Brave New DLCs (suggested improvements following BNW)

Canuckster

Chieftain
I am a veteran civ player (been playing since the original civilization) and I’ve never previously posted on any boards. Having recently played Brave New World (which is a fantastic game), I feel compelled to offer my suggested improvements/additions to what could make this game the best civilization game ever designed. By the way, the elimination of the spaghetti road network is one of the biggest reason I’ve enjoyed Civ 5 above previous incarnations.

[A] Suggested Additions

Combat
•Base and Port Improvements: Allow one base and one port to be built by a civilization in each of the city states. These improvements would allow units to be upgraded outside a civ’s territory at any base/port that was built by that civ (add flag/color to indicate which civ has built it). Pillaging another civ’s base or port would be considered an act of war.
•Two-Unit Stacking Ability: Provide the Great General with a second special ability that allows it to add a two-unit stacking ability to a land unit. This would allow the unit with the gained ability to stack with another like unit to double its hit points. This would consume the Great General and the unit with this ability would be allowed to stack/unstack at any time. This would also allow for Great Generals to have an alternative ability to building citadels.

City States
•New City States: Add production and scientific city-states. This should help re-balance the victory conditions to foster scientific victory.
•Annexing City States: City states get temporarily annexed if a civ reaches a certain amount of influence point with them (lasts for 30 turns?). This would apply to all civs except maybe Greece and Venice. The city state border color or flag gets changed to reflect the civilization that has annexed it. The city state would act as they do now (i.e. production, buildings, etc. do not get added to the civ as they do with annexed cities of competing civs). The added benefit is that the controlling civ would be allowed to upgrade their units in the CS territory and be guaranteed their votes in the world congress for 30 turns.

Diplomacy
•Alliances: Allow alliances between civilizations that lasts a minimum of 30 turns but only get cancelled when one of the civs bails out after the 30 turn minimum. Alliances would default to open borders and defensive agreements increasing tourism between civ by an additional 25% due to the alliance (on top of the 25% already received from open borders). Once ideologies are adopted, civs can only ally with other civs of the same ideology. Voting intent between allied civs would be revealed.

Culture
•Sunken Ship Sites & Exploration Sub Units: Add sunken ship sites throughout the sea some period after archeology. Build exploration sub units to explore the sunken ships for treasure or artifacts.
•Auction House Building: Add an auction house building that allows the storage of artifacts for trading, selling or later use. Storing great works doesn’t generate culture or tourism. An alternative would be to allow the civ to receive gold as a third choice when unearthing an artifact (in addition to placing it in a museum or building a landmark).

World Congress
•Top Three Cities: Add resolution to compensate the top three best cities when in effect (reminiscent of top 5 cities menu screen in older civ games). Similar to world games or world fair. Top cities would be based on numerous factor such as population, wonders, etc.

Wonders
•Civilization-Wonder Production Bonus: Tie one wonder production bonus to each civilization if there is enough to go around. It would be a nice themed addition if say France had a production bonus when building the Eiffel tower wonder or the Mayans had a production bonus when building the Chicken Pizza wonder or the Canadians had a production bonus in building the CN tower…wait a minute there is no Canadian civilization.

Civilizations
•New Civs: Add another 7 or 9 civilizations. The existing civs (Indonesia, Venetian, etc.) add a lot of versatility to the game. With the special abilities provided by civilization such as the Mongolians, Indonesian and Venetian, it would be interesting to see what other creative civs Firaxis can come up with.
Perhaps add a Canadian civilization.;)

Artificial Intelligence
•Combat AI: Increase combat AI! This cannot be emphasized enough. At least apply the extra strategic capabilities of the AI in the later levels to levels such as Prince and King so there is an option for no cheats but increased AI capability (i.e. Prince Expert…)

Scenarios
•Future Age: Add scenario for future tech age that would be accessible if you win science victory.

Suggested Improvements:

Interface
•Tech Tree: indicate if wonder has been built and by which civ when moussed over in tech tree menu.
•Resource Management/Trading: Allow resources trading menu that indicates how many of each types of resources each civilization owns and which ones they have accessed to via city states.
•City Menu: Highlight the perimeter of city hexes (i.e. green) that are being worked on by a citizen. This would be extremely helpful in quickly scanning each city to make ensure optimal use of city hexes. You currently have to stare at it for a bit to scan through and see which hex is worked on, as they do not stand out easily, and analyze if it fits with current strategy; with 5+ cities this can cause serious eye strain. Simple add which could make for great impact on city management.
•Notifications: Combine some of the remaining explosion of individual pop up notifications all relating to a common activity (i.e. when discovering city state mid-way through the game, you get 6+ notifications indicating that each civ is pledging to protect the CS, or when a peace treaty has ended with a civilization that has a lot of CS…same thing. This could be neatly combined into one notification as has been done to streamline notifications in other instances.
•Public Opinion: Provide more information as to why exactly are your citizens dissidents (or other forms of opinions) which cause some quantity of unhappiness. Numbers would be helpful.
•Roads/Railroads: Prevent traffic circles from being created when building a road to connect to an existing roadway (i.e. three way connections).
•Map/Scrolling: Allow 360 degree scrolling and mini map to also align with center of current screen. This may already been built in but may have not played with the menu options enough recently to see if it exists.
•City Culture: The city border growth indicator should indicate when a city has reached its maximum border expansion.

