DH02: Dark Empire II-The Empire Strike Back!

DeceasedHorse

Prince
Dark Empire II: The Empire Strikes Back

Minas Morgul, Evil America:
Russian catapults let loose with another barrage of projectiles, smashing hard into the massive curtain wall of the besieged American capital. Behind the crumbling fortress, the last defenders of Evil America waited in silence, the only sound the occasional cough or sneeze brought on by the clouds of dust raining down from the faltering battlements. With the fall of the great navel base at mother-in-lawsville, and the defeat of General Custard’s field army, the capital was open to attack by the slavering Russian hordes. Another salvo of rocks was launched from the Russian positions, the commie artillery unopposed due to the destruction of Colonel Hooker’s artillery brigade in the retreat from the fortress of Fangorn. A massive stone projectile slammed into the towering Mausoleum of Reagan, smashing down mighty granite pillars and shaking the structure to its foundation. It would not be long now. Soon the Reds would come for the Evil Americans, and they wouldn’t stop until they had razed everything, even the Grey House, home of God-Emperor Abraham Lincoln to the ground.

Brigadier General Benedict Arnold brushed his way past the Praetorian guardsmen manning the gates of the Grey House without so much as a word. In the glory days of the American Empire, such an action would have been an unthinkable act of defiance, even for the supreme commander of the American military. Even Arnold would have been required to fall to his knees and pay homage to the mighty Lincoln. Now, the guard simply did not care. The merciless killers that once filled its ranks were gone, drafted into the final defense of the walls. The men behind the iron mask of the Guard were little more than boys now. Arnold finally glanced back when the ground began to rumble and shake. Turning his head, he spotted the teetering Mausoleum of Reagan, smashed almost beyond recognition by Russian artillery, finally collapse to the ground with a terrifying crash. The mummified corpse of Reagan went sailing through the air, landing near the Russian positions. Arnold pulled out a small telescope and looked on as the mummy rose from the ground and began to rip through the Russian lines, killing a dozen men with each stroke. Even as Arnold’s (black) heart filled with hope, Lenin’s mummified corpse teleported into the battle, driving back the American President.

Even the unholy magicks of Ronald Reagan could not save them now, Arnold realized.

The portly general flung open the doors, ignoring the scurrying servants looting the rich halls of the Grey House as he marched straight towards the Un-Oval Office, the lair of the God-Emperor. Bursting into the President’s lair (yes I know that I keep changing his title. I also had Ronald Reagan’s reanimated corpse fight Lenin’s mummy; continuity errors are the least of the plot holes in my little prelude :crazyeye: ) Arnold beheld the pathetic sight of the God-Emperor, or at least what was left of him. Unable to formulate his disgust with words of his own, Arnold fell back on popular slang. Yes, Lincoln looked ‘wasted out of his fricking mind’, that was it. “Sir!” called out the General. “Sir?”

“Wha-What do you want, you traitorous bastard?” slurred Lincoln.

“Sir, I’ve just come from the Great Library. Doctor Kavorkian says that he may have a way out of this!”

Lincoln laughed like a madman, “Out? OUT? MUWHAHAHA! Why would we want to escape when we are on the verge of total victory?” The drunken president stood up and strode over to a strategic map of the known world, somehow managing to stay upright. Arnold noticed that the President was not wearing any pants, and his trademark hat lay crumpled on the floor. Lincoln pointed at the map; Arnold finally deigned to examine it closely, and that was when he realized the depth of Lincoln’s madness. American
‘Armies’ were marked on the map besieging the capital of every nation of the known world, while cities long since lost were shown as still being under American control. Waving lazily at the map, Lincoln shouted “See? I told you we were winning. Won’t you <hic> have a drink wif me?”

“Uh, no sir. We need to evacuate immediat...”

Suddenly speaking with a British accent, Lincoln interrupted: “Evacuated? At our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances!”

“Err, right sir, please come with me! We have to go!”

Lincoln belched and then fell back into his chair. “Nah, I’m gonna stay here, keep up the good fight <hic>. Go on ahead, I don’t think I deserve another chance…”

Unnerved by Lincoln’s sudden lucidity, Arnold turned and fled from the Un-Oval office.

The Great Library of Minas Morgul:
Arnold pushed his way past the column of laborers and other citizens selected for the mission. Spotting Kavorkian up ahead, he broke into a shuffling trot.

