Europa Universalis IV

Yep... Its not worth responding to Scheva as he posts the same thing every few months.

Thats because Paradox pull the same every two months and there has never been a ontopic answer/reply to what i've said?

No, always "lol, troll alert", "console peasant", and other ad hominem "arguments". Very mature. You can be proud of 10k posts when they are all of that standard
Moderator Action: Please stop trolling and baiting other posters. If a post upsets you, report it and let the staff handle it.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

We had a long conversation about it last time and you're just repeating all the same old things. What's more, we were told to break it up because it was getting nowhere, so let's not have that happen again, please.

Moderator Action: Again, please report the post instead of answering it. Answering only keep the argument going.

well, CK2 is irrelevant here (and a dead parrot at this stage anyway)
Aren't they still releasing expansions for it, though? Seems pretty alive to me. I still don't have WoL or a couple portrait DLCs so it hasn't been long enough for them to hit 75% off, so even if it's dead, it hasn't been so for very long.
So in two years after release you never played the game like the developpers envisioned it, or like other people do. All because you refuse to pay an additional 200%. Isnt that frustrating and injust?
I've actually only had EU4 since December, and most of the people I know don't have some of the expansions I do. It's annoying, sure, but not to the point where I'm on a warpath.

EA, though, that's a company I can hate.

Concerning CKII, one interesting thing about its sales is that according to a recent interview with one of the PI producers (I forgot whom), it was stated that unlike most games, CKII's sales have been consistently growing at a linear rate ever since it was released, and that it is still going strong like this. There's also the fact that before Cities Skylines stole its thunder, CKII became the most successful PI game recently when it sold over 1 million units. I do think the CKII forum community is quieting down, and sure, people aren't talking about it that much, but it's still healthy enough - after all the devs are still planning at least 2-3 expansions down the line, and it's possible things have been quiet because there have been no new big patches or expansions.

Yeah, that's my opinion. Also, EU4 has more important DLC coming out recently, and CK2's last big thing was Charlie.

EUIV is having a moderately-major DLC coming out with equally major free stuff coming with it. CK2 still gets the expansion treatment too. I figure people can wait for the gold edition in a year or two when CK3 is announced.

I really wish they would break all the dlc into a couple of big expansions instead of releasing a new one every two months and stop charging out the arse for it

I want to like eu4 but it's hard when I can't afford half the goddamn features

When I post this but in other words, i get infractions and insults all around.... And I dont even use the word arse...
Moderator Action: Please do not discuss moderator actions in public thread posts
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

And CK2 is pretty dead. From the 30 people that have it in my friend list, only 2 have played it in the last two week. Eu4 does 400% better with 8 people out of 24.

Well, that's purely anecdotal. Five out of eleven of my friends last played CK II in the last fortnight, but only three out of nine have done the same for EU IV.

And on my side, as many people play CKII as EUIV. Based on the interview with the devs, again, it seems that CKII's sales patterns aren't normal, in that they are at a consistently linear rate, rather than having a growth peak before collapsing into obscurity. It's why they keep making expansions for it, even though it doesn't seem as active as other games, because PI has the numbers that show it's still profitable.

And CK2 is pretty dead. From the 30 people that have it in my friend list, only 2 have played it in the last two week. Eu4 does 400% better with 8 people out of 24.

How do you make statements that are demonstrably false with five seconds of research? Crusader Kings II and EUIV are two of the top fifty games played on Steam in terms of player count. CK2 and EUIV peak players are greater than Planetside 2's by a large margin, and nobody would call Planetside 2 dead either.

It's about equal for both games with my friends, Scheva. This is waaay too anecdotal to actually count, though. Tiny sample is tiny.

According to my research, I am playing a CK2 mega - campaign now so it must not only be pretty popular according to my sample size but as an excellent businessman I would advise Paradox to release more mega - campaign friendly DLCs for CK2 as that will be really popular in regards to current trends.

Started up a Pomeranian game the other day, my first game since the 1.7 days of last summer. And I'm hooked - the additions from both Wealth of Nations/Conquest of Paradise, as well as the free patch additions, are both nice. The new Reformation is perhaps my favorite, but the greater variety of Papal Influence choices is also a nice improvement.

This is also the game where I've declined the most, outside of being conquered as a one-province country, and kept going. I started with three provinces, gained two, but got hemmed in by neighbors with superior alliances. Fifty years in, and Brandenburg conquers three of my five provinces. But I bide my time, and 20-30 years later am able to take two of those back, the start of a resurgence, culminating in taking two of Brandenburg's own provinces. There's nothing quite like getting revenge on your old foe.

I did a Pomerania game my first campaign. I got most of northern Europe but I had to eat Brandenburg and Bohemia to form Germany, and both of them were my allies and the game just refused to give me a PU over them. OH WELL. I blobbed some more in North America and Indonesia. I think I got to the late 1600s.

