Trapped units

Beechlgz

Chieftain
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I could only find an endless list of threads about the ability 'trapping' which is not what I'm looking for.

I have come across a few occasions where I might have a unit out and about and suddenly a settler from another civilisation builds a new city and my unit(s) are trapped in a small bit of land with no way out. I try to avoid it but sometimes I just don't see it coming and I just need some advice on what options there are when this happens, what can I do that would result in the least loss?

I don't want to reabsorb the units because I won't get much for them. I also don't want to trespass because sometimes I'm not ready to go to war or I'm friends with the civilisaion that has blocked my units and have trades going on. Are there any other alternatives or do I just need to choose the better of two poor options?

You can wait for the tile to be claimed by the cities border growth, this will move your unit to another tile. Other then that you can see the unit saving GPT from Unit Maintaince.

This has just happened to me in my current game.

My well promoted scout got trapped on the other side of the pangea and I wanted to keep him. I already had a declaration of friendship with Denmark so I offered him an embassy in my capital then got Open Borders from him thus freeing up my unit.

An extravagant move for a mere scout perhaps, but I was playing America and was beelining minutemen and didn't have any nautical techs yet.

The choices without going to war are:

1. Ask for Open Borders with that AI
2. Disband the unit; as it's outside your territory you won't get gold but will save the GPT maintenance.
3. Wait for that city to expand and kick you out; this could take a long time.

This has just happened to me in my current game.

My well promoted scout got trapped on the other side of the pangea and I wanted to keep him. I already had a declaration of friendship with Denmark so I offered him an embassy in my capital then got Open Borders from him thus freeing up my unit.

An extravagant move for a mere scout perhaps, but I was playing America and was beelining minutemen and didn't have any nautical techs yet.

If you did have Optics, you'll units have to be within a friendly territory (not sure if CS count) in order to gain the ability to embark.

If there is a CS on the "wrong" side of the border that you could befriend, you could gain the Optics embarking capability by passing through that CS's territory.

Somewhat OT, but I try to do that to AI players whenever possible. I find it funny to see their spearman hanging around in a few tiles for 1000 years.

Somewhat OT, but I try to do that to AI players whenever possible. I find it funny to see their spearman hanging around in a few tiles for 1000 years.

True, but sometimes I get tired of being forced to watch the AI march their unit back and forth for hundreds of turns.

I do this all the time. Especially when playing america. When I see another civ scout (or any combat unit really) I will buy up tiles just to trap them or make them go back the 'long way around'. It's great fun.

And yes, if it is still early game, if I get trapped, I will just disband the unit.

If there is a CS on the "wrong" side of the border that you could befriend, you could gain the Optics embarking capability by passing through that CS's territory.

Cool, I didn't know you could get embarking from CS. I thought it only came from your cities. My one game I was pretty far along so optics was cheap, so I grabbed it and sent a settler over to settle. Then I took my scout in the borders and got embarking.

But only if you're friends with the CS (and have researched Optics, of course). And no scout is worth paying 250 gold (replacement scout only costs 150 gold), but if you happen to satisfy a quest, that can be an escape valve.

This happened to Germany in one of my games
To tell you the truth, I think Germany declared war on me just to get their warrior back
They didn't do much in that war anyways

hmm...

Spoiler :

:lol:

That's pretty funny. Nothing like nuclear fallout and a war zone to be the things that trapped a poor worker, of all units!

[Edit]: What's funnier still is the pond-fish Japanese nuclear submarine in what's basically a small lake. Because one can never be too careful about enemy battleships falling from the sky into your small, landlocked lake!

:lol:

That's pretty funny. Nothing like nuclear fallout and a war zone to be the things that trapped a poor worker, of all units!

[Edit]: What's funnier still is the pond-fish Japanese nuclear submarine in what's basically a small lake. Because one can never be too careful about enemy battleships falling from the sky into your small, landlocked lake!

Yeah that's one of the more irritating things about this game. Sometimes they'll purchase the "right stuff" (ie. a Battleship) to ward off a massive attack, but even that's pretty limited by the lake.

At least the nuclear festivals were funny to watch :lol::crazyeye:

Yeah that's one of the more irritating things about this game. Sometimes they'll purchase the "right stuff" (ie. a Battleship) to ward off a massive attack, but even that's pretty limited by the lake.

At least the nuclear festivals were funny to watch

Slightly off-topic but I'm curious. If you're playing as Ethiopia, how long have the Japanese held your starting capital, and how did the rest of your empire end up overseas?

Slightly off-topic but I'm curious. If you're playing as Ethiopia, how long have the Japanese held your starting capital, and how did the rest of your empire end up overseas?

Since 1999. He took my cap in a two turn blitzkrieg (first turn DOW, next turn everything but the kitchen sink hits the cap and a Marine took it). As for the overseas thing, well, that's the theme of Selassie's achievement eh ;)

Do give it a try though

Since 1999. He took my cap in a two turn blitzkrieg (first turn DOW, next turn everything but the kitchen sink hits the cap and a Marine took it). As for the overseas thing, well, that's the theme of Selassie's achievement eh ;)

Do give it a try though

I followed this link and got a chuckle from the thread this map originally appeared in. That's all I'm going to say ;)

Top Bottom