“Kavorkian! Lincoln won’t evacuate. <Gasp> Says we should <gasp> go on ahead!”

The crazed scientist nodded, and turned back to the small circle built into the walls of the Library. His calculations complete, the doctor hit the last button. With a deafening <swoosh> a shimmering blue portal popped into existence. “Hurry, General. The Quantum Gate will not remain open for long. Arnold nodded, and gave the order. The column of men and women began shuffling into the portal, disappearing into the swirling vortex. Where they would arrive was anyone’s guess.

“I’m just thankful you somehow managed to invent a combination time machine/ teleportation device without electricity, modern science, or anything more advanced than a Roman aqueduct to work with, Doctor,” Arnold said. “Especially since you were a medical doctor, not a physicist.”

“Oh, it wasn’t that hard”, Kavorkian replied, then stepped into the portal, followed quickly by Arnold. The portal dissipated in flash of azure light, just as the first wave of Russian soldiers, lead by Lenin’s mummy, began the charge against the last bastion of the American Empire.

A different time, a different place:

“Wha-were are we?” stammered Arnold, looking out over the strange but somehow familiar landscape.

Kavorkian replied, “Time will tell, my good general, time will tell.”

Arnold frowned, “That’s not very helpful, you know.”

“Yes, but it sounds cool, doesn’t it?” replied the doctor.

==========================================================

After the defeat of the American Empire in DH01: Dark Empire, the survivors of Lincoln’s shattered hordes flee to a New World and, hopefully, new conquests.
God-Emperor Lincoln is lost, trapped somewhere on another world and in another time, leaving Brigadier General Benedict Arnold the defacto ruler of this new America.

VARIANT RULES:
DEFIANT (My Definition): We do not, under any circumstances, pay for a peace treaty. We are free to sign peace so long as the deal is straight up or if the enemy will pay even a single gold piece. We do not cave into demands, ever. We are allowed the options of making military alliances and signing ROP’s; however we may not pay for them.

EVIL EMPIRE: Representative governments are not permitted. While we may present the illusion of an elected ruler, this is just a propaganda tool. Slaves cannot be freed; I.E. disbanded, joined to a city, or sold back to their original owner. ‘Exploits’ that are not blatant programming holes are permitted. Game of the Month rules apply in this case, not Realms Beyond. That means that ship chaining is permitted. Furthermore, if it is to our benefit, we can break deals at any time. Just be sure to get the most mileage out of our reputation before breaking it.

MADE IN THE US of A: Captured artillery pieces are of an inferior quality, and should be sent to the nearest city and scrapped for raw materials as soon as possible. If a captured field gun fires defensively or something, that is acceptable as long as it was not an intentional move. All efforts must be made to scrap the inferior foreign products as soon as possible.

MANIFEST DESTINY: Diplomatic and Space-Race victories are disabled. We are not permitted to build transport ships (other than suicide galleys used solely to make contact) until the discovery of rocketry. We cannot send paratroopers, demand cities, or otherwise begin attacks on other continents until the F-15 is available. This is intended to force us to fight a modern war on a large scale without the ability to Spam bombers. Bonus points if we end up building Aegis Cruisers or Radar artillery.

What we learned from the last game:
-Don’t have your only decent city stuck on wonder production for most of the game when you are in what is effectively an AWE. Discuss with the team before beginning wonder construction in the early game.
-America sucks in AW. Oh well.
-Play more than 15 turns before finalizing the map choice; the start we ended up in the last game looked promising initially but turned out to be murderously bad, with our civ buried in a jungle hell that stifled growth and crippled our movement but still managed to offer no convenient choke-points for defense.

ROSTER:

All players from DH01 are of course welcome back and receive priority over new participants. I will generate the start this evening after I get back from work. Please post if you have any map preferences.

Checking in. I like the ideas. I suggest rolling a random start and taking it to the hilt. (I always love to try to fight out of whatever start I am given. This necessarily lowers my win percentage on emporer and above). I suggest a relatively wonderless build, but will have to see the game develop first.

Sorry about that; I lost my internet connection for much of last week.

Lacking any input with a save, I started a new game with randomized settings on a normal map, using the map seed 1234567 or something to that effect. Real original, eh?

