Newbie Military Help

Hammers invested in a unit don't last forever. If you put, say, 20 hammers into a warrior on turns 5-10, switch to building something else on turn 11 and then don't return to build the warrior until turn 40, those 20 hammers will have decayed to approximately 10 hammers at that point.

Lately I've been using Raging Barbarians, with a side of 'Unlimited BARB. EXP.', and 'Increased Barb. Spawn' mods to keep AI's busy; while I fight my way to settling 2nd, 3rd, 4th+ cities on large maps. Fills up the SPolicy's, fast .

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the use of trade caravans to delay aggression from your neighbors. While it may not make you immune to being DoW'd, getting a trade route up early with an aggressive neighbor can mean all the difference as they are less likely to attack you first (provided they have other targets, of course). Trade caravans are always useful if you're forward settling (unless you're intentionally trying to provoke war).

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the use of trade caravans to delay aggression from your neighbors. While it may not make you immune to being DoW'd, getting a trade route up early with an aggressive neighbor can mean all the difference as they are less likely to attack you first (provided they have other targets, of course). Trade caravans are always useful if you're forward settling (unless you're intentionally trying to provoke war).

Because it doesn't really work. Connections get auto pillaged in event of war so he would instantly gain the pillage value in gold + require you to spend hammers or gold to replace it.
In many cases (not many turns left anyway), he'll gain more gold by DOWing than waiting for it to expire.

It's really trade routes that he established that he refrains from DOWing you until they expire, but at the first oppertunity he'll reroute them away from you when he doesn't like you.

Because it doesn't really work. Connections get auto pillaged in event of war so he would instantly gain the pillage value in gold + require you to spend hammers or gold to replace it.
In many cases (not many turns left anyway), he'll gain more gold by DOWing than waiting for it to expire.

It's really trade routes that he established that he refrains from DOWing you until they expire, but at the first oppertunity he'll reroute them away from you when he doesn't like you.

That's weird--cuz I flip early "covet" and "im gonna kill you cuz I can" hate all the time by using trade routes. It really does depend on the aggressor's position relative to other potential targets, however. In fact, I forward build much more now than I used to in G&K cuz I can often delay immediate aggression. I've even seen all "red" hate go green after I establish trade (not the other way around). Ive even seen sudden DoF offers, too, from a previous red status.

Top Bottom