Oh come on...so I broke a promise 3000 years ago.

Loucypher

King
In my current game as Poland, me and Spain were all alone on a rather big island, with ocean all around us. No other civs. At all. And no Kamehameha in game, either (I make a point of turning that DLC off >.>). So anyway, at 2000 BC or so, I have a few archers setting up around Madrid as well as two Spearmen. This force (4 archers, 2 spears), Isabella sees as highly threatening despite none actually AT her border and tells me to pull back. I kindly refuse, and attack her five turns later. Taking out both Madrid and Barcelona.
Now, not only was our little continent ocean-blocked, Madrid happened to be surrounded by Ice, and Barcelona was landlocked. And with her entirely wiped out of the game, nobody would know, right?
Fast forward to the Rennasaince, where I send out a few Caravels to find some potentional trade partners (thank god for city states...) and I run into a continent with Shaka, William, Dido, Maria I, Maria T and Boudicca.
Each of them have the negative diplo modifier "You have broken a promise you made to another Civ".

HOW THE HELL DO THEY KNOW?! I mean, BNW punishes warmongers enough as it is, but even punishing warmongers when there's no way for the other civs to even KNOW what happened? Sure, they'll know I wiped Spain off the map by checking my city list, but...this should really be fixed. Come on Firaxis.

That's always been in the game, it shouldn't be fixed. Think of it as "emigration" of few people, wher it isn't significant enough to cause decreasei n the number of population, but big enough to let others know that "Our motherland was conquered by these brutes from Poland.. They teek er yobs"

When they confront you, you have a single choice, you either attack, or withdraw and wait until the promise expires (it does expire since G&K)

They saw a tapas shop in one of your cities and you didn't hide the Guernica in the museum !

That's always been in the game, it shouldn't be fixed. Think of it as "emigration" of few people, wher it isn't significant enough to cause decreasei n the number of population, but big enough to let others know that "Our motherland was conquered by these brutes from Poland.. They teek er yobs"

When they confront you, you have a single choice, you either attack, or withdraw and wait until the promise expires (it does expire since G&K)

Surely if nobody else can see it...AND it's been 3000 years ago (seriously, how'd they even tell if they can't reach anyone? The Migration angle is cute but when a military can't cross oceans, then those inhabitants of size-4-madrid and size-2-barcelona sure as hell can't) then surely stories about how exactly the sacking of Madrid went should've long faded into history, right? If any other civ sees it then sure, it'd make sense. This just doesn't.
The expiring takes what, 30 turns right? Would've been way too long.

Did Spain know the other civilizations?

There was no way for them. Even if they did have ocean-crossing-abilities, Madrid was surrounded by ice and Barcelona landlocked, so that'd have made it crazy as is. We were still on the crossway between Ancient and Classical era, too...

If the Vikings made it into Greeland surely the Spanish could too :p

Just make up a lie that you tell yourself to make this logic work.

But this is a game, and sometimes these things just have to be unrealistic.

Oh, I hate that too. In my last game Shaka asked me half a dozen times if my troops at his borders were a sign of an upcoming war - they were on my borders, protecting my civilization. One time I thought the promise was over, but it was not. There is no info anywhere, except when is expires. So I had that penalty with every civilization, known and unknown, for the rest of the game. It's annoying that they sometimes ask you way to often and that every civilization is "angry" at you, not only the one involved and maybe its friends.

Does anybody know if there is a mod which disabled that question? Sometimes it is really game-breaking if they ask you over and over so you cannot really plan when to attack.

I once had a similar experience.

So once upon a time in a game as France, I was friends with Portugal and Indonesia, having a defensive pact with both Then, out of the blue, Indonesia declares war on Portugal. I am forced to declare war on Indonesia, and the war ends in 12 turns with no fighting at all on either side. All of a sudden, that becomes a large negative modifier against me. The age of exploration kicks around, and every Civ I meet is a little suspicious of me, though to be fair, Portugal had already met most of the Civs. Still, I doubt they would be mad about a war I had to declare war on, and for their benefit.

In my current game as Poland, me and Spain were all alone on a rather big island, with ocean all around us. No other civs. At all. And no Kamehameha in game, either (I make a point of turning that DLC off >.>). So anyway, at 2000 BC or so, I have a few archers setting up around Madrid as well as two Spearmen. This force (4 archers, 2 spears), Isabella sees as highly threatening despite none actually AT her border and tells me to pull back. I kindly refuse, and attack her five turns later. Taking out both Madrid and Barcelona.
Now, not only was our little continent ocean-blocked, Madrid happened to be surrounded by Ice, and Barcelona was landlocked. And with her entirely wiped out of the game, nobody would know, right?
Fast forward to the Rennasaince, where I send out a few Caravels to find some potentional trade partners (thank god for city states...) and I run into a continent with Shaka, William, Dido, Maria I, Maria T and Boudicca.
Each of them have the negative diplo modifier "You have broken a promise you made to another Civ".

HOW THE HELL DO THEY KNOW?! I mean, BNW punishes warmongers enough as it is, but even punishing warmongers when there's no way for the other civs to even KNOW what happened? Sure, they'll know I wiped Spain off the map by checking my city list, but...this should really be fixed. Come on Firaxis.

Did you by chance let some of these City States spot you slaughtering an innocent and peaceful nation !? :p

There are currently enough positif modifiers to get A Ai to like you vote yes for their proposols and make a Ai leader of the world congress they will like you for it.

I guess backstabbing just adds to the "character" of your civ. In real life, every civ has stereotypes whether true or not. So by breaking promises your civ becomes known as sneaky, untrustworthy, unethical etc. Although I do think that 3,000 years is a very long time to continue to see somebody in a certain light regardless of all the events that happened since then. And civs change over time. The Greeks of 2013 are like a totally different civ compared to the Greeks of 500 BC.

"Ahhh..." The voice was a rumbling basso. "I seen to recall my own topic about this exact issue some time ago." The words crawled off his tongue. "Poland and I, the Great Genghis Khan, had some disagreements on our territorial lands, and I, ahhh..." His voice trailed off for a moment. "Found a solution to our issue."

Gain control of the World Congress or greet them the way you greeted Spain.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I would like to sign this contract but my friend archeologist found that your great great great great ... ... Father lied about not invading our borders about 3000 years ago, so you understand ...

I would like to sign this contract but my friend archeologist found that your great great great great ... ... Father lied about not invading our borders about 3000 years ago, so you understand ...

Only about 120 generations later, but they are still upset.

Come on guys, some compromises have to be done to level the field vs the AI...

I mean, the human player would immediately know who was being an ******* in that other continent the moment he/she can see the city names... if there is only one civ in said continent, but cities are named after different civilizations, we know we are dealing with a bully, and we immediately flag him as "next" ;)... AI has to have something similar to balance the field.

Moderator Action: Please do not use unacceptable language and try to evade the autocensor. Changed word to acceptable usage.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Yeah, I'm with Aristos, surely you're society isn't that homogenous. Someone on one of your ships must've told the folks on the other continent what you did way back when.

Word gets around. Live with it.

Glad im not the only one that doesnt like these things.

I don't know about you but I'm still pretty mad about those Italians wiping out the Gauls.

Hey now now! We didn't want to wipe you, Caesar went up to England then you Gauls started acting up so he came back.
Why couldn't we just drink our wine together and get along :( all we wanted is conquer the world in the name of booze.

Top Bottom