Your favourite Civs and why?

A_Drunken_Scot

Chieftain
I just wanted to create a discussion (sorry if this is the wrong place but I thought the premise of the thread would be correct for the board).

So I just wondered if people here could perhaps list a Civ they like (say for example Morocco) and why they are your favourite. For example you can spam trade routes and make tons of money but perhaps be a bit more in-depth with how you win with them.

I have only ever used Maya, Babylon, Korea, Poland, Japan in my 132 hours of playing and thought it would be good if people shared why X Civ was there favourite.

I use the 5 power civs, Maya, Babylon, Poland, Korea and Shoshone a lot. Besides them I use Celts, Aztecs, Carthage, Byzantium, Huns, Songhai & Austria. I don't really have a favourite.

I like to go wide warmonger with the celts, dropping half a dozen cities with liberty and being pretty much guaranteed to get a religion while doing it without having to waste the liberty finisher on a Prophet.
Aztecs are fun because they can get so spectacularly tall, three or four jags early in the game can really rush through tradition for free aquaducts, and the floating gardens is one of the most powerful UBs in the game.
Carthage are very fun if you get a lot of coast, hitting renaissance slightly late with 8 cities, lots of happiness and lots of hammers sets up an incredibly powerful late game.
Byzantium because of the superpowered religion, Church Property + Tithe with GMoD and Borobdur gives Venetian levels of income.
Huns for the badass early game military.
Songhai, I've never quite got them working the way I wanted, but I keep on trying. Their bonuses are individually quite good, but collectively kind of disjointed.
Austria, spectacularly powerful for tall peaceful play, the spawn bias means mountains, the UB means extra GP, and the UA means you can add two or three cities in the late game to take advantage of your ideologies happiness.

I use the 5 power civs, Maya, Babylon, Poland, Korea and Shoshone a lot. Besides them I use Celts, Aztecs, Carthage, Byzantium, Huns, Songhai & Austria. I don't really have a favourite.

I like to go wide warmonger with the celts, dropping half a dozen cities with liberty and being pretty much guaranteed to get a religion while doing it without having to waste the liberty finisher on a Prophet.
Aztecs are fun because they can get so spectacularly tall, three or four jags early in the game can really rush through tradition for free aquaducts, and the floating gardens is one of the most powerful UBs in the game.
Carthage are very fun if you get a lot of coast, hitting renaissance slightly late with 8 cities, lots of happiness and lots of hammers sets up an incredibly powerful late game.
Byzantium because of the superpowered religion, Church Property + Tithe with GMoD and Borobdur gives Venetian levels of income.
Huns for the badass early game military.
Songhai, I've never quite got them working the way I wanted, but I keep on trying. Their bonuses are individually quite good, but collectively kind of disjointed.
Austria, spectacularly powerful for tall peaceful play, the spawn bias means mountains, the UB means extra GP, and the UA means you can add two or three cities in the late game to take advantage of your ideologies happiness.

How would you say that you use the Shoshone? Their ability does look quite interesting.

Two pathfinders right away. Take culture first, then pop, tech, weapons, pop, faith.
Steal some workers, build some settlers.
The ability to get everything so fast, to have five pop so early, to have lots of production tiles to work to get the settlers out, to get enough faith for a pantheon without any shrines and to get a couple of early comps to defend it all (with a defensive bonus). It sets up a very powerful basis from which to pursue any victory condition.

Two pathfinders right away. Take culture first, then pop, tech, weapons, pop, faith.
Steal some workers, build some settlers.
The ability to get everything so fast, to have five pop so early, to have lots of production tiles to work to get the settlers out, to get enough faith for a pantheon without any shrines and to get a couple of early comps to defend it all (with a defensive bonus). It sets up a very powerful basis from which to pursue any victory condition.

That does build what looks to be a very exciting game. I can imagine this helping a lot when you expand a lot with loads of food so you fight enemies across your huge borders.

Just thinking this must be extremely helpful against Barbarians.

