BOTM 88 (Hammurabi) First Spoiler - 1 AD

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff

BOTM 88 (Hammurabi, Deity) - First Spoiler

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD! How did it go? Have you survived deity so far? Built any wonders? Conquered anyone?

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 88, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
  • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions

• Please do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
  • Please do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
  • Please do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD. (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
  • Please do not reveal names or locations of any civilization not accessible by galleys.
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

At 1AD all looks incredibly well for a deity game, but thanks of course to nice land and resources with virtually no competition to settle into it.

After a long look in the end I just settled in place. Copper next to the capital was a blessing for the race towards the GLH, which I built in 1680BC. That basically financed the whole enterprise. By 1AD I got 12 cities, with the eastern part of the island settled, as well as 3 off shore cities to the south. A barb city at a silver resource will be nr 13 soon, hopefully. Techwise, up to paper and half way philosophy due in 2 turns. Doing a nice sustainable 280 bpt now. Have monopoly on CS and paper.

All looks so well, that it might even be winnable. :D Sure it'll go down the drain somewhere though. Not sure whether to go for cuirs/cavs, or cannons and rifles. Or maybe go Sushi with all the sea food around. Lots of options here. :dunno: At least the good news is that I'm alive and even looking to be kicking a bit later. ;)

I settled on a corn for faster worker. Lost all wonders :D

Have 12 cities, iron is lost to Chinese. I used GS for Philo to stop AIs rushing liberalism.
I am few turns to CS, no barb problems and dont know how to proceed.
In theory the game should be won, but cannot decide if go for diplo or sushi powered culture (4 religions in borders, except the most wanted hindu :( ). As I have completely NO experience on deity, I am a little aware of space race

Settled 2N on the Plains Hill. Settling away from the coast turned out to be a mistake when there was no good production site for the GLH and lost the race to Mao. Luckily, he built it in a city right across the channel. This made my major goal of the game to capture that city. To add to the incentive, Mao settled a city on the barren west corner of my home island, on top of the Iron, which must be removed.

In the BC years I settled 2 other cities on the main island, as well as one on Elephant Island and two on the eastern landmass behind the peak. At 1AD, I have 6 War Elephants, 4 Catapults, and 2 Axemen ready to cross the channel, plus a Spy planted in the GLH city to cause a revolt. Longbows have just started popping up, but the GLH is still defended mostly by Archers and Chariots so I think I have a good chance of capturing and holding it.

So far the game has been much easier than normal due to the protected and commerce rich start. I doubt I can war successfully on Deity or win the space race, so my most likely plan is to try to settle the New World before anyone else gets there and use the extra population to push for an AP or UN win.

I doubt I can war successfully on Deity or win the space race, so my most likely plan is to try to settle the New World before anyone else gets there and use the extra population to push for an AP or UN win.
Why do you think there's a New World to be settled? Maybe you have charted most of the globe? This map is fractal so there's no guarantee of anything. Except that terrain has been edited or the coast jungle is a natural occurrence.

I'm alive and have kept everyone else off my islands. The barbs have a city south of silver, otherwise a very barb-poor game (not that I'm complaining). Unless I'm invaded I expect to survive until the AI's get privateers, pillage the fishing boats and blockade me to starvation. Not a particularly evil deity game so far. Thanks DS.

Pretty similar situation as others, SIP with 8 cities and 53 pop. Got the GLH in 1520 BC, same turn that Brennus got the Oracle. The iron spot was so pathetic that I left it too long and Mao settled on it. Plan is to quickly capture it when I need iron to upgrade trebs to cannon at some point in the future. Techwise I have everything up through the 6th column other than HBR and 3 turns to Machinery, plus Music (1st) and CoL. Last in score with 708 vs Brennus' leading 1282. Nice to have a relatively easy start for a Deity game. :) Thank you, DS!

My experience seems to be the same as everyone else. Never had such an easy Deity game. At 1 AD I have 12 cities, can do over 240 beakers at break even.

Seeing coast in both direction and a island to the south and plenty of trees I had decided on the GLH before I downloaded the game. I finished it in 1520 BC.

Everyone is Hindu except the Germans and the Celts who are Jewish and Buddhist. My plan is to dominate tech and then kill of the heretics.

