Votes: 57 9.4%

Votes: 92 15.2%

Votes: 93 15.3%

Votes: 40 6.6%

Votes: 18 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't played Civ in about 2 years but I'm looking into getting back into playing it as I have more free time now. I've made this poll where you can rate Civ V on a scale of 1-10 1 being the lowest and 10 being the best score. This will help me and any others who still haven't bought Civ V decide if we should. As always comments about why you gave it a rating are welcome. :)

Navy, one vet to another, don't buy civ5.

Nearly half the people on these forums rated the game 5 or below. 48.5%

Only 32.5% or so rated it 5 or below on the 2K Games Forums.

Yeah, there's a pretty big difference.

We of course all why since 2K Games stamps out all dissent about their crappy product. :(

Urm... No. Taking a look at all these scores beside each other:

10: 4.44 vs 2.95
9: 11.85 vs 5.90
8: 20.00 vs 15.87
7: 16.30 vs 16.61
6: 14.81 vs 9.96
5: 12.59 vs 10.70
4: 7.41 vs 9.96
3: 6.67 vs 13.65
2: 5.93 vs 6.64
1: 0.00 vs 7.75

Five of the ten scores are less than 2% apart. As in, 50% of the scores in these polls have less than a 2% differential in their scores - that's negligible, and that's half of the entire poll right there. Of the remaining half, two are less than 5% apart - so that's seven total with fairly small fields of differentiation. Almost your entire figure can be explained by an exodus (here) from 9 to 3 and 1. You basically have three numbers that differ at all significantly. These polls have very similar results, reflected by the fact that their mean scores are less than 10% apart. I'm shocked at the consistency of the polls, but not at all shocked that some users here are trying to make mountains out of mole hills. Smattered between legitimate grievances, I think that's the forum motto these days.

Navy, one vet to another, don't buy civ5.

Bigredjeff and Navy, as one vet to two other vets, some vets like it a lot. Try the demo if there is one, and maybe wait to see how the next patch goes. You may well be one of the many who enjoy the game.

This is a polarizing game, but not admitting that while many hate it, many quite like it as well, is just disingenuous, and a disservice to those who haven't played it.

I gave it a 3. Too many bugs, and I'm actually mad that it got boring. I wanted it not to become boring. But it did. Shame!

Bigredjeff and Navy, as one vet to two other vets, some vets like it a lot. Try the demo if there is one, and maybe wait to see how the next patch goes. You may well be one of the many who enjoy the game.

This is a polarizing game, but not admitting that while many hate it, many quite like it as well, is just disingenuous, and a disservice to those who haven't played it.

Nothing wrong with what he said.

Firaxis and 2K Games admitted as much that this product was not designed for the long time crowd. This game was designed for the casual gamer and the mass market.

This isn't your daddy's Civ anymore.

Whatever the case, when it comes to future Firaxis and 2K Games products: Caveat Emptor.

As far as the polls being similar that's a big steaming heap of crap.

On the 2K Games Forums where almost all dissent is stamped out:

Rated 5 or below - 32.6%

On Civ Fanatics Forums where dissent is generally tolerated

Rated 5 or below - 48.9%

Lol. They are not just about identical. *Shakes head*

What about the money people pay for the game with sid's name on it? Are you telling people to run out and buy the game? Come on man. The grafix are nice, the hexs are nice, single unit combat is nice, but civ5 doesn't represent the rest of the civ series. Maybe the people who like civ5 are the same people that liked civrev. I'm not saying i'm better or they're worse. I will say this, I gave my copy to my 10 year old nephew. He loves it. I'm 30.

I would never recommend civ5 to a civ vet.

As far as the polls being similar that's a big steaming heap of crap.

On the 2K Games Forums where almost all dissent is stamped out:

Rated 5 or below - 32.6%

On Civ Fanatics Forums where dissent is generally tolerated

Rated 5 or below - 48.9%

Lol. They are not just about identical. *Shakes head*

5 of 10 fields are within 2% of each other. 2 of 10 fields are within 5% of each other. That's 70% of these two polls with negligible difference.

I know you want to say "dissent is stamped out" a few more times to make your point, but let's face it... These polls, while not identical, are 70% very, very similar with only three points of differentiation.

And, you know, I'd appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth. I never suggested they were "just about identical." In fact to quote myself, "I'd describe them as 'not completely identical'." As in they're NOT identical. And unlike you, I've actually broken the poll down figure by figure and showed how a significant majority of the fields in the poll are VERY close. But please, say "dissent is stamped out" and quote the same numbers for me a few more times. I really appreciate it.

