What do you miss about/from previous CIV games?

NASAROG

Prince
I really miss 2 things:

1 - multiple leader possibilities per civ.

2 - changing outfits of civ leaders depending on what age you're currently in.

You?

1. War weariness - better that what we have now at stopping protracted wars
2. Colonies - A way to get a resource a long way away without a new city.

The custom palace for fun.
Global view
Atack and defense stats where you can build offensive melee for attacking and defensive spearman for defending, especially citys.
Random events
Vassals and colonials
local map trade, tech trade.
The tech map being more free and complex to choose from. Now its pretty restrictive and shallow. You could really push for certain wonders or units faster by going with a certain branch. I would like in a future civ, the tech-map to be wider with more possibilities before you enter a new age.

Random Events -- I think we have all gotten to the point were Civ V is pretty stale, and a little randomness might just spice things up. Maybe.
Multiple Leaders -- So playing against Russia isn't exactly the same, every game
Customizable Palace -- Just for fun (like alexey86 said)
Ability to relocate the Capital -- Yeah. Why exactly isn't this in the game?

The custom palace for fun.
OMG I totally miss the customizable palace from Civ 1, it was always so exciting to get to add a new section to the palace, and they were beautifully done even back then, so imagine what they could make today.

Other things I miss would be:
- Attack and Defence stats
- Coorporations of some sort (but more customizable than civ4, similar to how they developed religion)

I miss the ability of the ai in civilization 1 that gets new civilizations to regenerate after you kill one off. I guess this has improved with the new liberation ability that allows old civilizations that were conquered be brought back to life.

Pollution - factories, manufactories and large cities when you got to automobile produced it. You could have workers clean up the pollution tiles but pollution also caused global warming which lowered your food production. So you had to balance your production with your ability to produce food.

Pollution - factories, manufactories and large cities when you got to automobile produced it. You could have workers clean up the pollution tiles but pollution also caused global warming which lowered your food production. So you had to balance your production with your ability to produce food.
I also miss polution. It was a good game mechanic. I dont know about global warming, but local polution should return. IT would give workers something to do more or other buildings to counter polution. Lots of polution would lead to unhapiness of course.

where do i start? espionage, i want to be able to station spies to defend ALL my cities. i like the civ v way of deploying them better than having a spy unit you had to move about. spies that are so dumb as to be caught in transit were not good enough to be made spies in the first place; so civ v way of sending them out is better, but they had way more options in civ iv.

some unit stacking especially in cities and forts. i dont know of military bases or forts that occupy a tile where only one unit will fit. unless they rename them from units to armies (that would make sense). but i dont think the unlimited stacking in civ iv was better. there should be some limit

politics. i like city states a lot. i hated where in civ iv u could not negotiate with that whole continent of barb civilisation...wait why didnt they ever become a civ ? why dont city states even try to become civs for that matter. or maybe some civs might have internal troubles and split into city states...say if they have been widely separated from the main cluster of cities in their nation, or if the nation itself has been 2 cities surrounded by other civs and unable to expand for 500 years, one city might rebel there could be a civil war option and they could decide if only a few cities to just split, something like yugoslavia did.

diplomacy. theres things i like and dislike about iv and v. some replies in v dont seem to have any effect. chain denouncements seems a bit broken. and the memory of some things in v is too long. its not realpolitik enough. which is not to say those things shouldnt still be remembered, just not so much of a diplo effect for so long. i denounce your haircut and silly clothes option...well alright some sort of pretext for war that involves an actual reason from a list; be it 'you bullied my ally/ CS ally' to 'you threaten the peace of the world and im getting my retaliation in first'

privateers being untraceable (anonymous, not your flag). the way they are now, weaker than the frigate and unable to bombard land either, there's no point building them might as well build frigates. maybe they are better at capturing ships, but if its going to start a war what's the point? the point of real privateers was attacking an enemy by a proxy instead of open warfare! oh and while we at it, more of the naval units were able to bombard land targets in civ iv, that was better.

some random events would be nice. and a mercenary that is like the privateer in civ iv but on land - a raider of cities or capturer of units with no country flag who u can target places with, unlike barbarians.

raging resources option :D

ai able to declare war on you in settler difficulty in civ v would be awesome.