4000: An excellent start location. Our settler stands next to a river, with a bonus grass tile and cow nearby. Settle on the spot, revealing not one but two wheat tiles to the north; only one will be inside the capital’s 21 but I think that will be good enough. Research set to Ceremonial Burial in ordeer to gurantee better techs from goodie huts. Start on a second scout.

3950: Pop a warrior from a hut.

3800: Get 25 g’s from a hut. Come on, where are all the settlers hiding out.

3150: Finish Ceremonial Burial; our start position is outstanding but this is somewhat countered by our pathetic lack of goody huts. Finally make contact with someone when one of our scouts finds the English down in the jungles. Get seven gold and Bronze Working for Masonry.

3050: Finally find another hut and get…25 gold. Argh.

2750: The capital is ready for full-scale settler production; one of our scouts has revealed that the English have Ivory…

We’ve got a four-turn settler factory; although we should probably mine another grass tile just to get everything absolutely perfect.

Romeo the Monk is up...PM's will be dispatched to our fellow imperialists now that I am online once more.

The Save is also cursed

I'll slam out 15 tomorrow after I finish trying to catch DH's team in SGOTM. We currently in a streak of luck with MGL's no one will believe, but they only have a few hundred points on us right now. (Spoiler Thread and Retreive page) Very hard to close that gap. But now we have to all just be friends.
I'll try to head to the Dyes, unless some one throws up a dotmap. My Dotmap skills are horrible.

Sorry, the 15 get delayed till MOnday. SGOTM took to much time. That and the missus.

IHT: Press spacebar

Turn 3: Find Germany, get WC and 5 gold for Masonry
Turn 5: Contact Iro Near our capitol (Straight right) Get Abet, The Wheel and 10 gold for Masonry
Turn 7 Found IRS. Let Barrow riot Sorry
Turn 9: Contact Babylon, get Mysticism and 40 gold for Abet
Turn 14: get IW and 25 gold for Abet from Germany.

I Pooched the settler factory, and I am really sorry about that. I am building a temple in BL, to help with playing with the lux slider, then we can spit out a worker or 2 and the factory will fire right back up. We have iron right near our capitol, the bad news is that nearly everyone does. The Iro have really high food, really low shields but have been spamming settlers our way. I am thinking IRS would be a nice military city but it needs a lot of work. There is a settler by game that should settle between the game and the sugar.
We should push forward as fast as possible, as we can really backfill nicely later.

Oh the luck wasn't necessarily good. But We didn't get a single MGL in the AA. The unbelievable part is the massive dry spell we were under. Over 60+ Elite combat wins.
Once again, sorry for the factory pooch, but we should recover even better, as we get a temple and 2 workers out of the deal.

I've been out of town at a client site this week. I'm home tonight, and will grab the save and go. Sorry for the delay, its caused me havoc with other SGs to. I'll post tonight

@DH
Hey. I'm looking through the thread, and I haven't seen the game version. Is it PTW or C3C? If it's PTW and room still to be filled, I would like to sign up (emperor level).

EDIT:
DH said:
one of our scouts has revealed that the English have Ivory…

Judging from the openendedness of this statement, you are loathing the SoZ and thus the game is C3C :( Oh well, back to lurker status.

I've got it. I will need to play on Tuesday so if Hooray is available tonight, let him go for it.

If I'd seen this earlier, I would have gladly taken it. However, it's getting late now, so I wouldn't play it until tomorrow anyway. You might as well keep it.

END TURN

2110BC-1 Found Abu Ghraib between game and sugar and start a warrior.

2070BC-2 Barrowlands temple->worker

2030BC-3 Barrowlands worker-->worker

1990BC-4

1950BC-5 Barrowlands worker-->settler

1910BC-6 Abu Ghraib warrior-->walls

1870BC-7

IBT Someone? starts the Pyramids.

1830BC-8

1790BC-9 Barrowlands settler-->settler

1750BC-10 Settler is heading to secure our iron. I have a worker working on the road. A warrior is following from B. becuase a barb showed up. I am building a road in the forest Barrowlands us using for the gold. Seven turns to Math at -3GPT/80%.

The next settler should go west to the river/coast/cow so it can take over the settler production. Our power ranking is starting to slip and we are weak against everyone. All new cities in the east will need to be devoted to military for a while. Getting The Barrwolands off of settlers will help.

The Game.

Top Bottom