Marathon

therottweiler

Chieftain
Anyone else only play marathon? I guess I like the epic long games stretched out over several hours of play.

I do! It's the only way I like to play. Your units don't obsolete 10 or 20 turns after you build them. Wonders truly feel wonderful. Tech choices are super important.

If you care a lot about immersion, marathon is the way to go.

I tried to like marathon, but I couldn't get past the build times at the very beginning. I am enjoying epic though. Maybe I'll give marathon another shot some day ...

I do! It's the only way I like to play. Your units don't obsolete 10 or 20 turns after you build them. Wonders truly feel wonderful. Tech choices are super important.

If you care a lot about immersion, marathon is the way to go.

I know Marathon probably gives the human an advantage over the AI.. more oppurtunity for smarter choices but there somethign about a long drawn out CIV game that makes me want more. One. More. Turn.

Marathon is awesome. I like my games to feel almost as long as it takes to play a Final Fantasy game lol.

But yes, the build times are killer, especially in the first 5 or so eras when most of your cities (besides the capital) are lagging behind to build basic buildings. I wish build times were increased by 25%, but I assume that I could also just play as Rome. ;)

If you play Marathon, make sure you also play a consistent map size, and more importantly, mod your game to give the AI more maneuver room (increase MIN_CITY_RANGE to at least 4, if not 5... with 5, you will see some problems with initial CS settlement, but even then it is worth it for the AI becomes much better in combat).

This will probably be even more effective now that Beach et all are trying to teach the AI better formations in the new patch (up to 16 units for city attacks ?), so the more maneuver room, the more challenge... no more City Bomber Alley killing fields for the AI... ;)

Marathon Speed + TSL Huge Earth Map + King or Emperor Difficulty = Best CiV Experience. You can actually use your UUs! You can actually fight interesting wars! You can actually settle without being crowded too much by the AIs!

I tried to like marathon, but I couldn't get past the build times at the very beginning. I am enjoying epic though. Maybe I'll give marathon another shot some day ...

Same here, find Epic much more optimal. Normal speed you cant even use units before they become obsolete, and marathon is a chore.

Playing standard takes me days to complete if I am engaged in warfare. I can't imagine how long a huge marathon game would take!:eek:

Do you marathon players have jobs? A social life? A family? I'm not trying to hate...I guess I'm just jealous!

Marathon is a great way to play, the new patch makes it even better.

If I'm going to play Marathon I almost always play on Huge world anything smaller and you explore the whole world way too quickly. Also I usually max out AI and lower the City states to about 12-20 depending,

My only gripe with marathon is that the combat is too quick, you spend 30 turns building a archer and he dies in 1 turn to a couple barbs because you placed him incorrectly. I realize it's just a mod away, but it would be nice if units were more durable, maybe 200hp or 400hp instead of 100. same with cities. (66hp on quick, 100 on standard, 200 on epic and 400 on marathon)

I guess I don't see the point. I could extend a movie by watching it in slo-mo, but it doesn't enhance the experience. There is a minor point about military units becoming obsolete before you can use them, but epic is more than enough for that.

I just don't see the fun in moving a single scout and warrior around for 100 turns before you finish building anything else.

Late-game I suppose it could be relatively fun, but I'd rather just use my mod that increases late-game tech cost.

Always Marathon. Always Huge. Always Pangaea. Always low sea levels (to maximize land tiles). Always the max numbers of City States. Always at least 7 AI opponents.

I want a meal, not a snack.

I gave up marathon because when the AI blunders units, it can't replace them quickly enough and before long it has no army at all. If you mod the game that problem can be improved.

Do you marathon players have jobs? A social life? A family? I'm not trying to hate...I guess I'm just jealous!

I play it when I am home on break from school. I block CiV when I'm at school because I have schoolwork and friends to keep me busy. ;)

I can't imagine playing marathon. I used to play epic, but went back to normal.

I only play a few hours at night, and even in normal speed it takes me three or four days.

Marathon would take weeks for me.

I might try playing epic as opposed to standard because while I don't really want to spend more than a few days on any given game, I do think the fact that wars often span multiple unit tech upgrades is a little silly.

I'd like for it to be: I get a clutch research agreement that allows me to pick up composite bowman, therefore giving me a large edge for the rest of the war.

As opposed to: I pick up composite bowman and 5 turns later (barely long enough to take a weak city) my opponent has them, meanwhile we're both on the way to longswordsman and will both have them by the next city fight.

Marathon seems to be a little masochistic for my liking, I can bang out a full length standard game in a day on a weekend, but I don't want to spend a whole week on one game if I'm playing it often.

I play standard maps marathon and have managed to hold down an IT job and raise a family. It may take me several weeks to finish but finish them I have.

On Marathon speed every decision matters more, and you get to promote military units; yes, the game lasts a long time, but it is intense (since i play anyway long hours, one game on marathon is better than 3 games on standard).
Even better, for you marathon guys, try the ironman 2 mod - research is way slower; it is a bit unbalanced in a number of ways, but a very interesting experience.

In the Era of Civ4 I tried marathon once.

I chose Stalin and started a game. And then picked Bronze Working as the first tech to research.

When I saw that it would take 40 plus turns to acquire I thought: "No way!"

For me Epic is best.

I only play marathon, on a crowded map, to get use out of units other than on barbarians. Games can take weeks but I like playing at my own pace. I do not play to win, rarely finish. Just like to see where the game takes me. But I do wish units were quicker to build and required less upkeep. I think I am in a minority of one regarding this matter.

Top Bottom