Working with XML

Coyotek4

Chieftain
I'm curious how one actually changes XML (without screwing up other stuff).

Specific example: WITHOUT bothering with downloading a patch, is it possible to go into the XML and manually switching the images of Qin and Kubla (which I only recently learned were switched).

Go to the folder \Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\Art and locate the file "Civ4ArtDefines_Leaderhead.XML" and load it with a text editor. Locate the XML tag "ART_DEF_LEADER_KUBLAI_KHAN" and replace it with "ART_DEF_LEADER_QIN_SHI_HUANG" Do the same with Qin's tag, replacing it with Kublai Khan's. Save the file and you're done.

Save a copy of the file before you start, in case you mess up

I tried this: I was unable to save the file (after opening it in Notepad) after making the changes.

Try running Notepad as Administrator (Right click, choose "Run as Administrator")

What version of Windows are you using?

Find Notepad.exe in the Windows\System32 folder (I think), right click on it and choose "Properties". In the window that pops up, under the Compatibility tab, choose "Run as Administrator" and click "Apply".

It should run Notepad as administrator then and you should be able to save the file to the protected folders that BTS is installed in.

You could also try Notepad++, which is better and likely doesn't have that problem. I use it all the time and never have saving issues.

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

I did it! I got Qin and Kublai swapped without using a patch.

(I guess if I want to keep the backgrounds in the same place, I gotta use the dang patch. Oh well.)

Thx again!

EDIT: I just realized that I went to the "Civilization" folder instead of the "Art" folder, and changed the "CIV4LeaderHeadInfos" file. So ... if I change the one you mentioned above instead, would that change the heads without changing the backgrounds?

Top Bottom