Question about Great Prophets

zxcvbob

Emperor
If you found a religion, are all your GP's guaranteed to be your religion, regardless of the religion in the city where they are born?

I'm playing a game now; emperor level Poland. America spawned right next to me and forward settled me, as they are prone to do. Long story short, I declared war and captured Boston and Washington but did not take New York. Washington was a holy city and I inquisitor'd it. Boston was my religion already, and New York eventually flipped due to religion pressure.

Somehow New York spawned a GP, and it was his religion instead of mine, even tho' no cities anywhere were following Protestantism, it no longer had a holy city, and New York had my religion (Sikhism). I can see how he might eventually get a prophet if he has a temple, but how was it his religion?

Of course he didn't convert his own city with it, he converted one of mine and one of my CS's, and the prophet is still wandering around looking for trouble.

I think only prophets born in your cap will always be your religion

Nope. GPrs spawned anywhere will still be of your religion, even if your Holy City has been wiped by an enemy inquisitor and there are no followers of your religion anywhere on the map.

Nope. GPrs spawned anywhere will still be of your religion, even if your Holy City has been wiped by an enemy inquisitor and there are no followers of your religion anywhere on the map.

This fact is actually particularly funny when you faith-buy a prophet out away from your lands in some new city that isn't your religion. ;) Saves you a big hike!

This fact is actually particularly funny when you faith-buy a prophet out away from your lands in some new city that isn't your religion. ;) Saves you a big hike!

This and if you conquered Great Mosque of Djenne, the bought prophet will always have 5 uses. You can even spread faith once and then plant that one. That city doesn't need to follow your religion as said above.

This and if you conquered Great Mosque of Djenne, the bought prophet will always have 5 uses. You can even spread faith once and then plant that one. That city doesn't need to follow your religion as said above.
3 things I didn't know or consider. I sometimes like to spam my religion late game with many Great Prophets, especially if my religion has been proposed.

Note that if you want to get a 5-spread Great Prophet, the GPr must spawn in your Great Mosque city (GPrs that are generated in other cities have the normal 4 spreads) and you have to "buy" the Great Prophet (GPrs that automatically spawn in pre-Industrial eras will not have 5 spreads, even if they spawn in your Great Mosque city).

Isn't the exception to this rule when you conquer an enemy holy city? I believe if you buy a prophet in the holy city of another religion, it will convert citizens to the foreign religion, not your own.

I suspect you are thinking of missionaries and inquisitors. Those always take the religion of the city in which they are bought.

Top Bottom