Civilization 5 vs. Tic Tac Toe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afforess

The White Wizard
People have been making illusions to tic tac toe being at par with the level of strategy in Civilization. As a tic tac toe fan, I find this very offensive. So, I've come up with a coherent comparison of Tic Tac Toe and Civilization 5.

Steam: Tic Tac Toe does not require Steam. Plus 1 for Tic Tac Toe.

Streamlining & Organic Feel: Tic Tac Toe is extremely superior in this respect. Tic Tac Toe has exactly one rule: place an "X" or "O" in a square, in an attempt to create a line of 3 of them. Civilization 5 has many rules, 1UPT, Hexes, Global Happiness, all of which make the game increasingly complicated. Plus 1 for Tic Tac Toe.

Turn Times: Tic Tac Toe has nearly instant turn times, even near the end of the game. Civilization 5 has long turn times, even on duel maps. Plus 1 for Tic Tac Toe.

Moddability: Tic Tac Toe mods have been spawned into entirely new games, such as "Connect 4". All and any of the game rules can be altered. Civilization Modibility has been found lacking. It's modding tools are incomplete and buggy. Plus 1 for Tic Tac Toe.

The AI: Tic Tac Toe's AI is extremely well written. The AI never loses, and at worst, will tie. Tic Tac Toe's AI does not cheat or receive any handicaps or bonuses. Neither can be said of Civilization 5. Plus 1 for Tic Tac Toe.

Replayability: Tic Tac Toe is very replayable. I can personally attest to having played tens of thousands of games in my lifetime. I think I've played 4 games of Civilization 5. Tic Tac Toe benefits strongly from it's good AI, quick turn times, and low barrier to entry. Plus 1 for Tic Tac Toe.

Cost: Tic Tac Toe is free. Civilization 5 costs 50 USD. Plus 1 for Tic Tac Toe.

Multiplayer: Tic Tac Toe's multiplayer supports up to 2 players, is fully functional, and very enjoyable. Adding a human to Tic Tac Toe does not increase turn times beyond the time the other human takes. Tic Tac Toe also supports mods in MP. Civilization 5 MP hides animations, has random unit movement, slower turns, and does not support mods. Plus 1 for Tic Tac Toe.

Overview: Tic Tac Toe scored every point, and thus is a superior game in every way.

Comments, Suggestions for other catagories to rate, and rage are welcome. ;)

Not particularly original, funny or clever.

Not particularly original, funny or clever.

Wasn't meant to be original, funny, or clever. I'm defending Tic Tac Toe from it's ceaseless barrage of comparisons to Civilization 5.

To be honest, i disagree with the point "Replayability".

After some game of Tic Tac Toe, each game is the same.

Civ5 provides a little more ways to achieve victory

To be honest, i disagree with the point "Replayability".

After some game of Tic Tac Toe, each game is the same.

Civ5 provides a little more ways to achieve victory

Ways to win in Civilization 5: Domination, Domination, Domination, Domination, or accidently by culture, when a puppet build the Utopia project.

Ways to win in Tic Tac Toe: There are 3 ways to win, horizontally, vertically, or diagonally.

Streamlining & Organic Feel: Tic Tac Toe is extremely superior in this respect. Tic Tac Toe has exactly one rule: place an "X" or "O" in a square, in an attempt to create a line of 3 of them. Civilization 5 has many rules, 1UPT, Hexes, Global Happiness, all of which make the game increasingly complicated. Plus 1 for Tic Tac Toe.

Streamlined? It's designed for noooobs! I hereby declare Tic Tac Toe CivdoubleRev, because it's that streamlined. And for noobs.

I NEED MAH COMPLEXITY

hmm when i was at university we played a lot of tic-tac-toe variation "connect 5" on unlimited board... now THAT was fun...
and if I remember correctly some peops made some AIs for their projects, but I think connect 5 was a bit tougher for AI since the status tree comes deeper and you need more turns prediction then 2 turns.

Creative way to say "Civ 5 sucks" but personally, I am liking Civ 5. It's an opinion, and he's justified to say it on the forums. He does bring up some good points though... especially with multiplayer...

thinking of getting a pencil, paper, and a friend over...

I've been thinking that, because Tic Tac Toe didn't achieve world wild domination of gaming sales, it was clearly too complex

Therefore I am planning to release Tic Tac Toe Rev

Its still in early dev, so I can only hint at the features. But I can reveal that
1. It involves hexagons and not squares
2. It will have streamlines mechanics, for greater accessibility to the enhanced strategy.

Can I categorically deny that the new Tic Tac Toe Rev does not involve a 2 x 2 grid

Chess is a much superior game to Tic Tac Toe. However it is too complex for noobs to play. ;)

I play tic tac toe on Diety, due to the AI's bonus to production it gets two goes to my one.

Fortunately the diplomacy can be exploited.

Wasn't meant to be original, funny, or clever. I'm defending Tic Tac Toe from it's ceaseless barrage of comparisons to Civilization 5.

In Tic Tac Toe, if the opponent has any experience at all, it is impossible to win.

I've not seen comparisons of that game to civ V in other threads, but if they're anywhere near as intelligent as the comparisons of chess to civ V, then I'm glad I've missed them.

I've not seen comparisons of that game to civ V in other threads, but if they're anywhere near as intelligent as the comparisons of chess to civ V, then I'm glad I've missed them.
Not the entire game, but the "stack on its side" aka "1 upt" combat struck me as being based around a very few simple rules.

Once the AI has been programmed with some simple combat rules ("stay out of range of archers", "attack archers with units that can move > 2" etc) , it will be like tictactoe, "who starts can never lose".

They will have to deliberately nerf the AI as even the CiV lovers will abandon the game when they can't win any combat with a tenth of the AI's units and the only way to win is build a bigger sta.... oops, don't want to get banned for saying the "S" word :lol: Heaven forbid that the best way to win a war is to build a huge army and assemble it one place. How unrealistic and downright boring is that?

The civ V bashing just gets worse and worse. Honestly if you don't like the game then why do you spend your time on the civ V forum moaning about it?

Add something constructive or quiet down so the rest of us can talk about the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom