Rush for Ideologies?

Stacked_Deck

Chieftain
Is there any point in rushing for ideologies? I just finished a CV where I was the first to get an ideology (order) and my tourism was through the roof, I was influential with 2 civs and popular with another 2. Those 4 went autocracy and the other 3 went freedom, they voluntarily put themselves into negative happiness (I'm assuming the AI personalities are the biggest factor in what ideology they choose?), then a couple of world congress votes later on, when I had lost my host privileges, the autocrats pushed through autocracy as the world ideology and I had to change.

If I had waited I could have also made a more informed choice based on the political climate, being the only order civ screwed with my alliances when I could of used it to enhance them. I could have also used the time to finish of rationalism.

It seems like the only reason to push for ideologies is if you plan to make yourself a strong diplomatic power who can push around the world congress.

It depends on what VC you are aiming for, and what finish time.

My play style aims to finish before Ideologies, as I hate the Modern Era entirely.

If you want to win after it, you should definitely consider getting one first.

When I go for science, I try to pick Freedom first. For Culture, there is not so much of a hurry, but its really a science game anyway, so you'll probably be first to it anyway. Probably safest going Order, but optimal is Freedom because of the Media tenet.

For Diplo Freedom is nice, but I like to mix Autocracy and Diplo as well ;)

It is possible to propose your ideology on the first vote of the WC, although normally this is only possible on the second proposal. When the AI doesn't have an ideology, and assuming they don't hate you it'll pass. Some will even vote yea to carry favour with you.
Assuming your first Freedom and Order have bonuses to GP generation as one of their first choices.
For me I like to get 'Universal Suffrage' unlocked before I win the world's Fair and this requires an early Ideology if it was passed on the first vote.

Another tactic is to incorporate the Strategy on Building Prora, Kremlin & SoL (Deity) into your game. You're not on Deity and you won't build all three but 2 is nice. I'm likeing the Auoocracy(pick that)/Freedom(propose this) combo. Unlocking 'Total War' allows me to build Air-Repair GWB which will be my defensive force once the AI DOWs as I'm pursuing a CV(I find this is the only VC the AI will DOW adhoc). If you are first to both you won't loose any policies you've unlocked, this requires a quick Ideology and a quick Radio(timed with the second proposal).

Top Bottom