Historical Book Recomendation Thread

You'd subject yourself to that for Quackers?

I already refuted one thing from one book, to which Quackers replied that he doesn't know about what Ferguson wrote in that book :). I suspect he isn't asking for refutations in good faith, so you'll be wasting your time.

If all he wants are a couple of links from stuff I read awhile ago, I might be able to stomach it.

But yeah, I suspect the latter.

if anyone know an article or book review regarding Lotti work Aziyade, do tell me. Thanks

Could anyone recommend a good book, intellectual-political history, on the Founding Fathers' commitment to religious liberty, freedom of conscience, no established church, i.e. the first half of the First Amendment?

I'd like something that takes the long historical view, maybe from Europe's realization, after the Thirty Year War, of the pointlessness of trying to enforce matters of conscience, through Locke and all the other relevant Enlightenment thinkers, through the express hopes of the colonists, but especially surveying all of the discussion by the framers of the Constitution.

It needn't be popular; it can be scholarly. But ideally at least a little zip in the narrative.

I can't really see why a book with such a broad scope would choose that as its focal point. Perhaps a general history of modern political philosophy would be better?

I want it narrowly focused, but historically broad in its approach to that focus.

Hell, there's a history of salt! Don't tell me this doesn't exist.

I want it narrowly focused, but historically broad in its approach to that focus.

Hell, there's a history of salt! Don't tell me this doesn't exist.

:huh:

Yes, Mouthwash. It's called Salt: A World History. Mark Kurlansky. 2011.

So I know there's a book on the historical and intellectual antecedents to freedom of religion. I counted on people active in this thread to have one (or more) titles off the top of their head.

Y'all are going to make me find it myself. Hrmmph.

Well, there's two issues here.

First, that it's not a simple matter of how arcane a topic it is it's about how historians construct their subject matter. Salt is a distinct variety of material resource, the existence of which cannot be brought into question, and there's an established tradition of writing histories from that premise. What you're asking for is not only a book on a particular subject, but a book by an historian who has chosen to construct his subject in a particular way, to trace the same historical threads as you are doing. It's a more complex premise, and there's no guarantee that such a thing exists, or at least not in the particular form you're asking for.

Secondly, it also depends on the kind of history that CFCers are into. You're asking for a particular sort of intellectual history that is both elite and provincial, and I can't think of any users with a particular background in that area. Plotinus can give you a lot of intellectual history particularly as regards Christianity, but colonial America is a bit outside of his stamping grounds. Dachs could probably give you something about popular attitudes in the American Revolution, but intellectual histories don't seem to be his thing. There's probably somebody who can suggest something, but they might not be a regular WHer, so it might take time for them to see it.

Yes, Mouthwash. It's called Salt: A World History. Mark Kurlansky. 2011.

So I know there's a book on the historical and intellectual antecedents to freedom of religion. I counted on people active in this thread to have one (or more) titles off the top of their head.

Y'all are going to make me find it myself. Hrmmph.

I can understand why there might be Religious Freedom: A History - what I don't understand is why anyone remotely versed in the topic would write Religious Freedom: A History to c.1790 unless it was volume 1 of a larger work. The topic evolved so much after that time that it would seem odd to stop there. You can probably find a book on the US Constitution dealing with its intellectual influences, mind, but that's a different question.

I don't understand what's wrong about that. It sounds very interesting, actually.

I was skeptical; however after I looked it up it turned out that I've actually read a portion of it at Books-a-Million. I lost interest halfway through after it veered off from history and started rambling endlessly about medieval dishes.

Medieval dishes are history?

I was skeptical; however after I looked it up it turned out that I've actually read a portion of it at Books-a-Million. I lost interest halfway through after it veered off from history and started rambling endlessly about medieval dishes.

You'd hate reading anything other than pop history.

I can understand why there might be Religious Freedom: A History - what I don't understand is why anyone remotely versed in the topic would write Religious Freedom: A History to c.1790 unless it was volume 1 of a larger work. The topic evolved so much after that time that it would seem odd to stop there. You can probably find a book on the US Constitution dealing with its intellectual influences, mind, but that's a different question.

I'd take volume one of a two volume work.

The reason I think there's gotta be such a thing is that there are certain historical periods of so much interest in themselves (WWII, Civil War) that books get built around the period: forward toward, onward from. I think of the Founding Fathers, debate over the Constitution as one of those historical nodes.

I'll poke around other ways, and if I find something, I'll report back. Hey, just take it as a testament to my sense of y'all's historical knowledge that I thought to ask here first.

I don't understand what's wrong about that. It sounds very interesting, actually.

I've read it. It's a short book, easy read. Nice little book. Not too serious. By the guy who wrote "Cod", another short little book that's a nice read.

I read part of Salt and gave up. The issue wasn't the topic itself but rather the book's execution. I thought the book lacked focus and was concerned about some factual errors I spotted.

Antilogic said:
I was considering that for my reading list--what were the factual errors?
I can't remember off the top of my head the precise details. All I remember is that there were a few and that they were errors of fairly basic history.

I was considering that for my reading list--what were the factual errors?

It's not really that serious a history. I'd like to know what the factual errors are as well. But it's such a short book that I think it's worth reading anyways. :dunno:

Top Bottom