The above suggestions would address several needs such as improving chances of winning a scientific victory for BNW and the need to upgrade units outside a civ’s territory. This makes it challenging to beat out a strong civilization when you do not have a base whereby to upgrade obsolete units after they have travelled so many miles only to arrive at their destination equipped with obsolete weapons. If these were incorporated through DLCs to eventually make the game into a Civ 5 complete, Civ 5 would become one hell of a strategy game!

As with all posts like this, you have some great ideas mixed in with some not so great ideas.
Base/port: It's no fun to have to send your unit all the way back to your own territory I order to upgrade them, but I'm not sure that cluttering up city-states is the answer. It's a good idea, but maybe just letting us upgrade in city-states we're allied with is better. The port definitely sounds good on paper and I like the concept, but the chosen application sounds complicated.
Two unit stacking: I like this idea. Super units sound fun and interesting, although of course this would actually be a third ability for the great grneral, since leading military units is considered an ability, too, even if it's passive, or at least as passive as leading others into war can be.
New city states: sounds good, although isn't there a policy that gets you science from city-states anyway? Or was that one changed?
Annexing city-states: sounds kind of complicated. I don't think a short term annexation is necessary with culture flipping in the game.

From here on out, I really like all of your ideas, except for the specific civilization wonder bonuses because it hurts the what if element in these games.
Also, no Canadian civ. never a Canadian civ.

[A] Suggested Additions

Combat
[...]
•Two-Unit Stacking Ability: Provide the Great General with a second special ability that allows it to add a two-unit stacking ability to a land unit. This would allow the unit with the gained ability to stack with another like unit to double its hit points. This would consume the Great General and the unit with this ability would be allowed to stack/unstack at any time. This would also allow for Great Generals to have an alternative ability to building citadels.

Melee units should not be able to stack with ranged units and if so, the city'll have a hard time getting those ranged units.

City States
[...]
•Annexing City States: City states get temporarily annexed if a civ reaches a certain amount of influence point with them (lasts for 30 turns?). This would apply to all civs except maybe Greece and Venice. The city state border color or flag gets changed to reflect the civilization that has annexed it. The city state would act as they do now (i.e. production, buildings, etc. do not get added to the civ as they do with annexed cities of competing civs). The added benefit is that the controlling civ would be allowed to upgrade their units in the CS territory and be guaranteed their votes in the world congress for 30 turns.

That's kind of like Austria's UA except you have to buy it. I don't like that idea cause in multiplayer, selfish players could just make a lump of gold and provide it to a city-state.

Diplomacy
•Alliances: Allow alliances between civilizations that lasts a minimum of 30 turns but only get cancelled when one of the civs bails out after the 30 turn minimum. Alliances would default to open borders and defensive agreements increasing tourism between civ by an additional 25% due to the alliance (on top of the 25% already received from open borders). Once ideologies are adopted, civs can only ally with other civs of the same ideology. Voting intent between allied civs would be revealed.

Defensive pact is already like an alliance. But with the additional features, I think defensive pact will play a big role.

[...]

Wonders
•Civilization-Wonder Production Bonus: Tie one wonder production bonus to each civilization if there is enough to go around. It would be a nice themed addition if say France had a production bonus when building the Eiffel tower wonder or the Mayans had a production bonus when building the Chicken Pizza wonder or the Canadians had a production bonus in building the CN tower…wait a minute there is no Canadian civilization.

I dislike this because that civ will have a big advantage towards its real-life counterpart wonder. There are some civs who don't have a real-life counterpart wonder which is a big negative for them. And Chicken Pizza? I see you've been watching PaulSoaresJr lately. Glad to hear you're a Soarvival too.

[...]

Scenarios
•Future Age: Add scenario for future tech age that would be accessible if you win science victory.

Agree. But what would the techs and units be? How would players, who didn't put Save Social Policies on be able to advance once they've had all the social policies?

Some of these idea are a little OP or just doesn't fit well into the game. But overall, the one's I've left out in [...], I have no comment on them cause they're perfect just the way they are.

