Meanwhile the AI in Jakarta...

frozen

Chieftain
Spoiler :

:crazyeye::hatsoff:

This has got be some kind of a record

Update:

Well, I played some more and Jakarta is mine now. Here's his capital right before I conquer it

Spoiler :

And here's the lay of the land:
Spoiler :

In retrospect I think this actually makes the game easier in some ways because you can steal tech quite easily. Indonesia managed to get to the Industrial age at t133 and it had a lot of advanced techs to offer. I lost a fully promoted spy at one point but I still managed to get engineering, chivalry, banking, economics, industrialization and rifling.

Whoa. What difficulty is this on?

It's on deity. I have never seen a capital go above 20 before t100 let alone get this close to 30. Granted, I've only played the game for about 350 hours but still..

Is Gajah a runaway? Or is there a chance to catch up to him?

WHY is the AI working the 2-food ocean tiles and NOT working the Fish or Whale tiles?!?

Is Gajah a runaway? Or is there a chance to catch up to him?

well, he only has 3 other cities and they're kind of small but it'll be hard to catch up to him with that kind of science and production output. I'm going for a domination win and he is supposed to be the second target after Harold but who knows. It'll be good if I can catch him before he gets to flight

WHY is the AI working the 2-food ocean tiles and NOT working the Fish or Whale tiles?!?

Hilarious isn't it? :D

He seems to have desert folklore in his religion. Interesting seeing how he has one or two desert tiles. Or are his other cities in the desert?

I haven't explored all of his territory just yet but from what I can see that's all the desert he's got. That's ok though. Dido has half her tiles in the desert and she is a loyal follower of his religion.

Update: Here's a map of his lands. He actually has 4 more inhospitable desert tiles to his name. My capital ended up a bit smaller than what I'd like it to be so the science rate is lower than what I'd like to see at this point. On the bright side I'm buying mosques and pagodas left, right and center

Spoiler :

It would be helpful for everybody if he settled new cities in different continents.

If you know what I mean.

When your empire is unhappy the governor assigns tiles that have less food.
I guess that might explain although it's still stupid given that your growth is already cut by some percentage when unhappy and the hammers and gold seems too valuable to give up.

When your empire is unhappy the governor assigns tiles that have less food.

It still doesn't explain the situation though. He is working at least 3 sea tiles and 2 grassland tiles and has a surplus of 4 food. It would be much better to switch to the whale tile and the fish tile, remove another 3 citizens from the workforce and gain 1 gold and 5 hammers.

Same thing last night on Immortal. Babylon had tons of wonders (14 in total going into Renaissance not counting nationals) he also had 9 city states as his allies and the highest 22 pop capital.

Playing as America I was right next to him. My start involved me rushing for Petra since almost all my tiles but 4 benefited from it. I thought I had to stop Babylon as he was also still 9% ahead in literacy I got my minutemen and Cannons before he had any equivalent military tech and went after him but it was just impossible. He only had 3 cities but they where so close plus the Great Wall and the fact that he was getting free units from all his allies. I couldn't even set up canons well cause of really bad terrain.

I eventually just quit. No way should he have that many city states (they where all like 150 influence as well) and so many wonders. I had the best GNP I don't see how he was buying them all off I believe he only had 2 polices in Patronage.

It still doesn't explain the situation though. He is working at least 3 sea tiles and 2 grassland tiles and has a surplus of 4 food. It would be much better to switch to the whale tile and the fish tile, remove another 3 citizens from the workforce and gain 1 gold and 5 hammers.

Most likely what's happening is that because the AI is working on a wonder it's got its citizens set to 'production focus'. Notice all those unemployed citizens? Extremely inefficient way to run a city but the AI loves to do it when building wonders. As pointed out, though, it still really doesn't explain why the sea resources aren't being worked. Odd indeed. It's even worse when it desperately tries to grow a low-food city and neglects working quality tiles like copper/gems/gold mines in favor of one or two-food tiles...

There are a couple of simple mistakes the AI makes that make it far easier than it would be if Firaxis had bothered even slightly about the AI algorithms: First, it doesn't build nearly enough workers and so often works unimproved tiles. Secondly, for some asinine reason the game will suggest building Lumbermills rather than Farms on fresh water tiles. Even if everything else was left the same (including the 'tactical' AI that, when attacking, loves to embark units into the water where they can be one-shot) but these two small things were fixed, Deity would probably be quite difficult (and sometimes even impossible) to beat.

But one thing for sure is that those unimproved grasslands to the north are actually improved. You can't see improvements without vision.
Good point, could be part of the explanation, but he is still working 2 flat ocean tiles instead of working 1 Fish + 1 unemployed citizen which would have given the same amount of food but additional production. :hammer2:

But one thing for sure is that those unimproved grasslands to the north are actually improved. You can't see improvements without vision.

You are probably right for one of them. The other one stays unimproved even at t197 :D I updated the OP with a screenshot of the land at that point. It's a great start. 4 fish, 1 whale, 3 salt, 1 marble, a river and a nearby mountain. Had that mountain been a tile closer, I would have been done for.

I once saw washington with a 114 pop new york. When i moved a spy into the city, i found that it was bugged, it had negative food production and was instantly growing 1 pop every turn....had to manually delete that city.

Top Bottom