Wonders of the Ancient World deity walkthrough?

Genghis_Sean

High School English teacher
Anybody know where I can find one? I tried playing it late on deity, but I was drunk, so it was a bad combination. Still, wonders were being completed before they were even unlocked for me, so I'm wondering how this is done. Anybody know of a youtube walkthrough or strategy guide?

On diety the AI starts with several techs you don't have along with other units right off the bat.

You still have good chance on military wonders. If AI don't go war often, they don't get XPs needed for wonders
With great start(rerolled several times) I was able to build 4 wonders (2 cultural/2 military) w/ Egypt.

My strat was get Honor opener to handle endless barbs, used some chariot archers.
After that I found 4 cities, I built military wonder in city with lower production, and cultural in high production.
To get the great lighthouse I had to DOW CS to farm XP.

I'm really having a tough time with this despite trying every trick in the book. Even by cheesing and loading/reloading for prime camp gains, even selling Open Borders for 50g to each civ, even selling excess resources for 240 gold, I wasn't able to build a single wonder. My production is crap as Egypt, and that sets me back in a crippling hole. I bought my 1st settler and sent him 20 spaces away to a set of mountains, but the game's over by then. By the time I got a war chariot out and started killing, the Statue of Zeus was complete. Do you move at the outset to get the hill in initial range? I hate wasting a turn, but that might help, I suppose. As it is, I couldn't do anything.

I played quite long ago and I don't remember details, but my production city was on somewhere sinai penninsula.

And... I failed many times too.

I played Egypt on Deity in order to unlock the achievement (based on difficulty level).

One of the nice things about Egypt in this scenario is that you are distant enough from the other AI's that they can't realistically attack you, plus since you are so far from them you have better diplomatic relations with them.

It is challenging. I did a lot of rerolling to get the perfect start.

In order to address the lack of production, I settled east on the hills near the coast. Also rerolled until there was Marble on that spot (to give me the instant 15% Wonder bonus).

Thanks to the settled Marble, I actually did manage to beat the Persians to the Oracle. In fact, I was able to build all the wonders but the two technology ones (but I was actually pretty close to getting those). Being able to keep tabs on the other civs with the Oracle was really nice (wish this was a wonder in the standard game). Popping the Great General for Honor -> Warrior Code (which eventually leads you to Military Tradition) is nice for accessing the Oracle early.

- As mentioned, settling on a hill with Marble helped me get the Oracle.

- Egypt's innate traits helped me get the cultural wonders fairly early (Pyramids, then Mausoleum).

- Any gold that you have should be traded to AI's for GPT, since only cumulative GPT counts for unlocking the Temple of Artemis / Colossus.

- DoW a city state and keep getting bombarded in order to rack up XP. If you're falling behind, Honor -> Military Tradition can help speed it up. As long as the AI's aren't massively warring with each other, you can beat them to the military wonders (Statue / Lighthouse).

Good luck!

I'm really having a tough time with this despite trying every trick in the book. Even by cheesing and loading/reloading for prime camp gains, even selling Open Borders for 50g to each civ, even selling excess resources for 240 gold, I wasn't able to build a single wonder. My production is crap as Egypt, and that sets me back in a crippling hole. I bought my 1st settler and sent him 20 spaces away to a set of mountains, but the game's over by then. By the time I got a war chariot out and started killing, the Statue of Zeus was complete. Do you move at the outset to get the hill in initial range? I hate wasting a turn, but that might help, I suppose. As it is, I couldn't do anything.
No, do not sell Open Borders or luxuries for lump sum gold (which is what you would do in a normal game). In this scenario, you want GPT instead.

You don't get the XP from conquering (well you can but that might come too late). Park an early unit (preferably Warrior/Spearman) within bombardment range and Fortify. You will be getting 2 XP (3 with Military Tradition) a turn. Ideally, you should select a city state that is NOT on a hill, and station your unit two tiles away with a hill in between. This is so you get bombarded by the city but you are *not* in sight range of any ranged units in the city.

As mentioned, in the game that I won I spent 2(?) turns moving east to settle on the coastal hill.

If you are okay being "cheesy," reroll until you get the start you want. Also, you can periodically save/reload when visiting the Oracle to keep abreast of your competition.

I played Egypt on Deity in order to unlock the achievement (based on difficulty level).

It is challenging. I did a lot of rerolling to get the perfect start.

In order to address the lack of production, I settled east on the hills near the coast. Also rerolled until there was Marble on that spot (to give me the instant 15% Wonder bonus).