Haven't posted here in forever. I have a decent game going as Morocco, managed to hold off the Spanish and Portuguese until I westernized, now I control an arc of territory from Morocco to the Egyptian border plus the trail through the Sahara.

Haven't gotten the latest expansion yet, if it is out.

My Pomerania game has continued on. After regaining my footing versus Brandenburg, I was able to strike at a weakened Denmark, which with the help of The Hansa, was easy. The one good thing about Brandenburg destroying me was that The Hansa decided I should be an ally rather than a rival. Fast forward to 1601, and I have most of what used to be Denmark, including the southern part of modern-day Sweden, and also have a decent chunk of land in northwest Germany. I don't at this point plan to form Germany; it's just worked out well to expand a bit south from the coast.

Reliable allies have also been key. Burgundy, Tirol, and I are dedicated to each other through thick and thin, and have successfully defended each other in three coalition wars (two against Tirol, one against me... Burgundy also had a coalition that failed, but that was before Tirol existed). Lithuania abandoned me once, leading to the Brandenburg issues, but has been reliable for a century. The Hansa has been reliable since deciding I was a friend... which has also benefited them by discouraging me from trying to take their rich lands. Being in good enough shape to reliably answer their calls to arms has helped a lot. Not being allied with Bohemia, the Emperor, has also helped - they'd call me in to all sorts of wars that had low chances of success. Now, I couldn't care less that Burgundy is eating the northwest part of the Empire.

I'm focusing colonization on Central America currently, from Panama northwards, with a secondary focus on the mid-Atlantic region of North America (Virginia and the Carolinas).

Other noteworthy events France being chipped away at by both Burgundy and Spain, Spain conquering nearly half of Italy, Genoa being based around Crimea after losing their homeland, and the Timurids conquering Tibet. Now the Timurids are moving south from Tibet and into the part of India around modern Bangladesh.

There's also been a lot of westernizing. Morocco, Jenne, Poland, Lithuania, Russia, the Ottomans are in-progress. Much more than the old patches. The Timurids have reformed their government as well, and are thus in the Muslim tech group instead of Nomad, and may well survive and continue expanding into India (though the Ottomans did take a few of their western provinces).

Pics, pics, pics! :)

Semi-related: The FLAC versions of the EU4 and other Paradox game songs from the Humble Bundle this week is nice. With some good headphones and a quiet room, there are some nice extra details versus the OGG version that ships with the game. Now I'm wondering if it's possible to get more complete versions of the soundtracks as FLAC - the main themes are great, but a lot of the other pieces are, too.

Pics, pics, pics! :)

Okay, here are some pics!

To start with, here's my progress in 1480... nothing too remarkable, but a decent start. Being allied with Bohemia, the Emperor, proved to be a liability, as their wars drained my manpower. As can be seen, they didn't do so well from them, either.

Spoiler :

Next stop is 1500. As mentioned, Brandenburg struck at me, and cut me down to a mere two provinces - thankfully, including Danzig, by far my richest province over the whole game so far.

Spoiler :

The Palatinate looks like they're doing well here, but they were quickly coalitioned down to size.

Around 1520, our kingdom stuck back, and it continued to do well in the decades that followed. By 1555, we'd re-established ourselves. The map here also shows other nearby happenings, notably Burgundy's success at France's expense, Lithuania doing well for themselves, and the Ottomans on the rise. Georgia had also carved out a niche.

Spoiler :

Moderate expansion, as well as consolidation, followed, such that by 1601 our territory had expanded somewhat, but not drastically. The Ottomans had expanded significantly, however, and the Timurids had made it all the way to Tibet.

Spoiler :

In the New World, colonization was underway. Not pictured is Spanish Brazil, which is massive. England, Portugal, and France also had a head start, but there was still plenty of land.

Spoiler :

By 1620 or so I would also have Slesvig and Sjaelland from Denmark, as well as expanded colonies. However, the good times were not to last forever. By about that times, the Ottomans had imploded - 1600 was their peak. At that time, they were westernizing, which proved to be a major mistake. The Timurids declared war while they were putting down rebels, and soon were occupying lands. Next thing I knew, everyone and their best friend was declaring war on the Ottomans - Spain, Naples, Lithuania. Then smaller countries, such as Georgia. Then countries that had no business declaring war on someone like the Ottomans - Hungary, Serbia, and even Naxos of all nations. And they all won. Nations were freed left and right - Bulgaria, Syria, Mamluks, Greece, and so forth. The Ottomans went bankrupt time and time again, and even after the truces, they had rebel issues with no money nor manpower for troops... so after the truces expired, their enemies declared war for another round. They did complete westernization, but by the time they finished it was pretty clear it hadn't been worth it.

