How do you rate Civ V after the first 4 weeks?

How do you rate Civ V?

• A = Excellent

Votes: 76 10.0%
  • B = Good

Votes: 223 29.2%
  • C = Average

Votes: 155 20.3%
  • D = Below par

Votes: 203 26.6%
  • F = Total failure

Votes: 106 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
F: total failure. i haven't touched the game for few weeks now and don't plan to. just suck it up and get over wasting my money on this... they even got me to pay extra for babylon and this is what i get...

I think it's hilarious that people who gave it a D are also posting on the formus and have already played 80+ hours. It's kinda funny that somoene would play a "D" level game that much for that long.

And let me guess, those who haven't played it that long are not eligible to rate the game in the first place so only meaningful votes are the A's and B's :mischief:

And let me guess, those who haven't played it that long are not eligible to rate the game in the first place so only meaningful votes are the A's and B's :mischief:

I'm pretty sure he didn't say that. He said he thinks it's funny people would play 80 hours of a game they gave a D. That doesn't have anything to do with not being eligible to rate the game if you haven't played 80 hours. Where did you even get that?

Let me guess, you think civ 3 is a lot better than civ 5.

I don't actually think that, that statement is an example of putting words in someone else's mouth that have nothing to do with what they were saying.

Anyways, I fall into the "C" category currently, but I'm very hopeful that this game will prove to be a "diamond in the rough," as the saying goes. Mods ahoy! Can't wait. Maybe even some good patches!

Look at the poll results as of today, Oct 18, 2010, at 4:36 PM EDT. The largest single category in terms of percentage is "B" = Good. Its true for both the CivFanatics Forum and the 2K Games Forum.

I voted "A." A lot of folks said it was very bad but still the largest voting block was "B."

Just watch how that changes after the patch is released.

It was a comment about how people choose to spend their time, not whether they have a right to air their opinions.

Look at the poll results as of today, Oct 18, 2010, at 4:36 PM EDT. The largest single category in terms of percentage is "B" = Good. Its true for both the CivFanatics Forum and the 2K Games Forum.

I voted "A." A lot of folks said it was very bad but still the largest voting block was "B."

Not by much - and I think 40% rating it D or F ought to be alarming and cannot be waved away as people afraid of change.... but all that said, the validity of self-selecting polls is nonexistent. In self-selecting sample - a lot of 'Fs' are probably Cs or Ds, but people want to impose a "guilty" verdict on the game, while I imagine the inverse is true -- a lot of A's and B's might more accurately be Cs, but there's a desire to puff it up.

Like I said, though -- no interest in arguing about thread poll numbers and whether they have any value.

So I guess, I'll just say ignore this post.... or go with the old Thoreau-ian "I contradict myself? Very well, I contradict myself, I am vast; I contain multitudes".

I'm a lot more interested in the content of the meaningful threads about aspects than the threads that attempt to pronounce sentence based on self-sampled polls.

Not so good in math, don't?

109+36=145

96+52=148

Not counting 80 avarage votes that are not so positive...

The game is a B. It's not an A because it has bugs that can make the experience unsatisfactory and the endings are bland. Make endings something I want to see and squash some of the bugs and it's an A.

If you're not satisfied with the core concepts of the game you're probably not satisfied with the core concepts of the Civ franchise.

If you're not satisfied with the core concepts of the game you're probably not satisfied with the core concepts of the Civ franchise.

Well, if we're going to pull out the broad brushes -- I would say that if you're satisfied with the core concepts of V, you probably weren't familiar with and/or appreciative of the core concepts of the Civ franchise :)

Based on the fact that I played the game for 100 hours already, and apart from a few moments where I felt like `next turning`, I enjoyed most of those hours.

Because it lacks the depth of civ2 (which was the last civ I really played before taking this one), I only rate it B

The poor AI, well yeah, but I´ve never been a warmonger. I only defend myself while striving for a peacefull victory, or I just nuke the hell out of the enemy in the final 20 turns for the domination achievement.

The B is more of a B- , rather than a B+ because to me it seems to lack all the immersion and atmosphere I felt when playing civ 2. It now feels more like waiting for bars to fill up; tech, culture... and nice little things like advisors, wonder movies, throne room all have dissappeared, or replaced for the worse.

And yes, despite all that, when I enjoy 100 hours of playing a game, it deserves a B. ;)

I gave it a "B". It was the presentation that kept it from getting an "A". While I don't miss the wonder movies, the victory endings don't make me feel very rewarded for playing this game for multiple hours.

I hesitated between A and B. I'd consider myself a semi-hardcore gamer and as far as CIV goes, it's probably the same I have played the most over my life starting with CIV3 and all releases/expansions since then.

To me, CIV4 was a big drawback from CIV3 but in time, with patches and expansions, it turned out to be at least as good, perhaps better. Can't say I remember all the Civ3 vs Civ4 details, but I do remember having more fun playing Civ3 than Civ4 for some reason.

As far as CIV5 goes, it clearly lacks A LOT of stuff I have come to take for granted in previous Civ games but then again I feel it's a very promising base. They really need to add some beef to the bones though, it's just way too stripped, much worse than CIV4 was vs CIV3 especially w/ expansions.

As far as the methods used by some here to dominate the game and call them flaws, I dunno... I guess I'm not hardcore enough, I'm playing the game for what it is and I'm enjoying it. I do agree the AI is overly aggressive, just yesterday I tried playing it cool and keep wars to a minimum but man, it's just impossible to not take part without loosing. The AI fights everyone around him like there's no tomorrow even if domination victory is disabled and if you keep out of it, you end up alone vs a mega nation that wants to crush you. They could tone it down a bit...

I voted A, but consider it a B+.

The game is a B. It's not an A because it has bugs that can make the experience unsatisfactory and the endings are bland. Make endings something I want to see and squash some of the bugs and it's an A.

It's possible also that you don't understand the core concept of Civ Franchise....

Once again the opinions of people liking and hating the game is still divided.

A = Excellent 38
B = Good 116
Combined total of -154

D = Below par 98
F = Total failure 52
Combined total of - 150

Of course there is a margin of error that whomever voted excellent, there is a likelihood of all 38 of them are employees of Firaxis, and 2K games. I would say half of the people who had voted good are either trolls or casual gamers. :D

Civ 5 is Civ for beginners. Sorry to say it, but its the most dumbed down version ever made. Original Civ was more involved. This is nothing more than the Xbox version on a PC. No complexity, no balance, no nothing. Half the game is spent right clicking on unnecessary spam mesages about crap you dont care about right before clicking next turn. I really feel like this is a revamp of the title to bring in younger players (and by younger I mean children, not young teens - young teens are far too game savy). Disclaimer: I am 40.

I give it a d+, with the plus for graphics and a potentially interesting combat system. Other than that, I find the original SIMcity to be more engaging and complex.

I have 4 other friends who bought the game. We all agree. There is no way in hell this game was every honestly beta tested.

This game is headed for an early APBesque grave based on what the developers think needs patching.........

What really kills me is that I have been salivating at the mouth while waiting for this game for YEARS......and...................................................*grown man cries:cry:

As of now, I give it what it earns... an "A".

I gave 'er a C. The Game play opens nice but the game just falls apart during the industrial age as far as my "fun" factor is concerned. The hexes are good the no stacking is much better than stacks of doom but the crashes and 5 minute waits on turn changes for all the computations to work out are trying. I like it a lot as far as playability in the early ages.

Top Bottom