Thanks to the settled Marble, I actually did manage to beat the Persians to the Oracle. In fact, I was able to build all the wonders but the two technology ones (but I was actually pretty close to getting those). Being able to keep tabs on the other civs with the Oracle was really nice (wish this was a wonder in the standard game). Popping the Great General for Honor -> Warrior Code (which eventually leads you to Military Tradition) is nice for accessing the Oracle early.

Good luck!

I'll take another look, but I recall the hills to the east being entirely surrounded by desert, which would hardly make an effective city spot.

If you got the Oracle first, I don't understand how you founded new cities or built any troops. I've been going scout, scout, monument, Oracle and failed to get it on a marble start, though I didn't play as Egypt. You didn't expand until after the Oracle was built? This is tough. I've failed multiple times. Last time as Darius on a Marble start, I got the oracle and both military wonders, but Egypt built 4 or 5 other wonders, so it didn't matter.

I'll take another look, but I recall the hills to the east being entirely surrounded by desert, which would hardly make an effective city spot.
Yes that is true. It is pretty food poor in the immediate vicinity (mainly Hills and Deserts). If you are lucky you may find some Sheep in the hills or some Fish/Whales in the coast.

However, you do have access to some Flood Plains tiles that are just 2 or 3 tiles away. If you are lucky, they may even contain Wheat or luxuries (like Sugar).

If you got the Oracle first, I don't understand how you founded new cities or built any troops. I've been going scout, scout, monument, Oracle and failed to get it on a marble start, though I didn't play as Egypt. You didn't expand until after the Oracle was built? This is tough. I've failed multiple times. Last time as Darius on a Marble start, I got the oracle and both military wonders, but Egypt built 4 or 5 other wonders, so it didn't matter.
Did you settle on the Marble? Or did you wait until Masonry so you can Quarry it?

Simply settling on Mable wasn't enough. I also needed to go straight for Tradition -> Aristocracy in order to beat the Persians to it.

IIRC, I think I might have gotten my Monument from Legalism.

I did build at least two Scouts and then the Oracle.

No, you don't need much of a military. A couple of units to eventually fend off barbarians (but that can wait awhile). As I mentioned, Egypt is far enough away from the other civs that you are unlikely to be attacked for a long time (if ever). I spent the game Friendly with everyone and no one ever attacked me.

I didn't need to expand much either. I was at one or two cities for much of the game (though I eventually went to three or four due to free Legalism monuments). In this scenario you don't need to expand too much (the main benefit is getting access to more luxuries to trade).

The special victory points for this scenario (building wonders) are so large that any "normal" points for city building pale in comparison (it's also like this in Into the Renaissance). I find it is much better to focus on your capital and building lots of wonders, even at the expense of expanding.

Did you settle on the Marble? Or did you wait until Masonry so you can Quarry it?

Simply settling on Mable wasn't enough. I also needed to go straight for Tradition -> Aristocracy in order to beat the Persians to it.

I noticed something when I grabbed Aristocracy. It didn't change my build time for the Oracle. I notice it says that you get +15% wonder production and +1 happiness for every 10 population. Surely that doesn't mean the city needs to be size 10 in order to gain the production bonus, does it?

I noticed something when I grabbed Aristocracy. It didn't change my build time for the Oracle. I notice it says that you get +15% wonder production and +1 happiness for every 10 population. Surely that doesn't mean the city needs to be size 10 in order to gain the production bonus, does it?
If you mean "build time" in terms of "number of turns needed," then it really depends on where you are in the production process and how much base production you are producing anyway. It is possibly that the +15% might not always save you a turn (i.e. if you are 2 turns away, getting a +15% now won't necessarily bring it down to 1 turn). The turn change will be most noticeable for more expensive wonders which you haven't started at all (more turns with which the +15% takes effect).

You don't need a minimum size for the Wonder bonus. If you go into your city screen and highlight the production amount, it should show you all the calculations.

If you mean "build time" in terms of "number of turns needed," then it really depends on where you are in the production process and how much base production you are producing anyway. It is possibly that the +15% might not always save you a turn (i.e. if you are 2 turns away, getting a +15% now won't necessarily bring it down to 1 turn). The turn change will be most noticeable for more expensive wonders which you haven't started at all (more turns with which the +15% takes effect).

You don't need a minimum size for the Wonder bonus. If you go into your city screen and highlight the production amount, it should show you all the calculations.

I'll look, but it was at 18 turns and didn't have any effect. 15% production should have definitely reduced it by several turns.

Edit: I was wrong. It cut it to 16 turns. My mistake. Thanks.

