When your war preparation proves inadequate...

I_Scorpio

Chieftain
So, I recently started playing the game again. Played Romans on continents, Noble, Huge, Marathon. It's 1846.

Background: I control my whole continent, while on the other continent, Willem managed to vassal both Toku & Ragnar. Brennus was doing his own thing and didn't like Willem & his vassals.

My original plan was to keep good relations with Brennus (he's the weaker party) while I build up my military for a campaign of conquest against Willem, who was gaining tech and his vassals were helping him.

While preparing to load troops and go to war, Brennus, who became pleased the turn before, declares war on me, and conquers an ice city I put there for resource. He also landed an SoD on my east coast. I cancel my invasion plans and manage, barely to repel the attack (bulk of my troops were upgraded riflemen with city raider). Naturally the troops came at the expense of teching, so by the time I was ready for another war, Brennus was gaining in tech as well. I made the tactical error of targeting Brennus; I still had significant war weariness against him, and the unhappiness plagued me. While it was victory after victory, I still had to be careful, and lost troops in engagements. I ended up declaring peace as my war machine ran out of steam, and I couldn't wait due to unhappiness issues. I refused his capitulation as the cities I had conquered were surrounded by his culture.

Story now: Anyway, I get fighters, and begin loading troops to the north, where Amsterdam is. After many turns of preparation, I launch an attack, and manage to take two cities. Because I needed to heal troops, Willem manages to put 21 troops (12 cuirs) facing my army of few riflemen, infantry, cav, & cannon (many effectively useless for few turns as too damaged). His airships keep targeting my troops, and I can't bring all my fighters to bear as only 8 can be within range and I don't have carriers. Worse, I'm getting some unhappiness already. Silver lining, though, is that I have naval superiority and I'm in the process of blockading him and his vassals completely. The two cities I took will basically starve, and losing them won't affect him much as his cities have a lot of overlap.

Anyway, what I'll think I'll do is maintain my war, switch to police state, and slowly airlift and transport tanks to the front and take Willem down, even if lasts until the end of the game.

Attachments

• Civ4 (1).jpg
    Civ4 (1).jpg
    172 KB · Views: 209
  • civ4 (4).jpg
    civ4 (4).jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 151
  • civ4 (3).jpg
    civ4 (3).jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 119
  • civ4 (2).jpg
    civ4 (2).jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 92
Those graphs are not very helpful to give advice. Post screens of tech trade screen and the screen that shows units and buildings built (order them based on most built by clicking at the top of those columns), then it's much easier to say what went wrong. Or even better, post save.

21 backwards units shouldn't be a problem with an empire the size of yours. Just bring enough cannons. Or actually, you should have artillery before fighters. With artillery and infantry, nothing can stop you.

1846 and only rifles on Nobel. Your problems were much earlier in the game.

I have riflemen left over, now it's tanks and marines. But yeah, tech was hurt when upgrading swords/mace to riflemen.

Don't bother, just draft rifles, or whip them
He can't draft them anymore, he'd draft infantry, which is less efficient.

But yeah, don't bother with tanks, too expensive. If Willem's cuirs are frightening you, it means he doesn't even have rifling yet. You've had rifling for quite some time if you have tanks already. You also have like 50 cities. With 50 cities you can whip/draft 100 rifles in no time. So the question is, do you have 100 rifles attacking? Probably not if a stack of 21 units, including 12 cuirs, is a problem.

The thing is, when you go to war, you go to war. When you reach rifling and are ahead as much as you were at that time, just stop teching, go into nationhood and draft as much as possible, and whip, whip again, then whip some more. Don't build libraries, forums and temples and don't bother with too much navy.

Top Bottom