Cut and paste unit making tutorial?

1st. You need Flicster to export the flc files to pcx spreadsheets, then a program like the Paint Shop Pro*/Animation Shop (that's with a freeware of PSP 4 that I do it) to edit unpacked .flc files. I also use a program called MGI PhotoSuite for some easier palette changes to the entire spreadsheet.

2nd. I work on the base of modifying existing units. I.e. I open a flc file with flicster, export the resulting pcx storyboards with PSP* and pixel-by-pixel put together new headwear, shoewear or even edit weapons. Color changes may be done either before or after the modifications you intend to do via PSP (really depends on what changes are being aimed at). Exporting of file contents from other pcx files should always be done with the same program (i.e. when you are using PSP, don't import stuff from a file you are currently editing with MSPaint or Adobe Photoshop). So at this point I have an English Rifleman default file open, after I changed its colour to match that of the German rifleman, I copy the German one's helmet and paste it into the English one's file- and head. Then I go through every single frame, every single direction doing the same; exchanging the headgear one by one... after im done i can use MGI again for putting my new unit into the desired colour. Save the pcx and load the corresponding storyboard again (Flicster)- only that now your changes made in PSP to the anmation are now visible (its helpful to check before once in a while, so you see every little wobble left in frames where you weren't accurate enough in replacing the new headgear in height and horizontal position) - then you save your storyboard back into a flc and you have done one animation- then repeat with all other animations.

3. Wait... the rest once you get the programs installed and tried out the basics...

It's pretty easy. Just export a flc to pcx using ficster, then edit it in your favorite program. Usually cut'n'paste is kind of tedious with editing pixels and stuff, but considering your experience with pixel stuff your cities), you should have no problem, :)

Export your FLCs then Use MS Paint.

All the real gangstaz like kulade use that to do there dirty work. When your done, open as a BMP in an other program and save it a .PCX. Later you'll have to check the pallettes sometimes, but thats what you get for taking the easy way out. ;)

Its generally easier to go C&P units like tanks and horsemen.

Sorry, that's just how i do. :cool:

I've never found a graphic editor with more simplicity and style than MS Paint!

Or either I'm just stupid and can't figure the rest of them out...

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
MS Paint :o ????????????????????? Jesus- a call from the stone age :(

Don't use MS Paint ever as it screws up the Palettes almost guaranteed!!! Keep everything in pcx format at all times...

Ok, any suggestions on a free software to replace MS paint? :mischief:

Believe it or not, but the Quake II and Half Life texture editor, Wally (avialable at telefragged.com) has almost the same number of editing features that PSP has, and it is also free... The only problem is that it's a bit harder to use.

Bluemofia said:
Ok, any suggestions on a free software to replace MS paint? :mischief:
I hate quoting my own posts but anyways ;)
W.i.n.t.e.r said:
1st. You need Flicster to export the flc files to pcx spreadsheets, then a program like the Paint Shop Pro*/Animation Shop (that's with a freeware of PSP 4 that I do it)

I could point you to where you can get PSP4 if you PM me. BadK's suggestion to use Gimp is also useful...

Ok, I've got GIMP, and it is complex. Probably because I've been working with paint forever... So... I'll spend some time familiarizing myself with it for a while.

Hikaro Takayama said:
Believe it or not, but the Quake II and Half Life texture editor, Wally (avialable at telefragged.com) has almost the same number of editing features that PSP has, and it is also free... The only problem is that it's a bit harder to use.

Yes! I use paint and Wally, Wally is my favorite program after MS Paint, :cool:. Wally isn't that good for storyboards, though, as it doesn't like big images (and storyboards are enormous) and can't handle some of them, (it often crashes). But the pallette editor that is a regular feature in Wally is second to none, :). I've tried to use the GIMP, but it's so annoying I scream at it when I try to import storyboards! It has some stupid "invisiblity" crap built in, so it is definately my last choice for image editing.

I tried to export a storyboard using flickster but nothing happened :/ Obviously im doing something wrong.
However i can open a flc file using some other gifmaking program; is there any third program which i can use to save a gif file as a flc?
In reality i dont even remember how i converted the flc into gif in the first place (over a year ago).
Unless someone is willing to describe in detail the various stages of making a cut n paste unit i will give up, which seems likely anyway :shakehead

Okay. i'm going to go through how i make units, so it may not help you much if you don't have the same programs.

1) Choose the unit you are going to edit.

2) Open the flic you are going to edit in FLICster

3) Go to "export", change the file name if you want, and choose where you want the files to be exported to. Lets call it File 1.

Note: when you export something, it asks if you want to open the FXM. click "yes" to open this file. this is the animation that all of your changes will show up on.

4) Open Paint Shop Pro 5.

5) Open the .pcx file in File 1.

6) Start making changes to the individual frames.

Note: it is a good idea to check back in FLICster every now and again to make sure that the editing is smooth. if you are pasting something (like a new helmet) over the old, check back to FLICster every three frames of so in case you have misplaced one of the helmets by a pixel or two. 1 pixel can make all the difference. also, if you are using PSP5, ctrl-e is paste. ctrl-v is paste as new image.

7) when you have made all the changes you want, and it looks good in FLICster, go to the "export" tab of the FXM file.

8) change the file name and where you want it to be saved if you want.

9) click export.

10) if you now go to the file menu in FLICster, in the "last four things that were opened" part, you should see "InsertUnitNameHere""whatever animation you were animating".flc (for example, RatOgreAttack.flc)

11) open this to see your newly created flic.

hope this helps :) and good luck.

you can also edit pallettes and stuff, but i would leave that until you've got the hang of basic C'n'Ping. have fun!

I want to make my own units and I tried MS paint and every time I try it the Flc file ends up zooming in and looking all weird. Maybe I will try Paint shop Pro, however if anybody can help me with ms paint I would apeciate it.

Top Bottom