I don't exactly have a favorite Civ - but one of the fun ones is Polynesia on archipelago. Build 4-5 Scouts early, start swimming everywhere, scouting good city sites and nabbing ruins way before anyone else even can embark. You will get a ton of 30 golds by meeting CS's first. Just make sure to end your turn in ocean once barbs start building ships!

I found maximizing culture by Moai placement brought a whole new layer to the game (the more Maoi that touch, the higher the culture). Just a really fun diversion.

Spain as they can make some useless NW into something workable, and good NW into something exceptional.
Second is Polynesia as mentioned earlier you can embark and sail over ocean from turn 0. Also the Moai can be OP especially when you build hotels, airports and the NVC.

Spain as they can make some useless NW into something workable, and good NW into something exceptional.
Second is Polynesia as mentioned earlier you can embark and sail over ocean from turn 0. Also the Moai can be OP especially when you build hotels, airports and the NVC.

Spain could be good but I imagine it quite the coin toss game with them isn't it? Would you say that Polynesia are purely catered to a cultural victory?

I don't exactly have a favorite Civ - but one of the fun ones is Polynesia on archipelago. Build 4-5 Scouts early, start swimming everywhere, scouting good city sites and nabbing ruins way before anyone else even can embark. You will get a ton of 30 golds by meeting CS's first. Just make sure to end your turn in ocean once barbs start building ships!

I found maximizing culture by Moai placement brought a whole new layer to the game (the more Maoi that touch, the higher the culture). Just a really fun diversion.

Yeah I can imagine the more cities you found (say even with 4 cities) the amount of Moai you could get would be awesome combined with all the culture.

Incans: Great UA for scouting and warring, great unique tile improvement that let you settle places you normally would not. And upgraded Slingers that run over hills and escape melee attacks are just killers. All in all Incans is fun because they are good for whatever VC you like.

The only downside is that their colors is not that great to look at.

Incans: Great UB for scouting and warring, great unique tile improvement that let you settle places you normally would not. And upgraded Slingers that run over hills and escape melee attacks are just killers. All in all Incans is fun because they are good for whatever VC you like.

The only downside is that their colors is not that great to look at.

I can imagine what with their UB they can stock up a huge amount of food for growth and science.

I guess Babylon. Turbo boosters on the science, and a killer early rush. Or england on an archipelago map.

I'm a Shoshone fan. That early game can't be beat. While everyone else is waiting for culture to grab the tiles they need most, the Shoshone can grab them right away. We all know the Pathfinder is awesome as well, if not OP.

I like Venice for the unique playstyle. It's also ridiculously easy to make money with Venice. Just send out a bunch of trade routes and watch the money flow in. I tend to buy most buildings in my capital, important ones in my puppets (so, science buildings), and spend a lot of time Wonder spamming as Venice. It's good fun. The only downside is that if you lose Venice, you've pretty much lost.

Poland is OP but good fun to do weird things with that you just can't do with any other civ, and the Inca can take advantage of the hilly terrain they often spawn in better than anyone else in the game. Food on top of all the production they'll have is just nuts. Spain is an all or nothing civ, but if you get a good Natural Wonder, oh boy. They aren't very good without one, but if I get one, I find them to be one of the more fun civs in the game.

...I guess I like some of the best civs. =p

I like Greece the most. Its one of the best CIVs in the hands of the AI, so playing it means you are not gonna face em :D Their UA is sick, sadly other than that they are basicly generic CIV. Its a bit sad, that the CIV with one of the greatest cultures doesn't get a unique building or tile replacement.

Still, more often than not I play with random civ.

I have only played this game a handful of times but I jumped straight to immortal and won my first game as Shoshone in a dip victory with fairly high warmonger; by taking out 2 civs entirely and passing world ideology and embargo to cripple the third. Prob not the most difficult way to win but I did it and I have yet to get out of the first 100 turns with any other civ without the stench of defeat.

I'm fairly certain Shoshone is complete broken as a civ and needs balance.

Top Bottom