Do we want a third expansion and/or more DLC for Civ 5?

Do we want to see more expansions/DLCs for Civ 5?

• Total voters
They said in one of the interviews (the Kotaku (sp?) one I believe) that they'd been working on Civ V for 7 years - since 2006, then. It was originally brought out in late 2010...so we're talking 4 years.

'Twas the Polygon interview.

The difference between EPs and Base Games is that Base Games are made from scratch, EPs use existing cose thus reducing A LOT of time, which is how quick they come out.

However, it isn't unlikely to have a dev team working on both (Base game and EP for the previous series game). So it's very likely they probably have begun working on Civ 6.

However, it isn't unlikely to have a dev team working on both (Base game and EP for the previous series game). So it's very likely they probably have begun working on Civ 6.

Absolutely right - case in point that we've deduced from the Polygon article that they commenced work on Civ V in 2006, but BTS for Civ IV didn't come out until 2007. The only thing to mention though is the Ed Beach factor. If there is going to be anything else created Civ-wise, dear lord let him be at the forefront of it. Sid Meier aside, Ed is (IMHO) the best thing to happen to the Civilization series.

thanks for the responses. in any case, it seems like there's still a lot of time to play civ 5 before it becomes the old thing.

Looking at all the new features and mechanics they put in BNW, the game feels complete now, from the ancient to the information era. I think that another expansion with more stuff could add unnecessary complexity.

What would be really cool is a new game using the same engine. Something similar to Alpha Centauri, but in our solar system, with colonization of planets, terraforming, new techs (of course), new factions (included an "United Earth" government), etc.
Another idea could be a mythological Civilization game, similar to Age of Mythology was to Age of Empires. Or another Colonization, but the remake with civ IV is fairly recent.

There are many great stuff to do, besides Civ6.

While I'm not necessarily in agreement with this statement, I can understand those who say that they don't want (too many) more features in the game, in order to not overload it. I think there is room for more, but I appreciate that game can be overloaded.

What bugs me is that there are some things in the game that just really needs to be fleshed out imo. Resource system is STILL lacking, even after trade routes, particularly with regards to bonus resources. That is something that could really need some attendance. And Spy system is just downright horrible, and would need a complete overhaul in my opinion. And then of course there are the AI and diplomacy issues.

Problem is that you don't make an expansion pack that only focuses on existing features. Much as I'm positive most of the fans would love it, I don't think they will risk putting a lot of resources into that for fear of it not being a seller because people might object to "buying something they've already bought once"*. So if they were to make an expansion pack, there would have to be some new features to promote it on. I have a very hard time believing the game would actually become a worse game by having another expansion, even if it does reach a point were less game features would have cut it, I'm positive the added value from improving those areas of the game that are currently lacking would more than outweigh it.

*And given that we see people complaining over some GnK features being included in BnW without giving a discount to GnK owners, I guess we can say that is a reasonable concern.

I think one thing we could use is to have more stuff to do in peace time that is related to your own civilization. While Routes and Congress defeniately gonna liven it up, I still think that it might become a click fest a little bit. Something like local elections, maybe even "Civics" that you switch out, or even governments, or something like that.

Looking at all the new features and mechanics they put in BNW, the game feels complete now, from the ancient to the information era. I think that another expansion with more stuff could add unnecessary complexity.

What would be really cool is a new game using the same engine. Something similar to Alpha Centauri, but in our solar system, with colonization of planets, terraforming, new techs (of course), new factions (included an "United Earth" government), etc.
Another idea could be a mythological Civilization game, similar to Age of Mythology was to Age of Empires. Or another Colonization, but the remake with civ IV is fairly recent.

There are many great stuff to do, besides Civ6.

The mythological Civ game would have an expansion featuring giant elemental golems, just like how AoMs expansion had Titans.

I really think the modern era / late game need to be more dynamic and exciting. New wonders, a revamped space race, that sort of thing.

There's still much room for expansion but I'm not sure whether Civ 5 can handle it. It already takes ages to pass an AI turn on huge maps in late game and the AI itself is often lacking in basic wits. As for today, AI is often incapable of proper development of its land, establishing a reasonable religious expansion system and most importantly, waging a war. Further additions could cripple both AI and hardware even further. I'm already afraid that AI will not be capable of managing its trade routes properly.

If it's possible, I'd like to see one more expansion with:
- flexible borders (territory trading, peace-treaty territory adjustment, cultural influence making tiles flip)
- real religion (proper diplomatic modifiers, religious unrest, general reduction of unhappiness etc.)
- random factors (technology-related "inventions" and "events" like random great works of art, temporary tourism boost due to successful tv series, citizens start to fancy horse riding which results in bonus happiness from the resource etc. etc.)
- borders sparking tension in relation to international relations (real tension: decreased production, random sabotage of improvements OR bonus tourism, bonus culture, bonus commerce)
- tech and resource dependent development ("your trade routes generate only 50% of potential commerce because you have only 5/10 horses needed to properly maintain them all [or you could just invent cars]" or "construction of buildings in Berlin is at 66% efficiency because you have only 20/30 iron needed for your empire's development")

Now civilizations are internally static and I'd really love to see that changed.

