The Germans

Alexsy

Chieftain
I can't quite figure out the Germans, so I'm hoping that some more experienced players can help me. (I play at the regent level, in the 'vanilla' version of Civ.) Seems to me that the best thing to do with them is to launch several small wars in the later middle or early industrial ages, then jump to communism ... for a big war? is democracy a viable gov't for the germans? (maybe these are stupid questions. if so, sorry.)

i'm stuck in a game right now where i've let my neighbors grow too strong. because i'm fairly small size-wise, communism isn't really helping me very much, though to my benefit, i am mass producing panzers and bombers. i think had i taken more land earlier i would be in a much better spot.

any thoughts or tips about the germans would be much appreciated. i love their UU, and i find them an intriguing civ to play.

-alex

Alexsy said:
I can't quite figure out the Germans, so I'm hoping that some more experienced players can help me. (I play at the regent level, in the 'vanilla' version of Civ.) Seems to me that the best thing to do with them is to launch several small wars in the later middle or early industrial ages, then jump to communism ... for a big war? is democracy a viable gov't for the germans? (maybe these are stupid questions. if so, sorry.)

i'm stuck in a game right now where i've let my neighbors grow too strong. because i'm fairly small size-wise, communism isn't really helping me very much, though to my benefit, i am mass producing panzers and bombers. i think had i taken more land earlier i would be in a much better spot.

any thoughts or tips about the germans would be much appreciated. i love their UU, and i find them an intriguing civ to play.

-alex

Welcome to the forums :wavey: . I like playing Germans too due mostly to
ancestry :crazyeye: . Your best bet is to study war academy and Ision's
articles on individual civs-- tons of usefull info and ideas ;) . Early wars are
probably your best bet to grow properly, but read up and find your way to
be :king: .

The panzer is an awesome unit. The increased speed can't be underestimated. I truly love scientific. It gives you a free tech every age you enter and that is your ticket to tech parity or a tech lead. Especially on higher levels. Militaristic is a great trait as well. Cheap barracks (extremely important for a warmonger) and more chances to get a leader. Leaders can be turned into armies and with that you are truly unstoppable in C3C (more than in vanilla and PTW, which actually is a bug imvho).

So all in all I like them very much. However, the panzer comes late and most of my games (especially the ones with a straight forward ruleset) end before that (during the age of cavalry/infantry/artillery).

Democracy is a good government type, but if you are going to war a lot you have to realise that war weariness is a real burden. Communism (and Monarchy earlier on) is the best true warmonger goverment. Republic is the best all round goverment. It is great for peaceful times (only slightly less than democracy) and also good enough for wars. War weariness is a bother, but it can be dealt with. It is generally not a good idea to switch governments frequently (unless you are a religious civ, which Germany obviously isn't). The government type is a strategic decision and not a tactical one.

Well, there isn't any particular way that you are forced to play the germans. All the civs are more similar than they are different, so really just do what you want. That being said, I can think of a plan that might work particularly well with the Germans.

The Gremans are scientific and militaristic, so they start the game with bronze working and warrior code. They can build spearmen and archers from the very beginning, and they are only one tech away from iron working. This makes them a good candidate for some very early war. Since they don't have any traits that make them particularly good at growing their own cities, maybe early fighting is the way to go.

Use this early war to grab "more than your fair share" of territory. Then use your medium to large-sized empire and scientific trait to keep up in the tech race. If you ever see that you have an advantage in tech or resources or alliances over a neighbor, use that opportunity to attack. Maybe conquer the workd, or maybe just become the superpower until you win by the UN or spaceship.

That's just a loose gameplan, but I think it plays to the germans' strengths. In your current game, since you're still small at the end if the industrial age, I'd say that it's more important to damage others than to build up yourself. Make alliances against your powerful enemies, and as your allies fight them, use your bombers and panzers to quickly strike at their best cities. After you destroy a few of those, you'll be the world leader in science and production: perfect to win by spaceship.

Hope that helps!

I like playing as Germany too.Their two traits are wonderful.The panzer is the most powerful UU in Civ3.But the downside for Gernmany is , the panzer comes too late.It is rarely helpful to change your situation because: 1) The other rivals is also strong with a lots of military units. 2) AIs have railroads now that means all of its units can be gathered in 1 turn.So modern era is good for defenders not offenders.Before modern era those UU with extra movement are good.But the extra movements for panzer is not so worthy as before.

Medieval Age is the crucial period.As soon as you have some knights,immediately rush out and cooperate with your allies fight AIs.And try your best to keep AIs fighting each other.Once you have 20+ cities in Industrial Age,you are certain to win the game.

my$.02
My current game is my first with the Germans. vanilla emporer large map
Mainly defended against the Romans on our continent thru ancient and med ages.
Finally caught up on tech with ToE. Bided my time until Panzers.
By this time Rome had annexed Greece and Egypt and were the most powerful, but they've been picked on by nearly everybody and have held them somewhat in check.
Even with panzers, it's been SLOW beating them back because I couldn't afford upgrades (cannons to arty and defenders string ....) and because my AI allies of course are awful with the amphibious assault. With the GA, I've beat them back to the chokepoint and since then have employed human/waracademy tactics and things have been going better even after the end of the GA. Decent supply of GL though got me UN and Manhattan and has kept me up in Spacerace.
Been in Republic the whole time and have been able to trade for all luxuries.
The ww hasn't been too big a deal because Rome has been starting the wars.
Had almost everybody as ally against Rome when UN came so I held the vote and won, but I've wanted modern age war practice so have continued on (from save before UN victory).

Probably have to go for a spacerace victory now (I've been trading the less powerful techs for luxs). ww is more serious now because when I got MArmors, I decided to punish Rome for pestering me all these years and declared on them. Still have a ways to go to push them into the sea @1900ad. Since income and savings have been a problem, I've thought about peace (my next tech has slowed because of ww/lux spending), but I'm reluctant to let them off the ropes (ALL their rubber and oil are within bomber on carrier)
range) It should be easier when they begin only throwing cavs and riflemen at me I'm hoping.
sorry for the ramble, but it's been a fun game and I wanted to share.
Summary
I wish I could've managed more cities for more cheap libs/univ early on so wouldn't have had to catch up so much. Struggled with gold most of the game and losing cities from culture flips to France and England on their continents. Might have trouble with spacerace victory since France is ahead on tech and have lots of cash, but I have 100 years or so to take out their capitol.

wxwindmill thx for sharing your story :)

Did you think about expanding your cities "inward" if you have troubles with your lack of cannon fodder and cant expand anymore ?

HiroHito said:
wxwindmill thx for sharing your story :)

Did you think about expanding your cities "inward" if you have troubles with your lack of cannon fodder and cant expand anymore ?

Lots of tundra and desert -- didn't seem worth it ???
btw Stayed Republic mainly because not enough cities for communism (and bad timing) and alliances kept wars too long for democracy

Hey all, thanks for your help. I started a new game as the Germans again, to try some new tactical and strategic ideas, and i've definitely found some tips that work. ision's review of germany is dead-on: small, as he says, 'bite-sized' wars are the way to go. i just took out the russians like that, small war, a stack or two of calvary only, and i am definitely in a position to dominate the rest of the continent when panzers and artillery come around.

Top Bottom