As with all posts like this, you have some great ideas mixed in with some not so great ideas.
Base/port: It's no fun to have to send your unit all the way back to your own territory I order to upgrade them, but I'm not sure that cluttering up city-states is the answer. It's a good idea, but maybe just letting us upgrade in city-states we're allied with is better. The port definitely sounds good on paper and I like the concept, but the chosen application sounds complicated.
Two unit stacking: I like this idea. Super units sound fun and interesting, although of course this would actually be a third ability for the great grneral, since leading military units is considered an ability, too, even if it's passive, or at least as passive as leading others into war can be.
New city states: sounds good, although isn't there a policy that gets you science from city-states anyway? Or was that one changed?
Annexing city-states: sounds kind of complicated. I don't think a short term annexation is necessary with culture flipping in the game.

From here on out, I really like all of your ideas, except for the specific civilization wonder bonuses because it hurts the what if element in these games.
Also, no Canadian civ. never a Canadian civ.

Base/Port: There could also be an option similar to paying them to improve a resource. In this case you would pay them to add a fort/port but there would be no visible improvement just a flag or something to show that you have the ability to go upgrade your units there. Also city states should show which civ is allied to it by putting a civ icon underneat the city state name on the map.

City states: There is no reason not to have compounding effects. This is already applicable in many forms throughout the game.

Canadian civ: Arrow unit anyone?

I agree especially with the Canadian civilization. Canada's unique ability could be that no one with a bigger standing army then Canada could declare war Canada (because Canada has little army yet no one is after them. And maybe other countries wont covet there lands( because the U.S. is next door but they are best friends.

That would be totally OP, considering how bad the AI is at war. You could have one unit, and nobody would ever attack you.

Pledge to protect

Another improvement would be to have some sort of menu/mouse-over that would show which civ is pledging to protect which CS for war planning. Is there a way to know which civ is pledging to protect a particular CS because more than one civ can pledge to protect a particular CS. This would help when planning to plunder or attack a city.

Great Theatre

Shouldn't a national wonder such as a Great theatre for adding 4 slots for arts/artifact be added to better support smaller civs (tall civs). The only major complaint I have with BNW is that it creates a disbalance of tall vs wide civ that seemed to have been well-balanced prior to BNW. The addition of a Great Theatre should help smaller civs get more art slots to increase their ability to generate tourism, which at the moment seems easier to do with wider civs as they can build more museums.

Allied Civ Indicator below CS

A small but very useful addition would be a civ marker below city state names on the map to indicate which civ is allied to that city state.

Railroad connection indicator

It would be nice to have a railroad connection indicator that shows you have a railroad connection to the capital similar to the trade connection indicator below the city name.

Here is a summary of previously mentioned and new proposed additions for future DLC after spending more time with BNW:

Military
-Civs allowed to pay friendly City State to build Bases (conceptual not an improvement) that will allow the Civ to upgrade their units anywhere in the CS territory. One Civ Base per CS. Flag indicators show which Civ has a base in which CS for upgrading units. Resting point with CS is increase by 20 for Civ who built a base there.
-Great General consumable ability that provides one unit with the ability for staking with another like unit. Only HP gets combined. Attack, Defence, etc. remains the same as one unit.
-Ivory resource allow for general elephant war unit for any civ that owns the resources (2 units per resource). Scatter ivory throughout map as opposed ti lumpin them together (similar to marble).
-Copper becomes a strategic resource to allow the building of certain unit/building types (similar to Civ 4)

Culture
-Separate icons for Artifacts with an image of the Artifact being displayed similar to pop-up screens for great works.
-New National Wonder Building that allows the addition of several great works if all cities have built a certain culture themed building(s) in all their cities. This helps tall civs store additional great works without having to acquire/found new cities.
-New Social Policy in the Tradition tree that provides for 2 artifacts to be dug instead of one if archelogy site is within civ territory. Also Increases rate at which great artists, writers and musicians are generated. Again this helps tall civs with the culture victory.

World Congress
-Trigger world leader vote later in the game. It is too easy to win the game with a diplo victory. I don't get to use the fancy moderm military units anymore...

Resources & CS
-New Luxury Resource to replace copper which becomes a strategic resource
-New Natural Wonders that generate unit abilities similar to Kilimanjaro
-New Natural Wonders that generate tourism (i.e. Niagara Falls, Pamukkale, Grand Canyon)
-New Bonus resource that use the farming improvement (i.e. Canola fields)
-More Buildings that are specific to terrain/resources (i.e. similar to observatory, monastery, mint) or that give additional benefits with certain resources (i.e. granary, stable, forge). Adds more flexibility to the game.
-New world wonders
-9 New Civs
-New Production City States
-New Scientific City States

Let me know your thoughts.

Top Bottom