Beyond the Monument Episode 20 - Entering the Brave New World! (discussion thread)

Well where else is the plane going to land, in the harbour?
EDIT > Actually it turns out I was wrong. If above poster is correct, it seems the description says Airlifts to and from the city. So it would seem to require an Airport in target city also.

Harbors are pretty awful now, aren't they?
Don't think you wanna start adding those to most of your cities before the industrial age and maybe never if you don't have navy to secure your sea trade routes.

Harbors are pretty awful now, aren't they?
Don't think you wanna start adding those to most of your cities before the industrial age and maybe never if you don't have navy to secure your sea trade routes.

With how crucial sea trade routes appear to be, most players would have at least a small nave to protect them.

FeiLing: While I wouldn't consider Harbors 'awful', Carthage certainly took a blow by losing its immediate Production on Sea Resources.

I'm a bit disappointed that the Dutch UA didn't get an additional bonus like 50% more gold from pillaging sea trade routes or 50% more range. Now that you can't really trade away your luxuries at the start of the game it seems the Dutch got nerfed a lot. Meanwhile the more popular Arabia got even more powerful..

I'm disappointed that there were no other changes, but thematically at least I love the change to Arabia. I've also wondered about how balanced it is, though, since Arabia has been a strong civ on the back a very strong UB and very strong UU in spite of a mediocre UA, and now the UA is pretty good.

Of course it may still be that, like India, there are tweaks to UUs and UBs that we didn't see on the UA screen, but the Netherlands with no trade route-based UA feels wrong, and the failure to change the German UA means - I still suspect - too much overlap with the Zulu.

I watched a bit in the live stream yesterday, but am only now watching from the beginning, and I haven't seen this discussed. The Shoshone Pathfinder's first ruin doesn't provide an option to obtain faith - does this mean faith ruins are out of the game?

IIRC, Mad said in his stream that is isn't available the first X turns?

^If you listened to the discussion when he found the second ruin, ruins don't spawn faith until turn 20.

Faith can only be gotten from ruins after you've found a pantheon or after turn 20 - to make it more balanced. He mentioned it when he found the 2nd or 3rd ruin afair.
I actually think this is also true already for g&k.

edit)... too slow.

The ruin ability still follows the normal rules, meaning you can only get Faith after 20th Turn (or after you have a Pantheon), can pick settlers and workers on chieftain and settler difficulty (I would assume) and that the Tech you get is random, as well as the Gold you get.

I think he gets the picture.

He did however also mention that it does not work exactly like the Mayan thing which you have to pick every single option once before it becomes available again. I think he said 3 items have to be picked, then they become available again... so circling pop-tech-culture/faith-compbowupgrade (lol) seems amazing - especially since you will never be forced to take maps/barbcamps.

Watching now!

Did anything come up in this about the costs of social policies (as in, are they still the same as before)?

Having seen the full thing, this doesn't seem to have been mentioned, although I note that in the late game save, he'd only filled out two policy trees and had unlocked quite an advanced ideology, so I'm assuming this means that policy costs are the same or thereabouts...

How much do tenets cost?

Having seen the full thing, this doesn't seem to have been mentioned, although I note that in the late game save, he'd only filled out two policy trees and had unlocked quite an advanced ideology, so I'm assuming this means that policy costs are the same or thereabouts...

How much do tenets cost?

He also had quite a lot of ideology tenets.

He also had quite a lot of ideology tenets.

That's what I meant by 'advanced ideology', i.e. a well-developed one.

So presumably you could ignore your ideological tenets to some extent in order to pick up a few more social policies, although presumably that would be a dumb thing to do.

I guess this makes deciding which policy trees you want to open all the more important since you won't have time to complete more than two or three.

How much do tenets cost?

It's been confirmed that policy costs are lower - MD had five cities and ~24 SPs and his next was (iirc) 4700: even if he had three free SPs the cost would be almost double in G&K.:)

Top Bottom