How to rush great library and petra

I just tried Warmaul's technique on Deity and it damn near worked. I missed the f'ing GL by one freakin' turn! If I'd had one more forest to chop I could've had it, but sadly, I had only one tile of timber.

I know this is obvious to veterans, but just to clarify: the reason you can't try Great Library above Emperor is because AI starts with Pottery, so they have 10 or more turns in advance to build it. And it seems that every AI tries for Great Library.

Some mentioned the "feeling" of being able to do build it. Actually, there's a logic behind it. Aside from having good initial production, if you notice someone proposing an Embassy before you researched Writing, that means they already have that tech and so it's very likely they're already building it. Of course, if nobody does that, that doesn't proof that somebody you didn't met isn't doing exactly the same thing.

Thank you for clarifying this.

If you play as Egypt and pick the Monument to Gods pantheon and open Aristocracy before Citizenship your build queue can be this on Emperor:
Monument->Scout->Granary->GL->Stonehenge->Pyramids->NC->Settler->Petra/Colossus->Oracle->Great Wall
A good production based starting location means you can have the Great Wall up before turn 80, if not it'll be around 100. Hopefully you pop a GE before you complete Liberty for your second GE. If you have marble nearby open Citizenship(or steal a worker) before Aristocracy and beeline Masonry. I once had a Petra Thebes with access to 3 wheat and a bunch of desert hills, I was building Classical wonders in 6 turns.......

I know this is obvious to veterans, but just to clarify: the reason you can't try Great Library above Emperor is because AI starts with Pottery, so they have 10 or more turns in advance to build it. And it seems that every AI tries for Great Library.

Some mentioned the "feeling" of being able to do build it. Actually, there's a logic behind it. Aside from having good initial production, if you notice someone proposing an Embassy before you researched Writing, that means they already have that tech and so it's very likely they're already building it. Of course, if nobody does that, that doesn't proof that somebody you didn't met isn't doing exactly the same thing.

Thank you for clarifying this.

It's absolutely doable above Emperor. At least it is on immortal, since i often get the GL using pathfinders to pump up the size of my capital. What also can happen is that when you don't have the option to add citizens from ancient ruins and choose to discover new techs you may find yourself in the position to grab the Hanging Gardens and Petra (i know, it's not always a good choice to build all these wonders but i have a fetish for them:bowdown:).

It's absolutely doable above Emperor. At least it is on immortal, since i often get the GL using pathfinders to pump up the size of my capital. What also can happen is that when you don't have the option to add citizens from ancient ruins and choose to discover new techs you may find yourself in the position to grab the Hanging Gardens and Petra (i know, it's not always a good choice to build all these wonders but i have a fetish for them:bowdown:).

What other settings are you using? I pack my map and am finding it really too hard to find enough ruins.

EDIT: After several--I mean LOTS--of tries I finally got the GL. The key thing wasn't so much boosting the pop with ruins, but lucking into Writing from a goody hut. Unfortunately, this wasn't a desert start so I can't try for Petra too. I did get Mausoleum, but they beat me to Oracle and I'm so not going to get a religion.

What's more, it being Deity, I have no idea how to expand without killing my happiness. I swear, I hate this game.

What other settings are you using? I pack my map and am finding it really too hard to find enough ruins.

EDIT: After several--I mean LOTS--of tries I finally got the GL. The key thing wasn't so much boosting the pop with ruins, but lucking into Writing from a goody hut. Unfortunately, this wasn't a desert start so I can't try for Petra too. I did get Mausoleum, but they beat me to Oracle and I'm so not going to get a religion.

What's more, it being Deity, I have no idea how to expand without killing my happiness. I swear, I hate this game.

I forgot to mention that i play on pangea/large maps.
A little luck is always involved, but usually scouting with 2 pathfinders on that type of maps i can find enough ruins to grant me 20:c5culture:, a quick pantheon plus other 60:c5faith:, a 5/6:c5citizen: capital and at least one free tech).

With a beginning like this i have a granted religion and as i said before good chances on getting the GL plus other early wonders (always stealing a worker and chopping woods).

All of this can be achieved on Immortal, but i have no idea about how it works on Deity (if the AI builds more scouts it can heavily screw this kind of start).

I got Great Library and Parthenon in my last immortal 22civ game, as Indonesia. I think you guys just don't know how to optimize your growth and leverage your advantages to achieve your goal.

It can be done, and it can be done quite frequently in many different circumstances even when playing civs with no inherent bonus toward it, so don't let people telling you it can't be done discourage you from figuring out how to do it.

Spoiler :

i think i have a much better idea.

I developed a new playstyle. my playstyle is economy + science first, then win a cultural victory by the information era by building cultural stuff, i invaded cities that contain great wonders and works. Naturally Thebes is on my list.

It actually worked. I gained cultural victory by the information era as my culture shoots up exponentially on infoaddict during the modern period. I also have the top science and gold output plus the largest military power.
On King.