5 of 10 fields are within 2% of each other. 2 of 10 fields are within 5% of each other. That's 70% of these two polls with negligible difference.

I know you want to say "dissent is stamped out" a few more times to make your point, but let's face it... These polls, while not identical, are 70% very, very similar with only three points of differentiation.

And, you know, I'd appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth. I never suggested they were "just about identical." In fact to quote myself, "I'd describe them as 'not completely identical'." As in they're NOT identical. And unlike you, I've actually broken the poll down figure by figure and showed how a significant majority of the fields in the poll are VERY close. But please, say "dissent is stamped out" and quote the same numbers for me a few more times. I really appreciate it.

Lol. A few scores being similar doesn't matter.

What truly matters is that there is a very big difference (16.3%) between the two Forums on whether the game is mediocre or worse. (Scored 5 or less.)

Of course with your rose coloured glasses you see it another way. I wouldn't have expected any less. :)

Nothing wrong with what he said.

Firaxis and 2K Games admitted as much that this product was not designed for the long time crowd. This game was designed for the casual gamer and the mass market.

This isn't your daddy's Civ anymore.

Whatever the case, when it comes to future Firaxis and 2K Games products: Caveat Emptor.

Wow, more catch-phrases from the titanic wit that came up with "Schafer 5." I'm shocked.

Yes, there IS something wrong with what he said, AND with what you're saying. It is a FACT that a good number of old school civvers around this forum like the game just fine. MY point is that it's a disservice to pretend like it's not polarizing, and rather is either trash or a treasure for an experienced civver. I've been playing Civ since the series came out and I *like* Civ V - and I'm far alone in this grouping. Say "It's not your daddy's Civ any more" as many times as you want and make it out as something that no-one who likes other Civ games will enjoy substantially, and you are outright misrepresenting the way things are. That's a disservice to a potential Civ V'er who may well like the game if given a chance.

It's important potential buyers realize that this game isn't universally accepted by the core audience. It's also important for potential civvers to realize the the game is far from universally disliked by the core Civ audience - and THAT is what you, and little tidbits like Navy's, do not acknowledge. Specifically, that I am a long time civver, I quite enjoy Civ V, and I am not alone. I do NOT appreciate having falsehoods about community reception being told about this game, and that's exactly what you do when someone suggests it's just garbage that no long term civver could enjoy.

Lol. A few scores being similar doesn't matter.

What truly matters is that there is a very big difference (16.3%) between the two Forums on whether the game is mediocre or worse. (Scored 5 or less.)

Of course with your rose coloured glasses you see it another way. I wouldn't have expected any less. :)

"A few scores"? Try 70%. If you can't even describe a significant majority as anything but "a few scores," don't even open your mouth about tinted glasses to me. Please come back when you intend to conduct yourself with some level of intellectual honesty please.

What about the money people pay for the game with sid's name on it? Are you telling people to run out and buy the game? Come on man. The grafix are nice, the hexs are nice, single unit combat is nice, but civ5 doesn't represent the rest of the civ series. Maybe the people who like civ5 are the same people that liked civrev. I'm not saying i'm better or they're worse. I will say this, I gave my copy to my 10 year old nephew. He loves it. I'm 30.

I would never recommend civ5 to a civ vet.

No, I'm NOT telling people to run out and buy the game. I'm trying to make it clear - this game is POLARIZING. A lot of Civ vets liked, it, and a lot hated it. I'd strongly suggest that a potential buyer take a step back, play the demo (if there is one), and if there is no demo, do some reading, pay attention to what's being said in the strategy and tips forum more than here, and try and get a feel for whether the positives about the game are ones that will appeal to them.

I will NOT give it a clear yes or no like you are, because I'm more than happy to admit that it's a love it or hate it game, and I'd like to see the people who will love it get it, and the people who won't not get it, rather than pigeonhole them based on how I feel about the game. Bottom line, you may be telling a guy who would love the game not to get it. I'll tell him to hang around the strategy and tips forum, ask some questions, and see what HE thinks when all is said and done. Heck, go onto youtube and watch some videos of people playing. There are plenty of resources.

Wow, more catch-phrases from the titanic wit that came up with "Schafer 5." I'm shocked.

Yes, there IS something wrong with what he said, AND with what you're saying. It is a FACT that a good number of old school civvers around this forum like the game just fine. MY point is that it's a disservice to pretend like it's not polarizing, and rather is either trash or a treasure for an experienced civver. I've been playing Civ since the series came out and I *like* Civ V - and I'm far alone in this grouping. Say "It's not your daddy's Civ any more" as many times as you want and make it out as something that no-one who likes other Civ games will enjoy substantially, and you are outright misrepresenting the way things are. That's a disservice to a potential Civ V'er who may well like the game if given a chance.

