While We Wait: Writer's Block & Other Lame Excuses

Status
Not open for further replies.
No SQUAWK! no sale. (Pretty good.) I see your parody song and raise you:

Link to video.

Brazil won the WWI. It all happened thanks to the Battle of porpoises.

Vessels of the Naval Division in War Operations were ordered to follow the English Admiralty to Gibraltar. Admiral Pedro Max Fernando Frontin been warned to be careful because the battleship HMS Britannia, assigned to accompany the Brazilian fleet had been sunk by a German submarine, and there was a warning of the presence of more submarines in the area.

In this context, the commander of the cruiser Bahia confused a bunch of porpoises with the trace of the periscope of a German submarine, resulting in unexpected attack the school of fish. The carnage was widespread, resulting in the massacre and finally the German attack never happened.

However the momentum of bravery demonstrated only came to feed the popular imagination, among many jokes, reports a German commander who saw what had happened, and said: "If they did it with a group of dolphins, imagine what they will do with us!"
:woohoo:

Most important thing you gotta know about WWI: Man, Luckymoose and I used to get sheit done. Good ol' days.

Japan is shifty. I waited until I had four data points to concretize the idea.

1. Whenever DARPA first wanted to get into powered armor research, they didn't go with the Sarcos XOS, UC Berkeley's BLEEX, or Lockheed Martin HULC, they went to a Japanese company called CYBERDYNE and their HAL-5. If the fact that Yoshiyuki Sankai named his company apparently in honor of Terminator 2's Cyberdyne Systems, and his suit in honor of 2001: A Space Odyssey's murderous HAL-9000 disturbs you, don't worry, because he says he turned DARPA down because his creations are only for peaceful purposes.
  2. Japan wanted to build the Gundam Academy. Then the LDP actually wanted to build Gundams. It's worth noting that the lead series, Mobile Suit Gundam, starts off during this thing called the One Year War in which something like 4+ billion people die in the first week, and which mainly focuses on technology being used to facilitate things like child soldiering and race wars. Maybe bringing it to life isn't such a good idea.
  3. Japan wants to build orbital solar arrays and beam the power back to Earth. While the idea isn't new or Japanese, they seem to be the only ones seriously pursuing it. They also recognize the problems with the beaming scheme (as opposed to say, a hardline) in that if the beams go off target they do bad things like Microwave Power Plants in SimCity 3000 (a much less powerful system, like say, COBRA DANE radars, will literally cook birds that fly through their beams) which is why the receivers are all planned to be built at sea. This means they also understand the dual-use nature of such facilities as weapons.
  4. Japan was interested in using Peaceful Nuclear Explosions to construct a Thai/Kra Canal in the 1980s, a decade after the US and USSR had mostly wound down their ambitions for using such devices for civil engineering projects. One wonders why they thought it was a good idea given people with nukes and practice no longer did, where they would have gotten the nukes from, how they would've mitigated the radiation, and how they would've sold the idea at home given how much Japan likes to play the Hiroshima and Nagasaki victim card.
As I think about it, I think the Japanese approach to things is a lot like that of BitCoin advocates, only instead of "... but with BitCoin!" it's "... but 'peacefully'!" despite the fact anything dual use never just stays peaceful. It could be naivete. Or it could be shifty.

"Let's make powered armor suits... but peacefully!"
"Let's make giant death robots... but peacefully!"
"Let's make orbital beam weapons... but peacefully!"
"Let's use nuclear bombs... but peacefully!"

Look, Japan's constitution says that it can't put boots on the soil in other countries. It says nothing about frying enemy formations from space with immense beam weapons and using those to intimidate its enemies into joining the new glorious Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere.

Its like the 80s "Japan takes over the world" stereotype all over again.

Grandkhan said:
Look, Japan's constitution says that it can't put boots on the soil in other countries. It says nothing about frying enemy formations from space with immense beam weapons and using those to intimidate its enemies into joining the new glorious Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere.
The current interpretation of Article 9 bars Japan from having more than the minimum needed for self-defense. It also explicitly forbids "the threat or use of force as means of settling international disputes". So no dice.

I don't buy that Masada. The US military-corporate complex has already destabilised the world and invalidated any conventions on settling international disputes. Just label your enemies 'terrorists'.

So Japan is conspiring to fry us from space and then stomp the survivors with giant mecha. None of which is 'boots on the ground'. Its over.

if i were to be eradicated by a superior force, i think gdrs seem like the way to go. much preferable to nuclear fallout or biowarfare or kz-camps

if i were to be eradicated by a superior force, i think gdrs seem like the way to go. much preferable to nuclear fallout or biowarfare or kz-camps

So why are you typing like this? Are you trying to copy the troll style of dachs?

I vote we ship everyone pushing a Cold War II narrative, including the entire editorial board of Time Magazine, off to a gulag.

Turkey and Iran - the new cold war enemies? Find out next time on What Passes For Journalism.

Shippers would be a darker fate than the gulags, I would not wish them upon anyone.

Does anyone know how to take a game that you built a map in in a scenario in Civ IV and convert it into a map itself? I built a huge version of Pangea that resembles earth about 237 million years ago. Pretty good looking map if I do say so myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom