Is it just me, or is Catholicism the most frequently chosen religion by AI?

abone734

Chieftain
Seems to always be taken if you're not first. Is the computer's chose modeled on anything in partictular?

I'm pretty sure each civ just has a religion they will always pick if it's available, otherwise it's random.

e.g. Arabia will always take Islam if it's open (so will Songhai), Byzantium will take Eastern Orthodox, England will take Protestant, etc.

I think the Celts take Catholicism, and since they have a strong early faith bonus they are pretty likely to found a religion first. Ethiopia might also have Catholicism (or it might be one of the other Christian ones, not sure), if that's the case it would definitely explain it. Actually I think the Maya might also have a Catholic bias...

So yeah, if the three early faith powerhouses all have a Catholic preference, it's no surprise it would be taken most often.

If I had to guess I would say that Venice, Rome, France, Portugal, Spain, Poland and perhaps all of the native american civs all prefer Catholicism. Almost a third of the game civilizations, including the three faith masters.

I'm pretty sure each civ just has a religion they will always pick if it's available, otherwise it's random.

e.g. Arabia will always take Islam if it's open (so will Songhai), Byzantium will take Eastern Orthodox, England will take Protestant, etc.

I think the Celts take Catholicism, and since they have a strong early faith bonus they are pretty likely to found a religion first.

Everything that Alzadar says is correct. Each civ has a specific religion it takes if available.

Yes, and Catholicism is the most frequently chosen religion, because it is chosen not only by many European civs, but also the South American ones.

This is also the reason why they split Christianity into three religions - as otherwise 80% of civs or so would go with Christianity.

Yes, and Catholicism is the most frequently chosen religion, because it is chosen not only by many European civs, but also the South American ones.

This is also the reason why they split Christianity into three religions - as otherwise 80% of civs or so would go with Christianity.

I notice the Indian AI always pick up Hinduism and the Chinese AI pick up Taoism. From my playthroughs, Japan rarely picks up religion, but they often go with Shinto. I'm not sure which civilizations often pick up Buddhism or Judaism though (since they are the least likely picked religions from the AI).

I notice the Indian AI always pick up Hinduism and the Chinese AI pick up Taoism. From my playthroughs, Japan rarely picks up religion, but they often go with Shinto. I'm not sure which civilizations often pick up Buddhism or Judaism though (since they are the least likely picked religions from the AI).

I always pick judaism as Egypt :D

I think Siam takes Buddhism as their first choice. But the combinations can be pretty hilarious, for example in my recent game there's an expanding Buddhist Roman empire on the other continent while i am playing as Jewish Venice :D

Anyway, i've never seen anyone take Sikhism or Tengrilism. I think Tengrilism is Attila's first choice, but he rarely starts a religion in my games as he is occupied by producing thousands of battering rams and shoving them up my... city gates :mad:

It`s you.

I hardly ever see Catholicism picked.

Yeah, each civ has its own preference, Ethiopia always choose Easthern Ortodoxy :confused:, I think that Ottoman Empire go for judaism

Religious preference is a part of the game, a characteristic of every civilization. BNW introduced christian schismatic religions only because in GnK great majority of civs had catholicism set as default. It was too much.

In my opinion, choice of religion should be completely random at least for the simple reason that, for example, catholicism is completely alien in cultural terms to most european civilizations, even though it had forced its way to its current dominant position over centuries. Casimir has catholicism as his default religion, even though introduction of the religion in Poland took 3 centuries of bloody and merciless oppression from clergy and succeeded only thanks to its hybridization (just like everywhere in the world, to put it bluntly).

Yeah, each civ has its own preference, Ethiopia always choose Easthern Ortodoxy :confused:, I think that Ottoman Empire go for judaism

Hey. Is the Rastafarian religion in the game. It should be since that`s what Ethiopia`s Haile selaisse is all about, I think.

Religious preference is a part of the game, a characteristic of every civilization. BNW introduced christian schismatic religions only because in GnK great majority of civs had catholicism set as default. It was too much.

In my opinion, choice of religion should be completely random at least for the simple reason that, for example, catholicism is completely alien in cultural terms to most european civilizations, even though it had forced its way to its current dominant position over centuries. Casimir has catholicism as his default religion, even though introduction of the religion in Poland took 3 centuries of bloody and merciless oppression from clergy and succeeded only thanks to its hybridization (just like everywhere in the world, to put it bluntly).

It always seemed randomised to me, but I think it`s because I take random personalities which causes the religions to be all over.

Hey. Is the Rastafarian religion in the game. It should be since that`s what Ethiopia`s Haile selaisse is all about, I think.

Guy was a committed Ethiopian Orthodox. As were all the Ethiopian monarchs, and the majority (just) of the population. They were the first country to become Christian. Rastafarianism doesn't really have anything to do with Ethiopia, and it mildly irritates me how they focus on the whole Rastafarianism thing in-game.

But, moving back on topic, there are more Catholic-leaning countries than any other in-game. Basically anything on the European side of the Mediterranean, plus a couple of other European ones (Austria, France, Poland, Portugal, etc) and most of the Native American ones.

If each civ has a preference for a religion then Judaism wont be on any ones list. Aside from Israel, there has never been a Judaic "Civilization", and I highly doubt whether Firaxis would put Israel in the game because that would be a contentious thing to do.

I think Siam takes Buddhism as their first choice. But the combinations can be pretty hilarious, for example in my recent game there's an expanding Buddhist Roman empire on the other continent while i am playing as Jewish Venice :D

Anyway, i've never seen anyone take Sikhism or Tengrilism. I think Tengrilism is Attila's first choice, but he rarely starts a religion in my games as he is occupied by producing thousands of battering rams and shoving them up my... city gates :mad:

Both Mongolia and the Huns have a preference for Tengriism.

No one has a preference for Sikhism or Judaism.

Would be better if there were no preferences, methinks.

Yeah.

It seems odd to me that there are preferences. I mean, so much effort goes into making this an "alternative history" game instead of a historical simulator like EUIV. It seems odd that they would make the name of a religion the point where a civ tries to be historically accurate. A better way to be an "alternative history" is to presuppose that a civ would take a completely different religion name than the historically accurate one.

Wouldn't Siam go with Buddhism ?

I generally take Buddhism so I wouldn't know for sure :p

I think they'll go Islam as their first pick, I might be very wrong though :p

Yeah.

It seems odd to me that there are preferences. I mean, so much effort goes into making this an "alternative history" game instead of a historical simulator like EUIV. It seems odd that they would make the name of a religion the point where a civ tries to be historically accurate. A better way to be an "alternative history" is to presuppose that a civ would take a completely different religion name than the historically accurate one.

Amen, brother! You're preaching to the chior! (alright, I'll stop). I agree 100%, It's always bothered me that they give the civs historically accurate Religious preferences instead of making the choice completly random.

Guy was a committed Ethiopian Orthodox. As were all the Ethiopian monarchs, and the majority (just) of the population. They were the first country to become Christian. Rastafarianism doesn't really have anything to do with Ethiopia, and it mildly irritates me how they focus on the whole Rastafarianism thing in-game.

I wouldn't say focus. I think it's just the one achievement. I agree otherwise, though.

The same argument could be said about unique units, though. In an alternative history, there's no reason to think Assyrians were warlike and used Siege Engines. It's just for flavor.

The alternate history is accommodated for when the next civ with that same preference founds a religion. The Maya might be the first Catholic nation in the game, forcing the Celts to become Jewish. Isn't that good enough?

Top Bottom