I just beat it on Deity, and it wasn't that bad. I got 4 of the wonders, and just lucked into each of them sharing the rest. Played on Historical with Egypt. I tried the timing a couple times, but I couldn't manage to get two scouts out and get oracle. So just went 1 scout to Oracle.

What really sucks about this, is that it doesn't give you the achievements for beating it at the 4 other difficulties..... Which is super dumb. Although I guess some of the achievements do say "emperor or higher" difficulty, which these dont.

You don't have to build all the wonders yourself, it is a reasonable startegy to concentrate on a strong military, ok tech, and just go take them from the other Civs.

I finally beat this w/ Egypt on Deity, historical. After many tries, this seemed the optimum strategy:

First, starting position. Go east and a bit south to the coast. Having a coastal city for the last monument you will get is incredibly important. The Med. Coastline to the north is far too short of production to ensure you can knock it out in a reasonable amount of time after unlocking it. I finally had a start with a marble hill on the coast. That was optimal. Don't waste your time with sub-prime starts. You'll never get the pyramids, even if you snag oracle. I'll say take a silver/gold on the coast, but only if marble is nearby.

After many attempts at using a marble on the hills one away from the coast, I realized my best production city, my capital, did not permit me to build coastal monuments. I made several attempt at building it from a second city on the Med. shore and other attempts from the shore to the south of the starting point, but the northern city will never have adequate production for monuments. The southern coast approach is far superior: you have far more production in that city available, usually including gold/silver/marble in the hills. Still, that city will be unlikely to be up to anything near as good as finishing the Great light house.

Do not bother with scouts. Monument then Oracle. It's OK to build Oracle while city is still at 1 w/ max production. Use your warrior to circle the map.

After oracle you have some turns to kick out a few units to find the rest of the Africa ruins. You can afford to delay because the other civs take some time to get more than a single scout down there. Don't open borders (although I think i traded the very first offer for 50g, so that the it would end by the time it mattered).

Order of Culture purchases: Tradition, Aristocracy, Honor, legalism, landed elite, Warrior Code, Military Tradition

build a worker between oracle and pyramids if you don't pick one up from the barbarians.

Build: Oracle, Pyramids, Zeus, and Lighthouse the second they become available on max production. All in your capital.

As soon as pyramids are complete, or soon as practical thereafter, build 1 settler to settle to the east of the mouth of the nile. Landed Elite and a granary are going to provide plenty of food while you run your city on max prod. with plenty of mined hills around, so kick out some archers then war chariots, with one or two spearman (if you are lucky, you will have your original warrior upgraded to spearman with two levels added after a big circle across africa).

From that city, launch an assault on the city state. Do not bother trying to take it. You just want to build experience to unlock zeus and great lighthouse. Once my second great general popped, my first one built a citadel one space away from the city state. Rotate your guys around to keep them alive at all costs. I had about 4 archers, three chariots, and one spearman, in between my city and the city state.

I had a granary, stoneworks, and a barracks plus the monuments in my capital (and a library, but that came pretty late.)

The other civs are unlikely to attack you before you make the turn toward the city state, which is the same direction they are coming from anyway. They seem less likely to DOW you once you DOW the city state, but that is pure speculation on my part, but based on my experience through several approaches trying to befriend or attack that city.

I've been able to get both oracle and pyramids on several different approaches, but this limited military endgame is the only one that got me the 4th monument. I'm not sure how people are claiming to be taking the other civs monuments (with Egypt), but i've never favored military approaches in civ, so i recognize that isn't my specialty. It seems to me the other civs' monument cities are simply too far away to get to with a sufficiently upgraded and balanced force.

Hope this is helpful to someone as frustrated with this as I was. This and Deity Khan have been the most challenging for me.

a worker clearing forest helps too. Stonehenge, Temple of Artemis, Great Lighthouse can be completed consistently on Deity if I commit to them. Pyramid and Oracle can be obtained even if you neglect them for several turns. I find it hard to get Hanging Gardens and Great Library....

I finally beat this w/ Egypt on Deity, historical. After many tries, this seemed the optimum strategy:

First, starting position. Go east and a bit south to the coast. Having a coastal city for the last monument you will get is incredibly important. The Med. Coastline to the north is far too short of production to ensure you can knock it out in a reasonable amount of time after unlocking it. I finally had a start with a marble hill on the coast. That was optimal. Don't waste your time with sub-prime starts. You'll never get the pyramids, even if you snag oracle. I'll say take a silver/gold on the coast, but only if marble is nearby.

