Just finished my first immortal game, curious what i could have done better

Meridian36

Chieftain
So, I just won my first immortal game, SV with catherine. Continents map, no barbs, 8 players. Save is uploaded. I'll write everything down in spoiler box

Spoiler :
Turned out to be isolated on a island with 2 city states, with no coastal capital. Purchased trireme in second city to explore, and met kamehameha to the south. He turned out to be isolated as well. Opted for science from the beginning of the game. 4 city tradition, opened up liberty waiting for rationalism. I grabbed Oracle for free, same with angkor wat. Got porcelain tower as well. The game was on my end one big turtle without militairy, while dido destroyed venice and arabia (never met them) and the whole continent was one big war. Polynesia was a big runaway, but i was ahead in tech after midgame. Polynesia wanted cultural vic, but good guy selassie delayed him big time. Missed out on ISS. Stupid dido with 30 cities grabbed it with ease. Luckily polynesia picked order, wich was really nice. finished the game with the lv 3 tenet for bulbing spaceshipparts with the engineers. bulb particle physics, bulb part, next turn, victory in 331 turns. I think it could have been sub 300
I made some stupid mistakes. I missed out on the free social policy from worlds fair due to missing the notification. Also, i didnt use my spies to get citystates that much after i was tech leader, with the annoying arts funding as a result. I should have cared more about cs at all, kamehameha soaked them all.

Hi,

To me it seems an easy setup as you are not annoyed on your continent by AI. From your screen the first thing I see is that you have too many GS buildings, and should have bulbed more GS. Yet this is arguable.

I see also that:

You have only 5 caravans. My point of view is that in a peaceful game yu should always have the maximum amount of caravans.
Horse, iron you don't need: Sell it! Especially good with Catherine.

Now my advice is this: If you want to do some progress in order to move on Deity (which seems in good way) -> Try to win on a pangea Immortal map with raging barb first. You should learn how to deal with war and fine tune diplo with AI.

Anyways, GG for your first win!

Best regards,

Too many academy. They provide 8 science most of the game, 10 with nuclear technology and 12-14 with new deal from freedom (I wish you at least pick freedom after planting so many...)

The you add modifiers. 88% with Uni+NC (100% with free thought) then 150/200% with observatories and labs.

First GS comes around T125-130. For a 300turn victory an academy will provide 170turn of science. That one is probably worth it, but it should become quite obvious that after the first or second it becomes weak compared to saving them and bulbing only key techs. For someone aiming for a 240victory it's even more obvious.

3 trade routes left, no apparent cargos between your 2 coastal cities. Thats a huge mistake here.

Sell extra ressource, you play peaceful oil etc is useless to you.

I see unused faith, you didn't buy an engineer or a scientist at the end ? 12 faith is rather poor too.

Why did you plant an engineer instead of rushing a wonder ?

You have low culture, do you ally cultural CS ?

Many top players recommend planting all GS until you research Scientific Theory, then burning them 8 turns after your research labs are built. So whether you have too many academies depends on when you planted them.

thanks for all the tips :)

getting wonders was pretty hard, they got spammed around, and i only got the ones who the AI's left open. By the time i could rush something with faith bought engineer, i had already a normal generated one or there was nothing of use left. The last engineers was planted in turn 330 for fun btw.

The trade routes indeed are pretty sloppy of me, agreed.
Nobody wanted horses or iron for all of the game. But yeah, i should have selled my oil.

Had to pick order, because of stupid cultural runaway polynesia. Probably should have bulbed more though.

I had cultural CS allies for the biggest part of the game, i focused them. Lost them in the last 10 turns because polynesia took them and i was like nah you can have them. I had finished tradition and and worked up to the lv 3 tenet of order.

I just played my first real game of diety yesterday and won around turn 320: slow i know, but from what ive seen in your game, you placed too many academies, i only placed 4 in my game yesterday, after that you should just bulb to plastics asap, Also since you was on a continent on your own you should have used the turns in which you normally build some troops to build caravans, whether thats food to your cities or cargo ships for gold.

I'm also wondering why you have so much faith saved up? could have use the faith to build a ge and rush built a spaceship part to speed up your win, however your growth looks good but your start is also good with a river and salt, also how many city states did you ally with?

thanks for all the tips :)

getting wonders was pretty hard, they got spammed around, and i only got the ones who the AI's left open. By the time i could rush something with faith bought engineer, i had already a normal generated one or there was nothing of use left. The last engineers was planted in turn 330 for fun btw.

First off, congrats on your first Immortal victory.

If you finish Rationalism, you can purchase Great Scientists. If you have about 30 faith per turn by turn 130, you would have had 6k faith to spend on 3 great scientists, netting about 7 turns of science each. Getting to 50+ isn't difficult at all either, which would have netted you a lot of faith, allowing for 4 GS and engineers. That is a lot of saved time. The same goes if you had saved back 4 of those academies. Between both might save you 50 turns.

And while the city populations seem fine for a turn 250-280 win, at turn 330, your cities should be larger, which probably means you are likely not focusing enough on food (cargo ships and caravans can help with that).

And of course, if you do speed up all that by 50 turns, you are going to have fewer policies, which means you need to get your culture going better.

Top Bottom