Would you play this mod?

Khmaraches

Chieftain
Hello everybody
First, I’m sorry for my poor english.

I would like to present my mod idea, to see if somebody would be interested to play it.
It’s my first mod on Civ5, but I modded a lot on Civ4 and other games. I don’t think I will have problems with the code part, but I have no graphical knowledge. I’ll ask some help around me (I’m working in a video game studio^^), but I’ll probably have to borrow graphics, especially units from other mods/creators. I’ll probably need some text correctors also.
This mod is aiming to change three things:
-The first is a think that I despise in all Civilizations games: According to the title we should play a civilization, not a country!
-The second one is the fact, that I think that some eras in civ5 are too short.
-Lastly I want to correct some historical things (No Firaxis, there is only one Coliseum in the world!)

So this is the plan:

Epochs
The epochs of the vanilla Civ: Prehistory – Classical – Middle Age – Renaissance - Industrial
The epoch in my mod: Protohistory- Classical - Late Classical - Early Middle Ages – Late Middle Age

Note that I don’t want to go further for the moment to minimize the work.

Civilisations

Each Civ have several events that will be triggered automatically when some conditions are meted.
For exemple:

Latin Tribes
Event 1: Rise of the Roman Empire
Condition: Be in Protohistory or classical, have three cities.
Then:
-Become the Roman Empire
-Starts a Golden Age
-Acquire Greco-Roman culture technology (see later)
- +15% production for buildings, units and wonders.
-Receive two free legions

Event 2: End of Rome
Condition: Be in Late classical, have some technologies
Then:
-Become Kingdom of Lombardy
-CityNames becomes Italian
-Lose benefits from the Empire
-Move Palace to Pavia (if owned)

Event 3: Kingdom shattered
Condition: Automatic at a certain date
Then:
-Become Italian City States
-+15% for Wonders building
-gain an additional trade route
- -15% unit building
-Move palace to Genoa (if owned)

Also: More UU and UB, for example Latin tribe again:
Melee: Warrior – Legion (UU) – Limitanei (UU) – Men at arms – Longsword
Lance: Hasta (UU) - x - Pike - Condotta (UU) - x
Archer: Archer - Comp.Archer – x -Genoan Crossbowmen (UU) - x

Legion and limitanei are stronger versions of the basic units, to ease roman domination.
Hasta starts with discipline (as the civic)
Condotta ears money for each killed enemy

In addition I would like to add some historical events, like in EU2 (great generals as Alexander, Barbarian invasions, etc).
As it requires a lot of work on each Civ, I would like to work on European/Mediterranean Civs only for start.
Here some of the ideas:
Gaulish Tribes – Frankish Kingdom – Carolingian Empire – Kingdom of France
Britton Tribes – Saxon Earldoms – Kingdom of England – Great Britain
Celtiberians – Wisigothic Kingdom – Spanish Kingdoms – Kingdom of Spain
Germans Tribes – Kingdom of Germany – Holy Roman Empire
Norse Tribes – Scandinavian Kingdoms – Kalmar Union
Polanes Tribes – Kindom of Gniezdo – Kingdom of Poland – Rzeczpospolita
Krivichi tribes – Novgorodian Rus’ – Kievan Rus’ – Muscowy – Russian Tsardom
Phoenician Colonies – Carthage – African Kingdom – Almohad Caliphate – Marinid Sultanate
Khemet – Aegyptus – Misr – Mamelouk Sheikdom
Etc

If I have time I'll think about ahistoric developpements (Like Kievan Rus' or Roman Empire never destroyed, or Arabs fails to conquer Egypt, or African Kingdom), but for the moment I would like to stick to the history.

Technological determinism
Another feature in the mod is some civ related cultural tech. For example to build the Stonehenge you have to have the Celtic culture tech (Gaul, Celiberian, or Britton), to build the Notre Dame, you have to have the Germanic culture tech (Germans and Norses, then Franks and Saxons).
By the way the mod isn’t indented to be balanced: Some Civs will receive huge bonuses at certain moments, the others will waiting for their golden age, or contemplate their past greatness; just like in reality.

Other aspects
I also would like to rework the religion, to make it more historical, but I’ll leave it for later.
However I would have to rework the civics, because of the timeframe changes. As Civs will already have bonuses/malus because of their political regime, I was thinking to transform them in craftings and lores (boat construction, banking, astronomy, masonry, etc).

What do you think about this mod, would you play it?

Work planning:
-Change the tech tree (easy part, just renaming things, leaving a lot of placeholders)
-Doing/finding models for new basics units and the obvious UU
-Civs changing events system
-Civics
-->Alpha
-Add historical events and UU/UBs Civ per Civ
-Replace all the placeholders
-->V1

I think the problem with this is that Anno Domini is similar to your mod already. And your mod is quite similar to Rhye's Civ 4 mod and which is ironic since he gave up on porting his mod to Civ 5.

Well, I don't think my mod would be really similar to this ones:

I love both of them, Anno Domini is one of my favorites Mods on Cov, but it's focused on ancient history, when I would like to focus on Roman period - Dark Ages - Early Middle Age.

Rhyes mod is about all the Earth, and the whole Civ time frame, while mine is just about a short period, and only Europe - Mediterranea, to focus on small states and "minor" events.

Would you think my mod would be more interesting if I reduce the time frame more: From Fall of Rome to early Middle age (grand migrations period), or central middle age?

Sounds interesting but it seems too scripted. Maybe you could have the events sometimes not even fire like the Kingdom Shattered one for example.

I think the whole idea has a lot of free space for different applications: For exemple a player could have a lot of negative events, having always the choise between "let the roman empire fall", and "endure the event". If he can endure a lot of bad events (barbarians surges, tech loses, gold loses, batiments destructed, etc), then at renaissance he could have a positive event like "Roman Empire Restaured", giving him bonuses and maybe UU or UB (reformed legion?) for the rest of the game.

However study all this paths represent a lot of work, so I would like to start with a "stick to our history" mod, and then, if I have time, and the mod is played, to evolve to "It could be..." solutions.

I quite like the concept I'd play it, I was actually thinking a couple months ago that this sort of concept could be quite interesting, provided that the era's lasted the whole game and did go past Late Middle Ages and there was a full unit roster and I could play for as long as I liked ie huge map and marathon etc etc

Hi

Finally I managed to get free time, and started to work on the mod with some changes.

I'll had to add an era anyway (dark ages, between classical and and middle age), the reason is, that most of country "transformations" happened at this moment.

I did some small changes to techs, and add some small buildings (especially to boost happiness in the beginning of the game, to have some early expansion for civs which should.)

All of this changes are only in the ancient/classic/dark/medieval eras.

The new unit rooster for this eras is:

Ancient Classical Dark Medieval

Hunter Archer C.Archer Crossbow
Spearmen x Pikemen x
warrior swordsmen men at arms longsword
x horsemen heavy cavalry knight
x catapult onagre trebuchet

If somebody have some ideas for unit models for hunter, men at arms, heavy cavalry and onagre it would be great.

Top Bottom