The Germans have settled triple dye. That was pretty much my fault for not clearing out barbs there earlier. I settled much worse places. It has made me consider drastic measures but I think I will just continue to get Education/oxford and then attack them.

12 cities, land for 2 more (which I probably wont settle), 2 GS (1 bubled philosopy, one waiting to bulb edu) 1 GA (free from music, golden age), 380BPT (-83GPT), TGL in 1560BC and halfway to 16th (going slow due to no marble, but nobody else have music so Im confient I will get it). Hindu along with mao and montezuma, also got judism and philosophy. Hoping to get buddism and go for culture victory (buddism and philosophy both need copper for spesial building, which we have:king:).

Currently have techs up to education (including nationalism, hoping to get the golden age wonder). Couple of war on the other side of the continent, and have Brennus in WHEOOH. Pretty sure he will attack mao or charlemage, but Im also a viable target. If Brennus dosn't attack me, I have a decent chance of victory.

do not like sea maps... so played 1 hour session to 1st AD in a click-by-click stile :lol:

7 cities, CS, no religion. Nice map but have no idea what i shall to do...

SIP, btw, but i do not like start position.

Gosha190, I find it to be one of the best starting positions I have seen. What would have improved it? Is it just that you find it boring?

We have both gold and gems. Add to that no deity barbs, good amount of forests for a great lighthouse, plenty of happiness resources not far away. Massive income from foreign trade routes with all opponents on a different landmass and with all AIs on the same landmass and not on ours we are a very unlikely target for war.

I have no idea what kind of maps you usually play but you must really be spoiled very lucky with your start positions.

Settled the plains hill to the north not knowing it would make the northern fish unavailable. Worked out OK though with fast expansion. The island was easy to fog-bust and no barb cities appeared anywhere. Got the GLH a bit late (1240 BC) due to the non-coastal capital. Made some halfhearted attempts at HG and The Mausoleum but both went to Brennus. Only war I have engaged in is a phony one with Monty which has gained me a lot of shared war diplomatic bonusses with Mao, Joao and Frederick. Joao is Friendly and the top dog. I'm planning to steal Philo and Feudalism from him or get them in trade.
At 1AD I have 15 cities and 90 pop. All cities are on the islands. Astro will be done in 3 turns and in 7 turns a GS should give me Engineering. The plan is to go for Gunpowder and MilTrad and war. The game looks winnable but I'm not sure I will have the time to finish it because wars on Deity are incredibly sluggish with the huge AI stacks.
Anyway, nice to play a Deity map with a fair winning chance :goodjob:

Settled the plains hill to the north not knowing it would make the northern fish unavailable. Worked out OK though with fast expansion. The island was easy to fog-bust and no barb cities appeared anywhere. Got the GLH a bit late (1240 BC) due to the non-coastal capital. Made some halfhearted attempts at HG and The Mausoleum but both went to Brennus. Only war I have engaged in is a phony one with Monty which has gained me a lot of shared war diplomatic bonusses with Mao, Joao and Frederick. Joao is Friendly and the top dog. I'm planning to steal Philo and Feudalism from him or get them in trade.
At 1AD I have 15 cities and 90 pop. All cities are on the islands. Astro will be done in 3 turns and in 7 turns a GS should give me Engineering. The plan is to go for Gunpowder and MilTrad and war. The game looks winnable but I'm not sure I will have the time to finish it because wars on Deity are incredibly sluggish with the huge AI stacks.
Anyway, nice to play a Deity map with a fair winning chance :goodjob:

90 pop sounds like a very strong game. What was your economy?

Easter weekend provided a little bit of free time, so I decided I would play a little bit of civ, and I figured I would fire up this game and get my butt quickly kicked by Deity AI and be finished well before the weekend is over.

Well, at 0AD, not only does my butt remain un-kicked, but my position is actually relatively promissing!

I started up the game and looked at the starting position for a while. On Deity, I can usually get exactly one wonder when I really go for it, but find that even attempting a second one tends to lead to disaster. Like most everyone, I concluded that the wonder of choice on this map is GLH, and I decided to go all out for it.

