First Deity* win and lessons learned

stormtrooper412

Peacemongering Turtlesaur
It's quite a noticeable asterisk though. I was Babylon, did a Science Win on Standard sized map. But here's the kicker, it was an Archipelago map aaaaand it was on Quick, which I'm absolutely sure made things a lot easier, even on Deity.

I settled only 3 cities for whatever reason, could have gone 4 but the location wasn't really rich in food tiles so it's unlikely it would go far without being massively force fed from around everywhere. Finished full tradition before hitting Rationalism.

And there's when setbacks started kicking in because I only played one BNW game before and it was on Prince with Venice, and long story short I had to buy out everyone to vote me World Leader because I was a few turns and a big tour from Brazilian biggest heavy metal band away from being swept off the board.

Anyway, my culture wasn't really cultured, I was well into Modern Age when I remembered I'd kind of need those artist hipsters to help me out. I also went Freedom because I can flat out buy SS parts, but (since I suck at BNW), that caused a tidal wave of Order-unhappiness. You see, China was for the most part THE culture and when they went Order, everyone had to go Order, yes, even Germany and America. Some anarchy and lost policies later, I was back on track. Around the time I got the Research Lab, I was well ahead in science and I had about 7-8 GSs stacked up to start bulbing. Which I did.

In the end, it was close but I was in the green. Took a really bad, really sloppy 209 turns. I was also struggling with happiness until the tenets took care of that for good, I was in the positive twenties all the way to the end.

Oh and, I wasn't involved in a single war even though most of them were plotting against me at one point.

Lessons learned:

1. Building a SS part in a satellite city that barely goes over 100 hammers is only good if you can churn out more parts in the cap in the same amount of turns + the times it takes for the parts to get to the cap.

2. Don't neglect culture, ever. Get guilds up and start defending yourself from touristic propaganda.

3. I had 2-3 GSs too many, I guess someone other than Babylon would get that much.

4. Holy crikey oh blimey, it's XCOM! When I first heard about that crossover (they make Civ references A LOT in Enemy Within), I was chuffed. I've only seen the XCOM squad in action on a youtube video, fortunately, they didn't get to fire on anyone :]

Oh, and, once you're done, the victory screen has a clickable link that says "GO BEYOND EARTH"

Congratulations. I have never won on Deity.

Congrats st412, quick is suppose to be harder not easier!

I just had my first Deity win (Sweden, diplo, pangaea+, raging barbs, everything else standard) so I am quite pleased with myself!

It really did not feel any harder than Immortal, except early barbs spawned with hand axes. Those are tough to take out with just a warrior and scout!

The lesson learned I would like to pass along is that Immortal players should not be as reluctant as I was to try Deity.

rule of thumb, always turn quick combat off when you get XCOM

Congrats st412, quick is suppose to be harder not easier!

I just had my first Deity win (Sweden, diplo, pangaea+, raging barbs, everything else standard) so I am quite pleased with myself!

It really did not feel any harder than Immortal, except early barbs spawned with hand axes. Those are tough to take out with just a warrior and scout!

The lesson learned I would like to pass along is that Immortal players should not be as reluctant as I was to try Deity.

Really? I generally have little issues playing on Quick (both this game and BE), things are cheaper to rush buy, buildings don't take forever to get up, techs cost less beakers etc etc. but I somehow don't have a feel of it on Standard as hard as I try.

Well, I happy to say that the barbs-with-hand-axes seems to be particular to that one game. I have lost two deity games since, but the bard were easier.

I think they probably added that in the last patch, since the new Civ:BE is out.

They can`t resist their advertising in game, can they? Even if it takes you out of the game. Xcom advertises Civ 5, Civ 5 advertises Xcom and Beyong Earth. Never used to be like that. I understand the need to advertise, but don`t shove it in the middle of my game. They never needed to do this before, Sad and bad taste inmho.

Greed. And it don`t do them any service.

I disagree with the Civ5 <-> XCOM thing, I think it's pretty neatly done especially because I'm fairly sure people who play one game most definitely play or have player the other, including MadDjinn, Marbozir, Zemalf.. and me :D

Well, he did mean the rebooted XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within, which references Civ5 a few times. I wouldn't call it advertising tbh.

Personally, I love XCOM, it first appeared in the early nineties I think, but it was after Civ. Look it up

I have heard of Xcom, and I understood he was talking about the most recent one. I am curious about the few in-game references to Civ5.

Well I know of 4 but I don't want to spoil it for anyone and it's not really related to this topic :)

Quick isn't necessarily easier - I think marathon et all are supposed to be easier since you have more time to outmaneuver the AI.

Babylon and a water map are easier ;)

Well done. Quick is definitely harder for me!

Top Bottom