This, as well as:
-Civ Points/Glory Points/Honor Points - Every time you build a wonder, find a Civ, win a battle, found a pantheon, be the first to unlock a SP branch, or discover a tech first, you earn CP, which you can spend in various ways (upgrading cities, upgrading a unit line (so all melee boats for example start with a certain promotions(s)), and buying GPs)
-Growable Cities - See above. When you found a city (except for your Capital), you have the ability to upgrade your city to the next level, using Civ Points. The tree would look like: Hamlet->Village->Town->City->Metropolis. Each level would have quicker growth, higher combat strength, and be able to work an extra ring of tiles (Hamlet=1, Village=2...Metropolis=5), but would take an exponentially larger toll on your happiness. When a settlement is captured, it suffers a 20% population loss, AND defers to the settlement grade below it. A hamlet is automatically destroyed upon capture. Cities would also have a sort of policy tree, with five levels of upgrades available (bought using CP). A hamlet has access to the first tier, a village to the first and second, all the way to a metropolis which has access to all five tiers.

What do you think?:p

I think these are great ideas and I'd really like a new expansion to deal with espionage and revolution type content, as I wrote in the other thread around this matter (which was very similar at times to this one)

Spoiler :
The way I understood it, they weren't intending to do another expansion pack unless fans wanted it.

That said, I've got a list of features I'd like to see if they do release a new expansion. (these aren't my ideas, just ideas I like - well a couple are mine but anyway)

Revolutions!
In addition to national happiness, cities have local happiness relating to how much a city agrees with the ideology of the government, religious matters (I'll get to this in a second), and local happiness buildings. Unhappiness from population is part of Local Unhappiness, and in addition certain buildings, policies, ideologies and religious tenants may cause either happiness or unhappiness at a local level.

National Happiness is used for Empire Wide stability, but local happiness can cause a single city, or a few neighbouring cites to brake away from an empire and, depending of the circumstances, join another city, found a new city state or found a minor civ (I'll get to this later too).

If there is high national unhappiness ~20, rebels can spawn near the capital and around particularly unhappy cities. If they Capture the Capital, its a revolution, which may change one or more factors e.g. Ideology, (Policies Piety vs. Rationalism e.g.) or State religion.

State Religion:
The dominant religion in your capital; Bonus Happiness for Cities where your state religion is dominant, unhappiness where it is dominated by another religion.

In addition Religions could have tolerance levels Ranging from very tolerant (of other religions) to very intolerant, decided when the religion was founded (and maybe changed when it was improved?) Basically: More Intolerant religions get a religious pressure bonus and speed bonus and allow the inquisitor unit, but get a greater unhappiness modifier for differing from the state religion or having followers of other religions in a city and have greater Diplomatic bonus/penalties for the same/different religions, while tolerant religions get happiness for having the same religion as the capital, but less/no penalties for differing, and maybe even being able to use the beliefs of more than one religion if the number of followers is high enough, but have less religious pressure and cannot use inquisitors? Also maybe spread slower.

Maybe tolerance is the wrong word there, suggestions for a better one welcome.

Local health
Based of health buildings, local health resources as well as policies, religion, ideologies.
Affects the probability of Plague starting in a city, as well as how long it lasts for in a city. Spread by trade routes?

Minor Civs
Sufficiently advanced City States can become minor civs by building another city. There should probably be a restriction so they can only do it when they are 'advanced'. At least among city states.

Minor Civs become city states by only having one city.

Major civs can form minor civs by local rebellion (as stated earlier).
Losing a capital to a foreign empire should probably cause significant local discontent so large empires start to break up if their capital is taken.

Minor Civs become major civs (i.e. ones that can win) if they become significant enough (e.g. overtake the bottom major civ with score?, build a wonder etc.)

I agree that Espionage needs a bit of work done to it; I would like to be able to recruit more spies, either with money or a lot of productivity (I mean about the same as a national wonder, per spy) as well as more variety of spy missions, cold war style; Encouraging rebel factions who agree with your ideology and/or religion, Poisoning the water supply to increase chance of starting a plague, swaying local and national opinion of my ideologies stealing more that just tech- maps or even great works!

I like the idea of random events returning, and the 3rd Unique was a great idea.
Obviously more civs and city states, also new improvements like the canal (good idea Princeofnigeria) although I think they should be able to cross roads, or at least railroads.

to quote what I said there.

edit: No one did suggest a better name for the tolerance thing, and I still think the name may need work.

Also later in the thread being able to found colonies, which were CS which defaulted to allied to you unless your popularity with them became too low, in which case they might rebel.

Seriously there are quite a lot of ideas on the other thread, and I strongly advise people to look at it for ideas.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=497668

You know, the more I think about it, screw Civ6. I want to see more refinement of Civ5.

New Xpack, IMO, would be best. There are all kinds of cool new mechanics we could add.

Top Bottom