Wise King Solomon & corporal punishment.

Mojotronica

Expect Irony.
Someone once pointed out to me that Solomon, who said the widely quoted "spare the rod and spoil the child," was actually kind of a crappy Dad. His kids ran amuck and eventually ruined the kingdom.

The quote is almost always used to lend Biblical credibility to the practice of disciplinary spanking -- but was it meant ironically? In other words, was Solomon's advocacy of corporal punishment actually intended to be a CAUTIONARY tale?

I do not think a 2000 year old fairy tale is the best guide to educate children. Especially when it can be explained in a zillion ways.

Originally posted by Stapel
I do not think a 2000 year old fairy tale is the best guide to educate children. Especially when it can be explained in a zillion ways.
:goodjob: Couldn't have put it better myself!

Originally posted by Stapel
It's not the ONLY guide, and it shouldn't be taken literally, but the ideas are still valid. "Kids need discipline" is all Solomon is saying. And he did know a few things about being a parent, as the story of the 2 women who each claimed ownership of the same baby shows.

napoleon,

You inspired an interesting, completely tangential yet semi-related thought.

I read that the Judgment of King Solomon w/ regards to the baby is also meant as a parable for the destiny of Israel... His decision essentially was to split his nation into two, rather than relinquish power over it. The result: Judah split off f/ Israel, and the two nations were too weak to (centuries later) avoid being destroyed by the Assyrians and Babylonians...

If you read the book of Kings you'll see Judea and Samaria were wiped out off of the face of the planet because of the religious sins of their respectives kings, this because the author of the book of Kings has what is known as a "collective redemption" system so to speak, in which the acts of one man, regardless of how good or evil, count not for him but for the greater group, being the kingdom. When the king sins and brings the kingdom to its sinful state, like Ahab did or like Mesahe did, the sins of the kingdom are tallied as a whole, whereas when you read the same tales from a different old testament source (the name of which I have no clue how to write in English) you'll find out the sins of the man come back to hunt down THAT man, not the group in which he lives.

Piling up the bible as a cohesive unit disregarding the fact there are centuries between Genesis and the last book on the old testament, let alone the new one, is showing complete and utter ignorace as to the meaning and significane of the bible as a book. It is not a holy book which is meant to be taken literally, because I sincerely hope no one takes the whole "brimstone and fire" destruction of Soddom and Gamorra as a cautionary tale for what happens to sinners and decides to apply it himself, but at the same time I believe you have to be a fool to dismiss the book because such morons as the one depicted above exist.
The bible is a fine example of the evolution of human philosophy from "wipe out all your enemies" found in the earlier books (when Saul is commanded to attack, the description of how Israel was retaken by the returning jews) to more humane ways to make wars and more advanced ways of thinking such as what can be found in the later books (Deuteronomy is one of the books prior to the division of Israel into Samaria and Judea, which is why it is mentioned not specifically by name but by context in Kings, but it was apparently written AFTER Israel was given to the 12 tribes of Israel as a reported quote of a speech delivered by Moses). Also, remember that the fact one book came before another in the bible doesn't mean the books are in the same chronological order - some books are contemporary, some books are earlier and some books are later than others. In Deuteronomy you can find the "latest" version of many the laws you'll find in Numbers and Leviticus, while in books outside of the first 5 you'll find references to other historical events.

Deuteronomist! Preparing for bagrut :D

Top Bottom