No geographic wraparound?

CaptainPatch

Lifelong gamer
This may very well be the case just for the Inland Sea map. That's because that's the first map type that I've played (am still playing). Anyway, I find it odd to have a Civ map that if you go West far enough, you DON'T end up appearing on the East edge. Especially in this case because there isn't an ocean in between map edges. Just a hard barrier on both the West and East edges.

It also made for some annoying limitations. Being on the West edge of the map, in order to get to what would have been just a little bit more West, I have to march across the entire map to arrive there (on the East edge of the map.

Yeah, a lot of the Explorer's Map Pack map scripts are like that; Inland Sea, Four Corners, some of the geographic-area specific maps (Europe, British Isles, etc.), along with a few others that I can't name off the top of my head. I fine it super annoying, too, but what are you gonna do? It's fun to play those kind of maps...

Usually Island-based maps (Pangea, Archipelago, Continents, Fractal, Terra, etc) have a wraparound, the maps that are more regional like (Europe). usually do not.

In Civ IV, the game made clear whether a map script lacked wrap around, east-west or north-south. I don't believe the same information is available in Civ V, which is a serious omission.

Nothing worse than starting a Civ game only to realize that you are on a map that doesn't wrap around. That's an immediate new game for me.

Why are people such fans of world-wrap? I only like it on maps on which it makes sense, i.e. maps that are supposed to represent the (or a) world.

I hate this kind of map

Land maps that wrap around have an annoying bug, where tiles at the seem are getting represented by the wrong graphics (like a forest appearing like a mountain).

Usually Island-based maps (Pangea, Archipelago, Continents, Fractal, Terra, etc) have a wraparound, the maps that are more regional like (Europe). usually do not.
I can't disagree about regional maps like Europe or North & South America-type playing fields. You have to stay "inbounds". But in my case, I'm playing a HUGE land mass which, instead of having multiple oceans and seas, there's just the one very large Inland Sea. Ergo, if you start at the West edge of the sea and head West, you _should_ eventually approach the EAST side of the sea. Not in this case though.

I've never had a problem with not being able to go North and then come down southwards on the other side of the globe. BIG ice caps making travel impossible; 'nuff said. But East-West or West-East travel should be infinite if what is depicted is a globe. Otherwise we're dealing with Ye Olde Navigation Maps where if you go too far, you're in danger of falling over the edge. (And "Dragons be here".)

Why are people such fans of world-wrap? I only like it on maps on which it makes sense, i.e. maps that are supposed to represent the (or a) world.

I don't like the ugly ugly edges of the map - they're just... gray - and have some weird graphical bugs with the clouds and whatnot... It really breaks it for me. :(
I far prefer Paradox's way to deal with the edge of the map in Crusader Kings II - make a neat little wooden border around it, make it seem like an actual map! :D Though I guess making a border on a map with hexagonal tiles would be a bit weird...

Anyway, that, and the fact that I like to be the first circumnavigate around the globe - which is kinda hard when the "globe" is flat with edges! :lol:

I've never had a problem with not being able to go North and then come down southwards on the other side of the globe. BIG ice caps making travel impossible; 'nuff said.

If you could do that, you would live in a torus.

Civ 2 had you reappear on the other side of the same pole when you went up from the North Pole or down from the South Pole, if I remember correctly. I don't know how you would be able to represent that with a physical object, though (it's neither a sphere, nor a cilinder, nor a torus).

Civ 2 had you reappear on the other side of the same pole when you went up from the North Pole or down from the South Pole, if I remember correctly. I don't know how you would be able to represent that with a physical object, though (it's neither a sphere, nor a cilinder, nor a torus).

elprofesor, in a mathematical sense, that would be a sphere, topologically speaking. But you would have to think of the horizontal axis as a longitude and the vertical axis as a latitude. The "distance" between tiles would no longer represent a length separation, but an angular separation (e.g., each tile represents 2 degrees, instead of representing say 250 km). The result is that a 2-degree tile on the equator might represent 250 km, but near the poles it might represent 10 km.

I don't think that there's a way to map the object that you described onto the surface of a closed 3-D object while still maintaining distance as the primary metric. Then again, you were OK with identifying CaptainPatch's example as a torus, and that mapping also would've required an angle-metric instead of a distance-metric. (Think about it this way: the distance around the outside part of the doughnut is greater than the distance around the inside part of the doughnut.)

I would like to play a game on a Möbius strip, or maybe even on a Klein bottle. One of you expert modders should get to work!

Perhaps I wasn't being clear enough. I was trying to describe going UP to the North Pole, continue moving in a straight line, and then coming DOWN from the North Pole on the other side of the globe from where you started.

A precise map would, as has been mentioned, involve "fat" hexes at the equator, and "skinny" hexes towards the poles. To keep the hexes _nearly_ the same width, you'd have to use a map like this (right side of image)

but with everything above and below the Tropics trimmed off.

To make the hexes universal, you'd have to do a "flattened orange peel" representation. That is, peel the map off a globe by cutting down the length of one latitude. Then from both the top and bottom, cut from the upper or lower edge along each of the 23 remaining latitude lines until you almost got to the Equator. The result would be this jagged looking paper cutout that might have been made in a kindergarten Art project. [Couldn't find such an image quickly. They seemed much more popular 60 years ago. The closest you can get now is something like what you see of the left-hand image. which is before the vertical cuts would be made.]

Top Bottom