Quick Message Regarding the Steam Workshop and Paid Mods

Gazebo

Lord of the Community Patch
Supporter
Hey all,

I've received numerous messages here and on Steam regarding the recent development of paid mods asking for me to comment on what I'm going to do if and when Firaxis introduces a payment model for Civilization V. My answer is quite simple:

The Community Patch and CSD will always be free.

Others have asked about donations to the Community Patch project. Since it is a team effort, donating money to an individual on the team would be unfair. Thus, I recommend that if you feel compelled to donate money to a team of strangers with an unhealthy addiction to editing code (i.e. us), give your money to a charity like Child's Play instead.

Note: I cannot control what other modders do with their work, so if mods that are part of the Community Balance Patch recommended or required lists are no longer free to download, I'll have to change the Community Patch to accommodate that. Also, this is not the place to discuss Valve's recent workshop-related changes, so let's not get distracted by that issue.

Cheers,
G

Excellent news! I must admit when the news broke my first thought was this mod. Keep it up Gazebo, you're doing an awesome job!

Removing them 'for now.' I'm sure this isn't the last we've seen of the concept.
Apparently they angered the internet so much that they actually lost about a million because of the amount of e-mails their employees had to respond on the matter. So I'm not so sure.

I was actually surprised about how much of a big deal this was to people. Why don't people get this riled up about real issues?

I was actually surprised about how much of a big deal this was to people. Why don't people get this riled up about real issues?
You haven't played Skyrim, have you?
The whole "pay for mods while bethesda takes 50% cut" setup just reeks of next bethsoft game being unfinished on purpose (as opposed to rushed in Skyrim case) and the idea being spread to other games, including Civilization (because 2k loves free money as much as Zenimax does).

You haven't played Skyrim, have you?
The whole "pay for mods while bethesda takes 50% cut" setup just reeks of next bethsoft game being unfinished on purpose (as opposed to rushed in Skyrim case) and the idea being spread to other games, including Civilization (because 2k loves free money as much as Zenimax does).

Let's not get into this: "Also, this is not the place to discuss Valve's recent workshop-related changes, so let's not get distracted by that issue."

G

Top Bottom