It's important potential buyers realize that this game isn't universally accepted by the core audience. It's also important for potential civvers to realize the the game is far from universally disliked by the core Civ audience - and THAT is what you, and little tidbits like Navy's, do not acknowledge. Specifically, that I am a long time civver, I quite enjoy Civ V, and I am not alone. I do NOT appreciate having falsehoods about community reception being told about this game, and that's exactly what you do when someone suggests it's just garbage that no long term civver could enjoy.

If you are willing to settle for far less then loyal, long time Civ fans deserve then that's your choice. Do realize though that settling for an inferior product ensures that we'll get more of the same in the future. :(

People who are not putting up with this crap are doing this community a service. People who settle for far less then we deserve are doing rather the opposite.

All 2K Games and Firaxis look at is $$$. If you reward them in the future by buying DLC, expansions and recommend this substandard game to friends then you will vindicate their decision to water down and dilute our Civ experience.

We have a responsibility to each other here. I politely ask you to reconsider your stance on the game. :)

chill dude

I'm sorry, but Thorm has a pretty long history of loading posts up with empty catch phrases like "This isn't your daddy's Civ anymore." What does that mean? Plenty of old civvers like it, so who's "daddy" are we talking about? It's a polarizing game. I do not appreciate people who try and present a grey area in terms of absolutes.
As for the whole "Schafer 5" thing just reeks of some soundbyte laden political campaign - designed to get people who don't fully consider the issues worked into a fervor. I don't much appreciate that type of presentation.

No, I'm NOT telling people to run out and buy the game. I'm trying to make it clear - this game is POLARIZING. A lot of Civ vets liked, it, and a lot hated it.

Indeed.

The fact that it is an extemely polarizing product it a very bad sign for me.

If you are willing to settle for far less then loyal, long time Civ fans deserve then that's your choice. Do realize though that settling for an inferior product ensures that we'll get more of the same in the future. :(

People who are not putting up with this crap are doing this community a service. People who settle for far less then we deserve are doing rather the opposite.

All 2K Games and Firaxis look at is $$$. If you reward them in the future by buying DLC, expansions and recommend this substandard game to friends then you will vindicate their decision to water down and dilute our Civ experience.

We have a responsibility to each other here. I politely ask you to reconsider your stance on the game. :)

Is there a bone in your head that prevents you from understanding that some of us LIKE THE GAME? I do NOT appreciate the bugs, but frankly, I didn't appreciate them in Civ IV either, and I got used to wrestling that freaking thing into having functional multiplayer with every new patch. Maybe I've learned to settle for a buggy game, and maybe that's bad - but, I see things improving, so I'm willing to live with it.

Moderator Action: "bone in your head" remark is inappropriate.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

But this isn't about bugs. This is in my eyes - and please, listen to this and don't just gloss it over - a good product because it's a game I've been having fun with for months now. I enjoy this game.

My stance on the game is that I enjoy it. Do you want me to try and convince myself that I in fact hate it? I politely request that you have some minor level of respect for the long time civvers who are enjoying the game, and not pretending like we don't exist. Think you can do that for me? If so, I'll try real hard to convince myself that I *really* hate the game even as I'm enjoying it, ok?

I'm sorry, but Thorm has a pretty long history of loading posts up with empty catch phrases like "This isn't your daddy's Civ anymore." What does that mean? Plenty of old civvers like it, so who's "daddy" are we talking about? It's a polarizing game. I do not appreciate people who try and present a grey area in terms of absolutes.
As for the whole "Schafer 5" thing just reeks of some soundbyte laden political campaign - designed to get people who don't fully consider the issues worked into a fervor. I don't much appreciate that type of presentation.

For your information, it's "Shafer". :)

Indeed.

The fact that it is an extemely polarizing product it a very bad sign for me.

You know, that might be the case, and I do regret that it seems to have driven off a portion of the audience. I regret even more than it has left a portion of the audience sitting in here every day reminding us again and again and again about how much they hate it, but that's beside the point...

That doesn't change a fact though - a lot of civvers, new and old, enjoy Civ V. Any potential buyer might well enjoy it too. It's a shame to scare people away from a game just because you didn't like it. I despise the MGS series, but I recognize that it really works for some people... I think anyone who buys Civ V should try and be as informed a buyer as possible prior to picking it up because it is a risky buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom