can you help an old timer out

kingstuart

still in a big country
years ago i played this game almost exclusively

moved on to other games. was rekindling my desire for the game by this site and picking up alpha centuri. i have civ3 and c3c on my hard drive but i am without the c3c disk somehow it got lost argh! i have the cd for civ3 vanilla. when i load up c3c-which is my preferred civ 3 game i cannot start it because the cd is not in the tray.

is there a work around for this if i remember correctly there was years ago.

if not, is buying a used cd of the game safe-say from amazon or ebay?
other option is steam or gamestop downloads with civ3 and 4 together- will all the mods here work with that steam or gamestop's download

any advice would be greatly appreciated

play on

FWIW I've got a used Civ3 Complete. The map colors are kinda washed out and when I try to play C3C with it the combat gets screwed. My precious Legionaries can hardly kill anything beyond the classical age, even warriors. So based on my single example better get a new one.

The cost is fairly inexpensive on ebay or other sites.

The download versions should work with practically any mod here. If you've already got a Steam account, or are willing to create one, I have a surplus copy I picked up on sale awhile ago that's been sitting around collecting virtual dust which I can send your way.

Sorry to butt in and I hope kingstuart won't mind this slightly tangential question, but what exactly is Steam? This may seem ultra stupid because I actually have a steam account (thanks to my son) and I play the game through it (or with it, I am not sure which, or either) but where is the actual game software? Is it on my hard drive or up in some cloud somewhere? If the former, why do have to access the game by logging on to my Steam account (maybe I don't ...) and if the latter then how can Quintillus be in a position to send something to kingstuart?

Yours confusedly

Sorry to butt in and I hope kingstuart won't mind this slightly tangential question, but what exactly is Steam? This may seem ultra stupid because I actually have a steam account (thanks to my son) and I play the game through it (or with it, I am not sure which, or either) but where is the actual game software? Is it on my hard drive or up in some cloud somewhere? If the former, why do have to access the game by logging on to my Steam account (maybe I don't ...) and if the latter then how can Quintillus be in a position to send something to kingstuart?

It's sort of on both. The game is on your hard drive located in Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Civilization III Complete/. But it is also linked to your account. So whenever you lose files or need to reinstall you can redownload a file, or the full game from steam.

Steam Accounts can trade games (I heard you can, I havent looked into it myself) to other steam accounts, and they can also gift games to other steam accounts as in buying a game and giving it as a gift digitally.

For kingstuart. It's about 5$ on steam. Last I looked it was still more than this when you buy the game disc. Mods and scenarios work I havent come across one that hasnt. Just maybe some special things or side programs that are made specifically for the expansion cds may not work but I havent had any issues. Ive always used Civ3Complete and I now use the Steam version which is still Civ3Complete just linked to the Steam platform.

It's sort of on both. The game is on your hard drive located in Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Civilization III Complete/. But it is also linked to your account. So whenever you lose files or need to reinstall you can redownload a file, or the full game from steam.

Steam Accounts can trade games (I heard you can, I havent looked into it myself) to other steam accounts, and they can also gift games to other steam accounts as in buying a game and giving it as a gift digitally.

For kingstuart. It's about 5$ on steam. Last I looked it was still more than this when you buy the game disc. Mods and scenarios work I havent come across one that hasnt. Just maybe some special things or side programs that are made specifically for the expansion cds may not work but I havent had any issues. Ive always used Civ3Complete and I now use the Steam version which is still Civ3Complete just linked to the Steam platform.
Thank you, Nathiri. Much appreciated.

Top Bottom