[BNW]? Players are assigned to the wrong civ upon joining lobby of Interne saved game

Big J Money

Emperor
I'm not sure if this was really caused by the BNW upgrade. The repro will explain this.

1. We started an Internet MP game using G&K before the most recent patch came out (6 players)
2. We saved the game with all 6 players
3. We all got the 1.03.18 patch, and some of us got BNW
4. The host started a new lobby and loaded the save file (The host had both the patch and BNW at this step)
5. As players joined the lobby, they were assigned to civs based on the order of them joining, instead of being assigned to the civs with their username on them
6. So everyone exited, and we launched a new lobby with the save file again
7. Now we had everyone join the game in the order they appear on the list

This worked except that player #5 was unavailable (we wanted to play without him)

When when player #6 joined the lobby, it forced him into the #5 slot.

I tried kicking the #5 player slot to AI, but player #6 still joined that slot when he would join.

I would expect that it should be possible to continue a MP saved game even if you have fewer players than what you started with. It should turn those players into AI.

But in our case, it forced the first slots to be filled with players first.

We were able to work around this issue by having a friend join and take up the #5 slot for us so that player #6 could get into his slot and we could continue.

Here are screenshots illustrating:
Spoiler :

I tried kicking the empty player in Slot #5 out, hoping that EPIC SPIDEY would go into the next human player slot when joining

But instead he still went into the #5 slot.

I don't have the original save file any more (I should have not overwritten it, oops). But that shouldn't matter since Firaxis doesn't have the Steam accounts of the players from the save file anyway, so they wouldn't be able to be reproduce using my game. Someone who wants to reproduce it will have to do it from scratch.

We plan on testing this again later starting a new game with BNW to see if it can still be reproduced without the update in step 3.

Top Bottom