Global View
Circumnavigation bonus
Bonuses for being the first to research a tech
Permanent Alliances
Vassals
Being able to tell the AI which cities to attack etc
In depth information (I have a mac, so no infoaddict)
Wonder Movies
Winner Movie
Baba Yetu!
Forbidden Palace
Local Health
Random Events

These are all things I miss from Civ 4, the only other Civ I've played. I've never seen the appeal of multiple leaders for the same civ. Not really sure what it accomplishes that isn't better accomplished by just having more civs.

I've never seen the appeal of multiple leaders for the same civ. Not really sure what it accomplishes that isn't better accomplished by just having more civs.

It depends on your play style. If you play civ to just beat it and you don't create your own narrative, having more leader options per civ is a waste of resources. Sure, they should allocate them to improve the game (ahem.. AI), but still, it was so much fun in the past, especially with the changing outfits. I see a lot of good points being made, and I can only hope that Civ6 isn't revolutionary live CIV5 was, I want it to be evolutionary. SO much potential.

I miss a few things from the prior versions, but I don't remember. I guess I miss the commerce that grow on city tiles before the whole new trade route thing. I also miss the 3 food lakes from lighthouses that could be obtained easily in civilization 4. Personality, I miss as well. That could be all I missed.

Global view and map trades are the big ones for me. The inability to get a global view REALLY bugged me at first, although I've gotten used to it.

Odds are that Civ VI will be "evolutionary",, that seems to be the pattern (III and V were radical changes, II and IV were elaborations/improvements based on their predecessors).

Odds are that Civ VI will be "evolutionary",, that seems to be the pattern (III and V were radical changes, II and IV were elaborations/improvements based on their predecessors).

I'm really banking on that and hope you're right.

The diplomacy in IV was more logical. I'm not sure I'll say better but definitely easier to get a grasp of. Too many situations in V require a lot of hours of playtime to predict the results of your choices. It stopped being so bad once I got used to it but there was definitely a learning curve that wasn't there in IV. Also the random diplo events with border civs really let the player decide if he/she wanted a more peaceful or militant game.

The barb cities from III gave players an early opportunity for some "fun war" while staying mostly peaceful with the real civs.

The evolving leader heads from III were nice too. Added some immersion to the game for the leaders to dress according to the era they were in.

The barb cities from III gave players an early opportunity for some "fun war" while staying mostly peaceful with the real civs.

The evolving leader heads from III were nice too. Added some immersion to the game for the leaders to dress according to the era they were in.

Yup, especially the tailored names of the barbarian tribes. Them taking a city and growing it like a city state A.I. THat was fun.

Exactly about the las point. Shaka in his attire was awesome, and LIncoln in a caveman outfit…. oh man, those were the days.

Yes, I miss polution or some other mechanism to control production, similar to how happiness controls growth. At the moment, spamming production buildings is always a no-brainer which is a bit of a let-down; I liked how in previous games you had to weigh the pros of increased production against the cons of heavy polution.

Yes, I miss polution or some other mechanism to control production, similar to how happiness controls growth. At the moment, spamming production buildings is always a no-brainer which is a bit of a let-down; I liked how in previous games you had to weigh the pros of increased production against the cons of heavy polution.

Yeah, I kind of miss the workshop improvement from civilization 4 which increased production so much and allowed mass quantities. The new bnw usually allows space for quality especially with tradition.

strange thing happened...i thought after the post in thread i would play civ iv just to experience all the things i think were better in or missing from civ v. and i didnt have any fun ? its just not as fun somehow as civ v
i dont know how that happened

Top Bottom