SGOTM 20 - The Shawshank Redemption

I thought we'd rex a bit towards JC too. We should be able to do both war and rex. Chariots first so we can keep them moving and get capture gold. Istanbul can do a settler or two. Twerks can 7->4 whip a settler while growing on chariots.

Are you sure? Can you go back 1-2 turns and see if you can see AC's iron before the Warriror came along and unfogged it? I think you will see it.

Maybe I'm missing something but how would we see anything? Wouldn't that tile be totally black before the warrior got there (i.e. not grey but black)?

I thought we'd rex a bit towards JC too. We should be able to do both war and rex. Chariots first so we can keep them moving and get capture gold. Istanbul can do a settler or two. Twerks can 7->4 whip a settler while growing on chariots.

Can we at least plan out our next two city locations so that I can plan worker actions accordingly? If we do REX toward JC, I should check out the area with a unit... maybe the chariot in Copper. There have been a few cities settled in the area and we don't know exactly where all of them are yet...

This is pretty complex.... before we can really settle any coastal cities (which we want with the GLH coming online soon), we need our WB lures else we're not getting the full potential out of the seafood.

The only non-coastal city I dot-mapped is north toward Russia and has zero resources in the inner ring = slow to develop.

If we settle west toward JC, we have to unfog some tiles west of Twerks. Plus it looks like Catherine has already settled a city over there that may block us.

We could settle a city with wheat, copper and shared deer west of Copper City... but it's not really in the direction of JC because it would be so far south.

So which way to REX first, when to build the WB lures, how to slot in the chariots/settlers as we also build the GLH and Oracle and how to fold our workers into the overall plan. :crazyeyes:

I think we need agreement on the mid-term plan from 20,000 feet before we do anything else.

Possible city builds...

Twerks: Library (3 turns) -> chariot x2 (grow to 7 pops) -> settler (whip 7 -> 4)

We could build a settler right after the library since we’ll still have :mad: for 2 more turns but this gets us a settler too soon (i.e. before we can have workers in the area and roads pre-built).

Ruins:
T59: 3- pop library; 1-pop LH and finish; put chariot next in the build queue.
T60: Library; put chariot next in the build queue.
T61: GLH
T62: chariot
T63: chariot (we don’t 1 pop the chariot but we get a chariot out soonish and we don't lose any hammers in it)
T64: GLH while growing to 4 pops
TXX: worker (22/60H)
TXX+1: worker (whip 4 -> 2)
TXX+2: GLH...

Istanbul: WB lure (for 1 turn only) -> Granary (no units)

This city is pretty lame right now because it has so much :mad: Do we really want the granary this soon? It just helps us to grow into :mad: that much faster. Should we just work on getting the WB lure done here instead so that we can REX on the coast???

Copper: granary-> monument (no units)

So this plan has us getting 2 libraries, 1 LH, 3 chariots, 1 settler, 1 worker, 2 granaries and 0 WB lures while working on the GLH in the next ~8 turns. Sounds pretty lame if we’re planning to capture Edirne any time soon…

Something has to give. We can't build the GLH, REX and crank out an army super quickly all at the same time. And we haven't even talked about the Oracle yet! :eek:

How long before silver happy comes on line?

My priorities are:

GLH
Peaceful rex
Wb lures
"rush" units (likely HA combined with axes)

I dont think we are really ready for taking Edrin and the barb cities... They will not help us that much yet. So what if Sully gets a spear or two? Adding two axes to our stack will fix that simply.

How long before silver happy comes on line?

Silver is already on line in Twerks. We'll have ivory covered by culture in ~7 turns (5 turns after the library completes in Ruins). If we pre-road and have two workers, we could have ivory in 9 to 10 turns.

My priorities are:

GLH
Peaceful rex
Wb lures
"rush" units (likely HA combined with axes)

I agree although I would put WB lures ahead of REX because we need to get the triremes out of the way to really REX effectively... at least along the coast.

Regarding rushing, we could still use chariots but if that were the plan, we really should have continued to build them 10 turns ago. We've kind of lost our chariot momentum and to get it going again would be fairly painful and affect the rest of our plans too much.

We just need a few axes (plus some existing chariots) for Edirne and they can be 2popped for maxOF. With our slave trade burgeoning, we can get the copper hooked up immediately.

