Star Wars Mod

Gangor

King
“A New Beginning

It is a dark time for the Rebel Alliance. Although Darth Vader and his creation, the Death Star, have been defeated, the future is still bleak. The important base of Yavin 4 must now be abandoned and the Imperial Navy has a vast superiority over it’s fledgling Rebel counterpart.

The plucky Rebels look now to leverage the hope sprung from their destruction of the Death Star to gather support amongst the independent worlds, sending out diplomats to the many systems of the inner rim.

The evil Galactic Empire responds with ruthless brutality, relying upon fear to keep systems in line. The Imperial Navy scourges the galaxy...”

This mod is currently in progress. We’re in the process of finishing up the design doc (although this is still likely to change as we go along) and beginning implementation. Here we could do with some help. We are looking for someone to be in charge of terrain, and someone to help with XML and Lua coding. Alternatively, if you’re planning a different Sci Fi mod then we’d be happy to team up creating features that could be in both mods. Any ideas for improving the intro would be helpful too!

Features:

• Distinct teams - The Galactic Empire and the Rebel Alliance - each have different advantages and disadvantages, and must use different strategies to succeed.
  • Different, challenging goals for each team.
  • A full roster of units and characters from the movies and previous games.
  • A procedurally generated galaxy.
  • Independent systems which must be wooed - or conquered
  • Enlist the Bothans to find out what the Empire is up to.
  • Build stations to research tech, give your units a bonus or keep your people happy (amongst other effects). Or destroy them to keep your opponent on the back foot!
  • Instill the galaxy with Fear or Hope to further your goals (ties in with Independent Systems).
  • Build the Death Star to strike Fear into the hearts of all galactic citizens - or destroy it to fill them with Hope!

List of unit models we'll be needing, if you want to help out:

YT-1400
Shuttle
Stormtrooper Transport
Rebel Medium Transport
Corellian Corvette
Assault Frigate
Mon Calamari Cruiser - Light
Mon Calamari Cruiser
Mon Cal Cruiser - Home 1
Z-95
X-Wing
Y-Wing
B-Wing
A-Wing
Firespray Fighter
Star Galleon
Carrack cruiser
Strike cruiser
Victory Star Destroyer
Imperial Star Destroyer
Super Star Destroyer
Interdictor Cruiser
TIE fighter
TIE intercepter
TIE bomber
Death Star
Dreadnought
Nebulon B Frigate
Space Station Constructor

Space station graphics (stationary units):

Research Lab
Bazaar
Shipyard
Military Outpost
Repair Station
Communications Array
Entertainment Station
Golan Platform

Also needed, 2d icons for units:

Luke Skywalker
Leia Organa
Han Solo
Mon Mothma
Luke Skywalker (Captured)
Leia Organa (Captured)
Han Solo (Captured)
Mon Mothma (Captured)
Rebel Commandos
Smuggler
Rebel Infantry
Corellian Corvette
Assault Frigate
Mon Calamari Cruiser - Light
Mon Calamari Cruiser
Mon Cal Cruiser - Home 1 (Admiral Akbar?)
Z-95
X-Wing
Y-Wing
B-Wing
A-Wing
Bounty Hunter
AT-ATs
Stormtroopers
Carrack cruiser
Strike cruiser
Victory Star Destroyer
Imperial Star Destroyer
Super Star Destroyer
Interdictor Cruiser
TIE fighter
TIE intercepter
TIE bomber
Death Star
Slaves
Dreadnought
Nebulon B Frigate
Space Station Constructor
Research Lab
Bazaar
Shipyard
Military Outpost
Repair Station
Communications Array
Entertainment Station
Golan Platform
Death Star parts (various)

I absolutely loved every single tiny aspect of Final Frontier for Civ4. I'm a writer and a level designer.. you can count me in mate. :)

I absolutely loved every single tiny aspect of Final Frontier for Civ4. I'm a writer and a level designer.. you can count me in mate. :)

We'd be happy for some help. Do you also have some programming skills, or knowledge of Lua? Ideas for terrain (I had thought of somehow using stuff from FF)? Maybe you can re-write that intro from above from it's current, rather boring, state?? Send me a PM.

I'm afraid I can't send a PM at this very moment. It seems since I am still a new user to the forums I have a few restrictions. Feel free to message me on MSN though; michael.lerch[at]hotmail[dot]com

Some factions I can think of:

The Hut Clan
The Bounty hunters Guild
New Mandalore
Sith????

Hey, great! Most of the design is actually finished, however there's always room for refinement. What we really need help with is implementation. If you think you can help with that drop me a PM.

Gangor; you may have added my old Skype account. Please add MichaelBHG. What is your Skype name?

Many thanks,
Michael

I disagree that the reason that the Civ4 Star Wars Mod failed was that it tried to do too much. Even if it had a much more limited goal it would have failed; the reason in it's failure lies first of all in the lack of people committed to it - many would pop in, give ideas and such, but few did the hard work necessary.

I disagree that the reason that the Civ4 Star Wars Mod failed was that it tried to do too much. Even if it had a much more limited goal it would have failed; the reason in it's failure lies first of all in the lack of people committed to it - many would pop in, give ideas and such, but few did the hard work necessary.

Yeah, it's fairly incoherent design didn't help to inspire people with enthusiasm I guess. With this mod we've given ourselves quite a few constraints in order to prevent this from happening again. I think our design decisions will result in a gaming experience quite different to vanilla Civ 5, and quite recognisably "star warsy".

We do already have several people working on the mod, and I'm confident that we'll eventually finish it, however more help it always welcome. Many hands makes light work, etc.

Yeah, it's fairly incoherent design didn't help to inspire people with enthusiasm I guess. With this mod we've given ourselves quite a few constraints in order to prevent this from happening again. I think our design decisions will result in a gaming experience quite different to vanilla Civ 5, and quite recognisably "star warsy".

We do already have several people working on the mod, and I'm confident that we'll eventually finish it, however more help it always welcome. Many hands makes light work, etc.

I agree - this is looking quite promising.

EDIT: How hard would it be to convert the Star Wars units we had for Civ4 to Civ5?

Also, would the leaderheads be of any use?

I agree - this is looking quite promising.
Thanks!

EDIT: How hard would it be to convert the Star Wars units we had for Civ4 to Civ5?
Not sure, I'm doing scripting rather than units. From what I can tell though, there's no shortage of star wars models on the web

Also, would the leaderheads be of any use?
No, the two teams won't be negotiating...

Edit: Actually, perhaps in subsequent versions. We could potentially add additional teams. That would likely be some time in the future, though

Top Bottom