade window with civs that you had a spy schmoozing in? I would think you should be able to buy the vote if you had a DoF or possibly cultural influential with.

You can't buy that vote because the World Leader vote is always a special session, which isn't announced until the turn it's going to happen. And you can't trade on the turn that votes happen.

You can't buy that vote because the World Leader vote is always a special session, which isn't announced until the turn it's going to happen. And you can't trade on the turn that votes happen.

You CAN buy votes for world leader, but ai wont actually sell it(at least i wasn't able to pay off). And while i was at it, i tried to buy Sejong votes for himself - he actually asked for 1 luxury and some strategic resources to vote for himself!:lol:

The diplomatic victory is a means of rewarding those who conserve and generate lots of :c5gold:. I think it is just fine as it is. Although if people still think it's too easy, then increase the World Leader threshold requirement. I've had 3 games on emperor where I have come close to a diplomatic victory. With my recent game as the Mayans, I had to fight off Greece getting a diplomatic victory and they had autocracy. Greece managed to get as much as 550 influence on some city states.

Someone made a suggestion on another thread that you take the average of deluge tes and you can only vote for the people that are above the average amount of delagates

Playing as Venice and having the 'Treaty Organization' tenant of Freedom really help. You trade with City States, which gives you money. Your trade with them also gives you influence. So you get influence from actually trading with them, and then you can use the profits of that trade to buddy up other city states, or secure your current ones even more.

Also, I don't know about other methods, but if you bring another civilization back from the dead then they will vote for you for being the Congress Host and the World Leader.

You CAN buy votes for world leader, but ai wont actually sell it(at least i wasn't able to pay off). And while i was at it, i tried to buy Sejong votes for himself - he actually asked for 1 luxury and some strategic resources to vote for himself!:lol:
Weird, I thought the vote was announced too soon.

I do know people have posted screenshots of other civs voting for them (without being Recalled to Life), though no one seems to know what makes that happen.

My proposition in another thread for a better diplo victory would be one in which you advance by proposing and getting passed resolutions that a supermajority of other civs like. So you might have to make some sacrifices yourself, but you gain in diplomacy by proving that you have the world's best interests in mind.

Maybe with a good enough diplomacy rating, other civs will ask you to mediate disputes... end a war by finding a mutually-agreeable set of terms, or screw over the side whose support you can do without.

That would be interesting. They should have it that you cant any use city-state delegates for world leadership, and you earn your votes based off previous resolutions passed or supported. Probably, a rank system in which diplomatic support tips you one way or another. Reaching a threshold earns 1 delegate from that civ. Something along the lines of:

Rank Points, you keep these points as long as they are in effect:
Open Borders +1
Trade Luxury +1
Trade Route +1
Fulfilled Request +1
Defensive Pact +2
Declaration of Friendship +2
Warred together +2

Bonus Rank Points, these are added to your pool:
Aid passing resolution +1
Propose favorable resolution +2
Liberate City +1 (Only applies to city once)
Recall to Life +50

Special points:
At war -5 (negative points only when at war)
Destroyed civ -50 (only if civ is recalled to life)
Captured a city -1 (Only applies once per city)
Use nuke -10 (to all civilizations)
Sabotage a resolution -1 (to that civ)
Differing Ideology -5 (until ideology changes)

Earning one delegate from a civ, requires a rank 10.
Earning a second delegate from a civ requires rank 20.
Earning a third delegate from a civ requires a rank 35.
Diplomats can negotiate 2 delegates from a civ.
First to research Globalization gains a permanent +5 rank to all civs.

At least this way, it relegates city-states to helping win your goal by becoming host or supporting other resolutions, but still focuses on your relationship with civs over the game. This also makes ideology important, but not always necessary.

Paying off people to vote you in is too realistic. :D

Actually, you will know what turn the special session is coming up. The numbers on the turn timer will be green.
I learned this the other day when I wasted my time trying to get a DV as Poland. I didn't know I needed 32 votes to win, I thought I just needed a majority. I gave up and went for an SV instead.

Paying off people to vote you in is too realistic. :D
Paying people off might be realistic, but if it were a little more realistic, it would be more interesting, since most of the time nations "buy influence" on the world stage it isn't a lump sum of money being handed back and forth. It's loaned out at some specified rate, and forgiving the debt is what really gains you influence. You could calculate a going rate to loan gold to city-states based on how much is available out there, and then let a civ gain influence by loaning below that rate or forgiving it past a certain point.

Paying people off might be realistic, but if it were a little more realistic, it would be more interesting, since most of the time nations "buy influence" on the world stage it isn't a lump sum of money being handed back and forth. It's loaned out at some specified rate, and forgiving the debt is what really gains you influence. You could calculate a going rate to loan gold to city-states based on how much is available out there, and then let a civ gain influence by loaning below that rate or forgiving it past a certain point.

Seriously! I didn't care before, but I do think that you should loan out the money and get the influence based off of that.

Either change how city-state delegates work with Vote World Leader or make influence through a loan system so you'll have to plan more.

Top Bottom