Barbarian Colour Change

True_Candyman

Emperor
The idea that the barbarians have had a colour change has recently been mentioned but not really discussed. I thought it definitely deserves a thread to consider it. Here i've assembled some information as to why:

Shawnee would get red and black [colours for their civ]:

Here it is blown up, coutesy of MaximusK:

This could provide some evidence for a Shawnee civ in the expansion pack in red and black. Colours that would make considerable sense to them. In this screenshot above we have a red and black unit that is clearly native american. On its own, this wouldn't have much weight.

Alongside this mysterious axeman and red and black worker has been spotted. At this point i might add that this worker as well could be that of a new civ. The only two barbarian exclusive units, the brute and the galley, could disprove this theory if spotted in red and black, but as of yet there is no such sighting.

Add to that one final touch, and we may have a case. The guys at firaxis read the forums and there was considerable complaint post g&k about the colour of Ethiopia being too similar to that of the barbarians. Considering this, they could change the Ethiopians colours, but if a civ that conveniently fits the red and black scheme were to present itself, alternatives could be considered...

Could this be a Menzie?

There are a few press people who visit this forum and have gotten a hands-on with the game; I would presume that they have seen barbs in their runs. I suppose we could just ask them if the colors are different. :lol:

a) It's a new barbarian unit

b) It's an UU from a Civ not yet revealed, but given to barbarians to confuse us

c) It's for the new black-and-red Shawnee Civ, barbarians will get a new color theme

Personally I belive it will be option b), but a cool theory for Shawnee anyway.. :)

Yeah, I've been wondering this too (which is why I suggested it). I suppose the question is where that screenshot came from. Was it from the PAX demo (in which case we could see the minimap) or something else?

It's an intriguing idea that would remove my entire objection to showing the unit as a barbarian. If those actually are the Shawnee colors, that's hiding it in plain sight rather than misleading people.

That being said, if their only association with red and black is warpaint, I wouldn't read too much into it without further info. The Shawnee are not impossible, though, so let's wait and see for more info.

I recall in one of the recent videos the "loading bar" was shown at the bottom, which would probably show what color the Barbarians are when the "Taking Barbarian Turn" bit comes up.

Now I come to think about it, that axe unit flag does look like a tomahawk...

Yeah, I've been wondering this too (which is why I suggested it). I suppose the question is where that screenshot came from. Was it from the PAX demo (in which case we could see the minimap) or something else?

It was from an article i believe, a screenie not a still from a video so no minimap.

I would guess it is from "Vandal" since that's the name across the bottom right of the screenie.

Also could we organise some kind of manhunt for ANY evidence of other barbarian units? I've been looking through the screenie threads but i seriously can't find any. Even where you would expect some to be.

I'm starting to think they may have removed them from demo builds so the authors can't write about them. Conspiracy?

I recall in one of the recent videos the "loading bar" was shown at the bottom, which would probably show what color the Barbarians are when the "Taking Barbarian Turn" bit comes up.

I vaguely recall that too. Does someone remember which video?

I thought somebody mentioned that it was different, but I don't recall different how.

It was a stereotypical Viking horned hat, instead of just a red city-state icon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m6LHvaiTIc#t=03m44s

Yup, and it was red and black. The plot thickens...

There was also a barbarian archer earlier in the vid and it was being attacked so there was no icon (and thus colour) visible for them.

I'd still like to see a unit with a red/black icon before i write this theory off.

but what color do you give the Barbarian's if black and red are taken ? I was thinking the goths color just opposite because the goths have black and white not white and black

The horned hat is probably barbarian then. If anything, this strikes me as part of a deliberate effort to make the barbarians more unique. You can see the mini-map there too which makes it a bit shaky.

Barbarian captured worker

I circled it on the left

The horned hat is probably barbarian then. If anything, this strikes me as part of a deliberate effort to make the barbarians more unique. You can see the mini-map there too which makes it a bit shaky.

You raise a good point. It does kinda suggest they are wanting to differentiate the barbarians by giving them a new icon. There is a chance for diversified barbarians i guess

Barbarian captured worker

I circled it on the left

Awesome find! That's that for the colour change then i guess.

Or maybe i'm giving up too easy... That could have been captured by a civ ;) In fact, unless we explicitly see a red and black galley or brute we can't rule out the possibility. The search continues!!!

Lol my post was used for a theory I don't support (I don't mind though). I really don't think barbarian's are getting a color change and I don't think the axemen are new UU's. I really think they're trying to make the barbs ethnically diverse.

Lol my post was used for a theory I don't support (I don't mind though). I really don't think barbarian's are getting a color change and I don't think the axemen are new UU's. I really think they're trying to make the barbs ethnically diverse.

Now you now how Menzies feels XD

That's fair enough. Either theory has it's reasoning. We await more details.

But this colour change theory can be ruled out if anyone happens to sport a red/black galley or brute. Those are the only two barbarian UU's to date i believe? So it would be inconsistent to see them in red and black if they had become a civs colours.

Top Bottom