Building best units at best time?

Prozac1964

Warlord
Hi to all. I'm currently playing Mongolia on warlord for a domination victory. I'm wondering when is the best time to build certain units. For instance, I started building military units right after I established my basic four cities. I have about 7 units in the capital and 4 to 5 in my other cities. After I felt I could protect my cities, I switched to building great wonders, wonders and buildings as well as caravans. This move bumped my score way up. I have roughly 850 and the next closest civ is Poland with 600.

My thinking is if I build up faith, culture, food, gold and especially production to a strong amount I can return to building military units. Now I'm sure this makes me a little bit of a sleeper civ, but if I build a very powerful military - or a I should say - a more powerful military, should I be able to go to war with the civs at around turn 250 or will I get burned doing this?

So essentially I would be starting out peaceful then go into full destruction mode. So building military units, then buildings and wonders, then back to military. Is this a good or a bad way to time unit construction, and is the strategy good overall or bad.

Thanks for any help and advice. :)

What speed are you playing on? Turn 250 is really late to start warring, especially for the Mongols.
For comparison, on standard speed continents, the Huns can clear their continent by turn 100-120. In general, 4-6 composites and 2-3 warriors are enough to take out another civ or two early

Just build a bunch of chariots then upgrade them to keshiks and kill everything.

For most European civs it's good to build up and destroy later. But just like the real mongols. The majority of your actual cities should be ones you conquered. I tend to only have my capital and possibly a second civ before I start warring.

I only build things that help build my economy or military. I build tRade routespecially for economy and some buildings for growth in my cap.

I tend to not worry about defense too much as the mongols because I tend to have by far the largest military early, when most are still focused on turtling. To avoid getting attacked I think strategically. I tend to attack another aggressive civ before he comes for me. If I'm up against Atilla and Korea, I tend to assume Korea isn't going to risk angering me so early. I sit and wait til I learn wheels and make 4 to 6 chariots. And 2 or 3 melee unit's and go kill my first civ. To mitigate early war monger problems I try to go for capitals fast so it isn't a protracted war. If the terrain is flat. I can blow though an initial civ.

By the time I get to the middle of victim #2's war. It comes time for my chariots to upgrade to keshiks. At this point the rest of the continent doesn't stand a chance.

Ps. With the patch discounting the war monger penalty and halfing the penalty against city states, it would be a good idea to build chariots and a melee or 2 and take a juicy city state and make that your second city. Now you have experienced chariot group and you have strength advantage against city states. This should give you time and strength to take down a real civ now. I haven't tested it out but civs should be more lenient on you for sacking 1 city state.

Top Bottom