Real power of Hwach'a

vomp1100

Chieftain
Hwach'a.jpg

If Hwach'a is upgraded from Trebuchet.......

It seems Korean must be OP

Hwacha is a souped up crossbow, not a souped up trebuchet.

It excels in city defense and turtling, but it is a lot weaker attacking cities.

Apperently it is not :p

Sorry I completely missed that it was retaining a 200% city attack bonus, thats obviously a bug.

This needs to be added to the list of balance changes that need to be implemented.

Should I make a thread where people can share what balance changes they think should be needed? It seems like this expansion is sorely unbalanced right now. O_O

Enjoy it while you can, Hwa'Cha and Battering Ram both will be nerfed/fixed.

Still, GnK is much better balance in most respects with Wonders/SPs. I found myself excited to open Commerce, of all things.

I just tested this and it's confirmed. I shot my upgraded hwach'a against a defense 15 city and it completely removed all city HP in a single shot. I thought the battering ram was bad, this bug deserves to be patched immediately.

Enjoy it while you can, Hwa'Cha and Battering Ram both will be nerfed/fixed.

The battering ram is just about perfectly balanced, but if this change has been made to the Hwach'a it definitely needs fixing (indeed I just started a game as Korea precisely to try out a civ that hasn't had any changes made with the expansion, to see how it interacts with the new features). I can imagine they might think it needs something to make up for the fact that the lack of an iron requirement is no longer a boost to the Hwach'a, but city attack is inappropriate and 200% bonus is very obviously over the top.

What does the Civopedia entry say for the Hwach'a's stats now?

Still, GnK is much better balance in most respects with Wonders/SPs. I found myself excited to open Commerce, of all things.

I usually start a second policy branch before unlocking Rationalism, so I quite often go Commerce unless playing CS-heavy. As of G&K, city-states are no longer an optional extra and commerce isn't useful for keeping them onside, so Patronage is a serious alternative.

No, It's not a bug or like that.

Did you have changed the Pikeman to the Rifleman in CiV?
If you had upgraded the Pikeman, you would have seen the Rifleman which has anti-mounted promotion.
But it is obvious that G&K's Hwach'a is OP

Ancient

Battering ram
Strength 10
Vs Cities (300%) 10 * (1 + 300/100)= 40
----------------------------------------
Classical

Catapult
Ranged Strength 8
Vs Cities (200%) 8 * (1 + 200/100) = 24
-----------------------------------------
Medieval

Trebuchet
Ranged Srength 14
Vs Cities (200%) 14 * (1 + 200/100) = 42

Hwach'a
Ranged Strength 26
Vs Cities (200%) 26 * (1 + 200/100)= 78 (stronger than cannon ? probably a bug)
Without the 200% bonus 26 vs cities ?!

If its not a bug - Hwach'a's should upgrade directly to artilery similary how battering ram skips catapults that are inferior ....
----------------------------------------
Renaissance

Cannon
Ranged Strength 20
Vs Cities (200%) 20 * (1+200/100) = 60
-----------------------------------------

Top Bottom