And soon after their Internal Struggles? I got Internal Struggles as well. It started out innocently enough - 30,000 or so Danish Nationalists. I confined them to Sjaelland before too long, and reckoned I'd be able to hire some mercenaries to deal with it before it became a big deal. But then Internal Struggles fired, and the peasants got uppity. And the nobles in Nova Scotia rose up. Still, I had military points to suppress uprisings. Things were tenuous, but probably sustainable, and once my new king (5/3/5) came to power, the rough times could be put behind us.

And so he came to power. And things did improve... for awhile. The peasants were put down. The Danish Nationalists were stalled, if not defeated. Nova Scotia was ignored, because it had become the backwater part of the empire anyway. And to celebrate the apparent return of stability - if not quite yet the end of the Internal Struggles - a campaign was launched against the Maya, with the aim of jump-starting our soon-to-be-colonial nation in Mexico.

And the Maya were vanquished. New Pommerania, in eastern North America, even helped. All was well. All provinces, save one, were annexed, along with a large sum of gold.

But Pommeranian Mexico did not come to be. See, a colonial nation forms not when you have 5 full-size cities in a colonial area, but when you have five cored full-size cities in a colonial area. We had four. So instead, we had almost 100% overextension from the Maya, plus another 50-some from Sjaelland, which had still not been cored due to the nationalists.

And that's when things got really bad. More nobles. More nationalists, particularly Danish but also Saxon. Multiple pretenders to the throne. And the peasants! When there were over 60,000 peasants in revolt at once, not to mention a good 30,000+ Danish nationalists and at least 20,000 pretenders, the writing was on the wall. Even in the New World, things were bad - tens of thousands of nationalists in the former Mayan lands. The Danes dispatched an entire allied Burgundian army of nearly 30,000, and a mercenary Pomeranian army failed to defeat a large peasant mob. Nothing could be done; no deal struck to avoid disaster. Monarch points were depleted; manpower was nonexistant, all the mercenaries in the area hired and defeated.

And so it was that Pomerania imploded, collapsing into a shadow of its former self, in 1641.

Spoiler :

Four provinces were left. Denmark - who thanks in part to Sweden, had been vanquished - returned. Anhalt gained 4 provinces, Danzig our most wealthy province. Poland took one, Bohemia another. And in the New World, though our colonies had gained much since 1601, Maya and Itza broke free. The only redeeming factor was that a single province had been saved and cored, allowing Pomeranian Mexico to form.

Spoiler :

But the Internal Struggles had definitely lived up to their Disaster moniker. Ota Szczecin may have won the throne, but he'd lost nearly everything else. There was hardly even an army in the Old World. Task One was building transports to ferry the New World troops home to replenish the Old. There was no manpower to build troops in Europe.

And the icing on the cake? New Pomerania's liberty desire had shot over 80%, and Pomeranian Colombia's to around 93%, as they were now both a fair amount more powerful than Pomerania itself. The immediate loss of tariff revenue also was a significant hit to the treasury (along with the loss of Danzig and other cities back home), meaning that mercenaries were no longer affordable. Brand-new Pomeranian Mexico was still loyal, but poor. A plan was seriously considered to finish establishing California, the next new colony being built, and to then release the colonies and play as California. With lots of room to expand, California would stand a decent chance of controlling its own destiny, quite possibly more than Pomerania itself from the vantage point of 1641.

However, there were 5 years of truces to rebuild. First, alliances that Burgundy and Lithuania had broken during the Internal Struggles (when prioritizing domestic affairs and the Maya incident had caused diplomatic reputation to plummet) were re-established. Then, we struck quickly with our 10,000 troops and allies to re-take first Danzig, and then in a war with Anhalt, Poznan from Poland. Most of Anhalt will be re-taken shortly. So it is that, in 1652, the situation is looking, if not great, at least a lot better than a decade ago:

Spoiler :

Tariffs have also been lowered, and while Colombia and New Pomerania remain unhappy, at least they're no longer at the threshold of declaring independence with one bad event. As Pomerania's homeland is re-established and Pomerania's strength improves, there's hope that they'll begin paying (reduced) tariffs again, and colonization will again be profitable rather than a money pit.

Spoiler :

Colonial investment is currently all on California; I'm somewhat afraid of investing too much in New Pomerania lest they do declare independence. Portugal, meanwhile, has a major problem on its hands, as Portuguese Mexico has a liberty desire of 100%. Once Portugal ends their war with Morocco, I fully expect a war of independence to occur.

After the Anhalt war, re-claiming cores will have to pause due to manpower issues, but I'm cautiously optimistic that a nearly-full recovery can be made in a few decades, allies willing (The Hansa receives credit for being the only ally not to break their alliance during the turmoil). Pomerania was shaken to its core, but unlike the Ottomans was at least able to re-establish alliances and keep the colonies.

Good glory! I dont think I would have had the will to continue after that debacle. Congratulations of your seemingly quick recovery and best hopes for the future!

Top Bottom