We need to rework the worker turns.

Ruins:
When exactly is GLH complete? Do you know? or would you like me to figure it out?
Can we afford to slow build the chariot there? or should we whip it as planned?
If we don't whip it, maybe we can whip a wb lure. Istanbul should make a lure at the same time.

Capturing cities is way better than building settlers. We can't settle NE until the lures do their magic, so I was thinking, if we do settle something, we go towards JC first. This fits very well (or we make it fit well) with the anti-iron party going west.

Axes are quite a ways away... About 20 turns, right?

I was thinking that copper was NOT in the BFC of Copper City when I posted this...

:confused: Copper connected T67 at the latest. (8 turns)
I can see t65 happening.

I'm away from the game. I had it in my mind that Copper City needed a border pop before getting access to the copper. My bad.

I guess by hooking up the copper ASAP and re-working worker actions, we'd hook up the copper before mining the silver???

I meant to just monitor the gray. JC doesn't have much black.

??? I thought you wanted me to open a previous save to see if I could see the suspicious 2F1H tile before we had even defogged it for the first time.

So what exactly do you want me to check from 1 or 2 saves ago and I'll do it?

??? I thought you wanted me to open a previous save to see if I could see the suspicious 2F1H tile before we had even defogged it for the first time.

So what exactly do you want me to check from 1 or 2 saves ago and I'll do it?

sorry, my bad. we're talking about 2 different things AC vs JC, and you're right, that land was totally black. Nothing to check in AC land.

i do want to keep an eye on JC's gray tiles.

When exactly is GLH complete? Do you know? or would you like me to figure it out?

It's still hand-wavey like it's been from the start, so I don't have the MM nailed down all the way until the GLH is completed.

Can we afford to slow build the chariot there? or should we whip it as planned?
If we don't whip it, maybe we can whip a wb lure. Istanbul should make a lure at the same time.

I'm not sure that 1 popping 30H build items is the best solution with :mad: piling up there. Better would be to 2-pop axes with max OF I would think.

Capturing cities is way better than building settlers. We can't settle NE until the lures do their magic, so I was thinking, if we do settle something, we go towards JC first. This fits very well (or we make it fit well) with the anti-iron party going west.

What I'm struggling with is that there isn't much synergy between the GLH and REXing inland away from the coast. A GLH strategy would have us settling/capturing massive coastal cities and aggressively getting foreign TRs with all of the AIs we can to support our trade route needs.

So we can REX/expand toward JC with the iron-denial strategy but that pretty much nerfs the GLH in the short term. Feels kinda wrong to me...

What I'm struggling with is that there isn't much synergy between the GLH and REXing inland away from the coast. A GLH strategy would have us settling/capturing massive coastal cities and aggressively getting foreign TRs with all of the AIs we can to support our trade route needs.

So we can REX/expand toward JC with the iron-denial strategy but that pretty much nerfs the GLH in the short term. Feels kinda wrong to me...

I only want one city West to JC. JC can settle the Deer/Wheat directly west of Twerks for us.

Other than that I agree with the GLH type of settling/capturing.
I want to capture those two south coastal cities (and only include Edirne because it's so annoying). One strategy I like to use is to gift Edirne to JC. Then he can build a worker for our enslaving and send workers roading in our direction.

How about this GLH strategy:

1. Build the GLH... duh!
2. Beeline axes (after the chop completes on the silver hill or right away?)
3. 2-pop axes with max OF to help complete the GLH and Oracle (city TBD but Istanbul would be nice so we can put cultural pressure on Rheims).
4. Build a few WB lures while we wait for copper to come online.
5. 3-pop a settler or two for a coastal location (not toward JC).
6. Take out Alemanni, Edirne and Ankara (all coastal) with our axes in ~15 to 20 turns (brown numbers).
7. Send a pillaging party of two chariots to JC and stake out his land looking for suspicious tiles/worker actions. DoW (nab a worker or two?) and deny metals. Drag AC in for support.

Does this sound like a plan to work on? Or do we just want to REX eastward toward JC and just leave Suleiman Stone Aged for a while?

EDIT: xpost with WT

Copper City can skip the monument and build the Oracle in a few turns with all of those forests (pre-Math chops though). We'll have 2 to 3 workers in the area so it could be doable.

Top Bottom