Empire: Total War Demo

salty mud

Deity
I made this thread to discuss the imminent release of the demo version of Empire: Total War. We've been promised the demo is coming "very soon" for some weeks, so it can't be long to wait. Does anyone know what is included with the demo?

Discuss what you think of the game, first impressions, what you do/don't like etc.

It's likely to include one land battle, one naval battle, and that's it.

In which case, I'd like to test out various advances on artillery to see what's effective and what isn't. And I'd also like to see how the AI reacts to various strategies.

That's the beta, not the demo. They're different. The beta is the whole game but it's buggy and unpolished, whereas the demo should be a sampling of the final product.

My comp won't be able to handle it!:badcomp:

Demo now available for download off Steam! I will report back with my findings and discuss the features, if I can break myself away from it! :D

Ugh. I've been waiting for this game for like five months, and what do I get for it? Terrible load times and horrible controls.

Ugh. I've been waiting for this game for like five months, and what do I get for it? Terrible load times and horrible controls.

I'm not the only one then... I waited at least 5 minutes just for the game to get off the splash screen at the start. Controls are horrible, and the game lags badly too, but that might just be my laptop.

:lol: HAH HAH HAH HAH! Oh man this is getting too funny, watching all these people on TWC freak out xD

Although thankfully for humanity most of them are not moaning much yet. Except about downlaod speeds (but you have thousands of people downloading it at once, what do you expect?)

:lol: HAH HAH HAH HAH! Oh man this is getting too funny, watching all these people on TWC freak out xD

Although thankfully for humanity most of them are not moaning much yet. Except about downlaod speeds (but you have thousands of people downloading it at once, what do you expect?)

What, you mean the:

guys ! really ! I need to know how to choose server!

plz help?

This is ******ed. I'm getting a maximum of 30 kb/s when my line speed is 2 mb/s....stupid steam.

I dont get it, I started when it was released, but now it says "updating" WTF?

and...

I don't care how good you guys thought the demo was, but I have been downloading since it was released at 17 o' clock and it has just restarted by itself over and over! Bad decision by CA for making this demo Steam exclusive

:rotfl:

Yep, although I lost interest after the first two pages.

STEAM's downloading/updating is not perfect, but I suspect most of the problems are people's internet connectinos and the servers the content is hosted on.

I'll see how the download rates for the demo are on Sunday.

Sadly it appears some problems from previous games still havn't been fixed, there are numerous screenshots of drummers and officers advancing and walking away from the unit while the regulars keep shooting.

I tried it and I like it! Definitely looks a lot crisper to me. The UI is cleaner and more efficient, the units look cleaner and crisper.

The tutorial land battle works for me but I crash to desktop when starting a non-tutorial land battle. I like the sea battle though!

I've completed both battles in the demo, and I enjoyed it. My first attempt at the sea battle was an embarrasing faliure. Using my limited knowledge of historical haval tactics, I decided to try the classic splitting of their line. The first ship went through beautifully, guns blazing on both sides, raking the enemy ships with fire. The second one though, went straight into the side of an enemy ship and stopped. My third ship then wnet into the back of the second and so on, until the pride of the British navy was a 5 ship pileup :p

I tried again, and won reasonably easily. The land battle was also pretty simple - outflank them with everything, and, apart from artillery, don't bother shooting, just CHARGE!!!!!! The AI didn't seem that good on the land battle, lots of standing around while I first repositioned my troops, then shot at them with cannons from outside their range.

One big problem: the loading times, both of the game itself, and the battles are atrociously long.

Still, I'm definately not cancelling my pre-order :)

The sea battles are excellent. I wasn't looking forward to them but I love them.

Conversely, I was excited about land battles, but my computer is so slow that the delay between the orders and my troops' movement makes me pull my hair out.

Top Bottom