Carthage btw. This civ is dam OP.

Surely it is worth going all guns for GL, research calendar while building GL, then pick philosophy as free tech early, allowing U to nail oracle and get free policy but also giving that city +2 towards a GS early on. I aim for this every game on immortal, although I play with 3 fewer AI's on huge so perhaps this strategy is a non-starter on standard settings. Petra should always be aimed for in any circumstance where U have 3 or more desert hill tiles.

It's very doable, but not usually a good idea because rushing Writing tends to mean missing any of Temple of Artemis, Hanging Gardens, Stonehenge (if playing a faith strategy), or with the right terrain Petra or the Colossus, since they're along tech paths you're neglecting, and all are highly prized by the AI.

Yeah, there's definitely opportunity cost there. It's a real decision, and not something you want to do just out of habit. But if you're playing a domination strategy or otherwise have a reason to be going wide, the Great Library is still a very good option. The early great scientist points are very helpful, as are the two writing slots so you can keep up in culture without having to focus on playing the culture game.

On emperor playing a builder/wondermonger/warmonger game, I beeline Writing, build scout/monument/shrine/granary (shrine optional if playing religiously) then start Great Library. By the time it finishes, I make sure I have researched calendar to get Philosophy for free to get my one-city National College.

Meanwhile, I mix Tradition and Liberty social policies... start with Tradition opener followed by Liberty opener. Next policy is the free worker in Liberty (by this point I have the techs to improve resources/chop) followed by the +2 production for each city policy to finish the Great Library. From there, I go free settler, decreased culture cost per city/golden age, and finish Liberty with the happiness for connected cities policy by completing the Oracle in my capital. If there is a nearby Petra site, I will have already sent my free settler there (or settler purchased with gold) and use the free great engineer from Liberty finisher to rush Petra in my second city. Depending on the location of this city and production of my empire, I can have this completed within turns 80-100 fairly routinely provided I'm not sniped by the AI.

I got Great Library and Parthenon in my last immortal 22civ game, as Indonesia. I think you guys just don't know how to optimize your growth and leverage your advantages to achieve your goal.

It can be done, and it can be done quite frequently in many different circumstances even when playing civs with no inherent bonus toward it, so don't let people telling you it can't be done discourage you from figuring out how to do it.

Spoiler :

Interesting, I'm surprised you could get enough growth and production early enough with that start to beat 21 AI to the GL on Immortal...What was your build order and which tiles did you work in the early game?

Spoiler :

being stuck at 7 pop on turn 140+ is waaaaaaay not worth it (Im assuming standard speed)

being stuck at 7 pop on turn 140+ is waaaaaaay not worth it (Im assuming standard speed)

Epic, but yeah it's still a pretty high price, but they're also two really great wonders for a cultural victory.

Interesting, I'm surprised you could get enough growth and production early enough with that start to beat 21 AI to the GL on Immortal...What was your build order and which tiles did you work in the early game?

Started pottery/scout, then monument, granary, Great library. For policies I put two into tradition for the +% on wonder construction, then went liberty for the worker with whom I built the pasture, two camps, then the quarries (teching for each in that order after writing). When Great Library completed somewhere in there, I took Drama and Poetry as the free tech and immediately began building Parthenon. The key was the early granery, it afforded the food to be able to work the production tiles and still grow at a nice pace.

Epic, but yeah it's still a pretty high price, but they're also two really great wonders for a cultural victory.

Started pottery/scout, then monument, granary, Great library. For policies I put two into tradition for the +% on wonder construction, then went liberty for the worker with whom I built the pasture, two camps, then the quarries (teching for each in that order after writing). When Great Library completed somewhere in there, I took Drama and Poetry as the free tech and immediately began building Parthenon. The key was the early granery, it afforded the food to be able to work the production tiles and still grow at a nice pace.

Wow--with no sources of food above 2? Did you goody hut some extra population?

My general approach is pretty similar, except I usually build the worker instead of the monument. Hmmm...

On King, I always rush Great Library, and usually succeed. But there's factors which can make it hard.

If your starting location is production poor, you might be out of luck.

If map size is larger, you might have problems.

As others say, I immediately research the key techs, and when building library, may set focus to production ( or you can micro manage assignments.)

As soon as I can build, I do so.

The reason I like it, is, I then build a settler, then Oracle for the free policy, which seems to give me a nice starting boost over AIs. Which is why I also need to ensure Philosophy has been researched before GL completes.

I think I saw it mentioned once, but rushing wonders successfully does involve micro-managing citizens. Typically you will want to prioritize food while researching the tech and then switch to production once you start building it. The AI is not that good about placing your citizens for you. You can also pre-chop some forest down to 1 turn while waiting to get the tech, but this requires great attention, I usually forget lol. A previous version of civ actually had a mod that would stop the worker with 1 turn left.

Top Bottom