After many attempts at using a marble on the hills one away from the coast, I realized my best production city, my capital, did not permit me to build coastal monuments. I made several attempt at building it from a second city on the Med. shore and other attempts from the shore to the south of the starting point, but the northern city will never have adequate production for monuments. The southern coast approach is far superior: you have far more production in that city available, usually including gold/silver/marble in the hills. Still, that city will be unlikely to be up to anything near as good as finishing the Great light house.

Do not bother with scouts. Monument then Oracle. It's OK to build Oracle while city is still at 1 w/ max production. Use your warrior to circle the map.

After oracle you have some turns to kick out a few units to find the rest of the Africa ruins. You can afford to delay because the other civs take some time to get more than a single scout down there. Don't open borders (although I think i traded the very first offer for 50g, so that the it would end by the time it mattered).

Order of Culture purchases: Tradition, Aristocracy, Honor, legalism, landed elite, Warrior Code, Military Tradition

build a worker between oracle and pyramids if you don't pick one up from the barbarians.

Build: Oracle, Pyramids, Zeus, and Lighthouse the second they become available on max production. All in your capital.

As soon as pyramids are complete, or soon as practical thereafter, build 1 settler to settle to the east of the mouth of the nile. Landed Elite and a granary are going to provide plenty of food while you run your city on max prod. with plenty of mined hills around, so kick out some archers then war chariots, with one or two spearman (if you are lucky, you will have your original warrior upgraded to spearman with two levels added after a big circle across africa).

From that city, launch an assault on the city state. Do not bother trying to take it. You just want to build experience to unlock zeus and great lighthouse. Once my second great general popped, my first one built a citadel one space away from the city state. Rotate your guys around to keep them alive at all costs. I had about 4 archers, three chariots, and one spearman, in between my city and the city state.

I had a granary, stoneworks, and a barracks plus the monuments in my capital (and a library, but that came pretty late.)

The other civs are unlikely to attack you before you make the turn toward the city state, which is the same direction they are coming from anyway. They seem less likely to DOW you once you DOW the city state, but that is pure speculation on my part, but based on my experience through several approaches trying to befriend or attack that city.

I've been able to get both oracle and pyramids on several different approaches, but this limited military endgame is the only one that got me the 4th monument. I'm not sure how people are claiming to be taking the other civs monuments (with Egypt), but i've never favored military approaches in civ, so i recognize that isn't my specialty. It seems to me the other civs' monument cities are simply too far away to get to with a sufficiently upgraded and balanced force.

Hope this is helpful to someone as frustrated with this as I was. This and Deity Khan have been the most challenging for me.

Hey I just want to give everyone a shout out ESPECIALLY murrayjdpe! For helping me beat this on Deity as Ramesses II. (I was so close to giving up entirely because this scenario is the very definition of masochism)

Anyways I did everything you suggested to do (Except I started with Stone for the +1 production and Gold instead of Marble) up until the point where I built the Oracle and the Pyramids (Used a Great General to view everyones progress and Gilgamesh beat me to the Temple of Artemis -.-) However I reloaded before using my GG and I lost the Statue of Zeus wonder to Persia. This frustrated me beyond my breaking point until suddenly I hatched an idea!

What I did differently to ensure my victory was to trade Persia my city of Thebes which was settled a tiny bit below Memphis in the corner where he was too far away to protect it and once he accepted the city I bombarded it! However instead of taking it back I created an army of 6 Archers, 3 Spearmen, 2 Chariot Horses and 2 Warriors (To defend my city against barbarians and other foreign invaders) and completely surrounded his (my) city as I bombarded him with a swarm of long ranged attacks with the Spearmen in the front lines tanking attacks which I repeated for about 7 turns until I accumulated enough XP to be able to build the Great Lighthouse wonder and as a bonus since we were at war he focused his efforts on building soldiers instead of the wonder as I sacked the city and reclaimed it.

I achieved this victory by turn 128 and having built 3 wonders, Gilgamesh had 2, Darius I had 2, Muwatallis had 2, and Alexander had nothing.

So once again I give you my gratitude for helping me achieve this :)

Now I need a guide for Immortal, Emperor, and King. (I'm assuming Prince is a piece of cake)

Let me know what you guys think of my city strategy because it wouldnt have all been possible without murray's help.

If that worked for deity it will surely work for lower difficulties.

Ohh I'm more than sure it will work on lower difficulties, but Egypt is becoming extremely boring for me :/ I need a Sumer, Hittites, Persia, or even Greece Immortal strategy so I can knock out two or three more achievements at once like I did with my last game. Do you have any advice for Immortal with other Civs?

Top Bottom