How do I add a new Tech?

MelonSpike

Chieftain
Hey guys!

At the moment I'm planning on doing a mod based on a custom map of mine.

But i can't get my new Tech Tree to work... I can move existing Techs around but can't add new ones!? :confused:
(They just won't show up ingame :/)
Any help is appreciated :)

If I get enough Help to get it to work, I will keep you up to date with my mod, release date etc.

(Sry for my bad english I'm not a native speaker :) )

Moderator Action: Welcome to Civfanatics! The Modding Tutorials and Reference sub-forum is for completed tutorials and reference guides only. All queries and requests for help should go in the main Creation and Customisation forum. I've moved this thread to there.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Attach a zipped-up copy of the built version of your mod. See this tutorial for how to add the attachment, and what is meant by the built version of the mod.

Otherwise, it is essentially impossible to determine what you are doing wrong.

Here is my Test Mod (Not the mod I'm currently working on)!
The buildings are working perfectly I just need help with my Tech.

Thank you LeeS for your reply :)

(I searched hours for a tutorial of making a new Technology but I can't find anything!)

Attachments

• More Buildings and Techs (v 16).zip
    7.3 KB · Views: 50
Snippet of code from your modinfo file:
Code:
  <Files>
    <File md5="9063998C1394957364CC004980C5F27E" import="0">XML/Buildings/CIV5BuildingClasses.xml</File>
    <File md5="9D7FFDEA352F3E586ED19EAFB7475BC8" import="0">XML/Buildings/CIV5Buildings.xml</File>
    <File md5="FEE95CCA9852339607C1E66950D53E28" import="0">XML/NewText/CIV5GameText.xml</File>
    <File md5="4B8B079EBB947B824313DDD37F63F485" import="0">XML/NewText/CIV5TechnologyText.xml</File>
    <File md5="13E32AF8E310AD42BE90AF59974D83B9" import="0">XML/Technologies/Technologies.xml</File>
  </Files>
  <Actions>
    <OnModActivated>
      <UpdateDatabase>XML/Buildings/CIV5BuildingClasses.xml</UpdateDatabase>
      <UpdateDatabase>XML/Buildings/CIV5Buildings.xml</UpdateDatabase>
      <UpdateDatabase>XML/NewText/CIV5GameText.xml</UpdateDatabase>
    </OnModActivated>
  </Actions>
See the problem ?

Haha yeah! Thank you very much LeeS :)

Do you know how I can delete existing Tech?
Or how can I disable Agriculture being researched from the beginning?

^^

Haha yeah! Thank you very much LeeS :)

Do you know how I can delete existing Tech?
Or how can I disable Agriculture being researched from the beginning?

^^
You can delete an existing tech, but I would not advise doing so.

If you want all civs to have to research Agriculture, you can remove the tech from the free one(s) a civ gets at game start-up by removing it from a Civilization's Free Techs registered in the table <Civilization_FreeTechs>.

This will do it, I think*
Code:
	<Civilization_FreeTechs>
		<Delete />
	</Civilization_FreeTechs>
The problem will be that any mod-added civ that you have enabled in your mods list that gets loaded after your mod gets loaded will not be effected. To ensure this does not happen you would need to use SQL and create a trigger as discussed here, but I am not skilled at all in doing this sort of advanced SQL so won't be able to give you much help in actually creating such a trigger. SQL just keeps defeating me except for the simpler applications of it, or where I can copy-paste-edit something I can use as a template.

* I didn't test it to make sure there isn't some boo-boo in that snippet of code.

Simply because I'm curious myself, Does anyone have a link to a tutorial of some sort on how to rearange/edit/add to the tech tree?

I searched hours for a tutorial like this but couldn't find any... :confused:

Now I have another problem... I "deleted" the first 4 Techs (not Agriculture) and now I can't choose a production...
Also I made it so Agriculture has to be researched.
Any Ideas why this could be?

Did you put a delete statement in for the deleted prereq techs?:)

Code:
<Technology_PrereqTechs>
		<Delete TechType="TECH_POTTERY" PrereqTech="TECH_AGRICULTURE" />
		<Delete TechType="TECH_ARCHERY" PrereqTech="TECH_AGRICULTURE" />
                            <Delete TechType="TECH_THE_WHEEL" PrereqTech="TECH_ANIMAL_HUSBANDRY" />
		<Delete TechType="TECH_TRAPPING" PrereqTech="TECH_ANIMAL_HUSBANDRY" />
</Technology_PrereqTechs>
In your case the 4 you deleted would be TechType with there appropriate Prereqs. I think you can do a blanket delete as well.
Code:
	<Technology_PrereqTechs>
		<Delete TechType="TECH_DRAMA"/>
		<Delete TechType="TECH_PHILOSOPHY"/>
	</Technology_PrereqTechs>

Top Bottom