Where to settle? If I want GLH, I need a fast coastal start... I could settle in place, but then I realized something. Settling on corn not only gets the worker our 3 turns faster, but it also makes growth up to size 4 two turns fast, and to size 5 one other turn faster, so it gets us to the happy gap a full 6 turns earlier! That should account for a 7 or so earlier GLH, and it will be a long time before the "wasted" corn is noticed since the capital has too much food, and will need to share some of it anyway.

So, Settle-on-corn, Worker first, then warrior... Mine, BW, (Yeah, Copper!), Fish, Sail, Masonry.... As soon as BW came in, I revolted to slavery and 4->2 whipped a worker to get ready to set up cities 2 and 3, and start choping forrests in preperation for quick-building the wonder. This brought in GLH on turn 55 (1800 BC, I beleive), with only 3 cities total (including Capital), so it is not paying big time yet, but it is secured, and will power the rex.

By that time I had met two civs workboats, but have scouted enought to know we are semi isolated and have the chance to expand, so I go full-rex mode...

At 0AD, I have 15 cities (including one at silver taken from the barbs), and control my island and the 3 (include the single tile one) islands to the south. I was a bit two slow on the Incense site, and Mao settled it about 10 turns before I was going to. Might have to take that out at a later date.

My 15 cities are:

-5 to the west of the mountain: Capital, Gems, Gold, Cow just east of the mountain, and a Helper-city in the NE corner. Together with 1-tile island, these can help the Capital work all 10 of its cottages!
-4 to the east of the mountain: One in each corner, covering all tiles on the land mass, Dye city was settled on the east most dye and contains 4 tiles with 5+ food. It will be the GP-farm.
-1 tile island city (intended to help crow cottages.)
-2 cities on elephant island, one directly on the elephant, since I wanted the happy without sending an early worker over there.
-3 on Fur island (including the capture at Silver, one on the eastern fur, and one at the eastern end for the seafood.)

Tech wise, the Deity AI are not as fast as I would have feared. Indeed, their speed is pretty perfect for my needs, as they currently are prooving to be effective trading partners without scaring the living daylight out of me like Deities usually do. They got Alpha on turn 74 (1040 BC) and I have been able to get:

Alpha, Hunting, IW, AH, Math, Calender, Machinery, Construction

Having had to give up:

MC, COL, (Alpha),Philo

Which, at 0AD leaves me with all the "C's" (Calender, Construction, Currency, COL, CS), Machining, Paper an Education.

I have only had one GP so far, an he was used for a bulb (I think on education, but cannot remember with absolute certainty). The second one will come in 13 turns, and will be a GE or GM from the capital (combined 100% odds) which will be saved for a corperation... Hoping for a GE to pair with the GM from Economics, and go Sushi-Mining.

I am pulling in 427 bpt at 100%, and just over 300% bpt at breakeven. I have 670 gc in the bank which is enough to push to Print-Press which is 4 turns away. That is slightly too early actually, since only 4 cottages are matured enough to benifit from it, but there was nothing else more urgent to tech.

Oxford looks like it about 30 turns away without stone, and having already chopped all my forrests into settlers earlier. My and the AI's tech pace means that not only is liberalism pretty much a sure thing, but I am even dreaming of libing at least astronomy, and dare I consider a Deity liberation of Sci-Meth?? With GLH as powerful as it is, I am thinking that I should get the unlocking tech for the corperations (Medicine and RR) before shutting off the LH with corperations.

Who knows, I might even have time to finish this game. I certainly do not have time to play a war game at Deity, but 15 cities might just be enough to get a pretty standard peaceful 1800 space ship launch. With the current pace of the Deity AI, if I can keep all of them from attacking me (which seems plausible in this set-up, especially since I have avoided religion, and plan to go directly to Free-religion withou ever taking one, while they are already unhappy with each others choice of beleif system) and as long as none of them roles all their neighbours and turns into a Monster, 1800 might beat all these AI to space.

I appreciate the effort to give us easy breezy deity. Much more original than serving up hard noble for the umptieth time.

Question: I chopped 30 hammers to a city I just conquered. The hammers don't show because the city is in resistance. Will I get them later or did I waste them ?

You will get the chop after the revolt is over.

Top Bottom